Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sobering.

Mark,
Are all cops so well spoken in their report statements? Us civilians do not realize that just catching bad guys is only part of the job. Being able to relate the facts of a case in a clear, concise manner that will withstand cross examination is an equally important part of the job.

Not exactly the knee slapper I was hoping for. Certainly there must be some fun stuff that happens on your shift.

Scott

·
Registered
390 Posts
Charles said:
Damn, Mark. What a downer. Thanks for nothing.
For one, it is a downer and a hell of an eye-opener. Secondly, I have such a great appreciation for law enforcement and what they do for my community and the communities around me that I can't thank them enough. Third, "thanks for nothing"......you're serious??? Actually Mark, thank you for everything. It's a damn shame that things like this happen and its a damn shame it doesn't have any positive effects on the individuals who will continue to drive after having only a few drinks.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I appreciate the story Mark. The funny stories are part of any job, it just seems cooler when cops have them, because "citizens" don't get to do all the fun stuff with guns and company cars, and also for the most part aren't interacting with weird people in the wee hours of the morning. We have to remember that there are bad sides of the job too, it's not all fun and games. Yeah, they get cool stories, but they also get some really f-ed up experiences, like the one Mark posted. I'm sure that's part of every cop's job, but of course nobody really wants to hear about organic matter from a guy's head all over the pavement. If you only heard the funny stuff, would you respect the guy who pulls you over for speeding, thinking he's going to bust out with a wise ass comment or something, not thinking about the fact that he's withing arm's reach of a car going [the posted speed limit of] 65 mph?
I personally know a few (very few) cops. A really good friend of my family was in tower 2 on 9/11, she trains NY state police. Her partner died when it collapsed, and they were walking out of the building together. She doesn't talk about it, and I don't think anyone expects her to. Today I had to go to court again for my speeding incident, and the judge was late, I talked to a few of the police that were there waiting. They were really cool guys, busting my balls about speeding of course ("come on man, how fast were you going, really?"), but when they were talking to each other about the stuff they were there for, I couldn't imagine being in their shoes. I kind of felt bad for wasting their time for speeding, and this is Vermont! How much bad stuff actually happens!?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I just meant that I read it expecting something humorous. I do appreciate the job he is doing.

However, I do not have the "great appreciation" you do for law enforcement in general. No offense to Mark of course. Just don't have much respect for many of the bubbas with badges in my neck of the woods. I think that the combination of low pay and low standards have meant that we have more adrenaline junkies than rational law enforcement officers. My nephew being a prime example.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't mean to go off topic... but I agree with you Charles. There are the good and there are the bad. It's a shame that the good aren't recognized enough for what they do. It's a shame that the bad give you and other people that perception of law enforcement. Fortunately not all law enforcement plays the role that yours do in your area. I'm extremely thankful for that it seems. =P

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Charles, if I based it on my local cops, I would feel the same way you do. Twice in my memory, all but one of the police in the town I grew up in were fired. Both times for using marijuana or booze they took from DWIs. My mother and stepfather both teach a couple of towns away. They know every cop in that town, because they were all former students (it's good for them, they never get tickets!). My mum thinks that they were all "troubled" kids in high school, and basically fit your description.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
downest said:
Charles, if I based it on my local cops, I would feel the same way you do. Twice in my memory, all but one of the police in the town I grew up in were fired. Both times for using marijuana or booze they took from DWIs.
I thought that was Highway... the local cops just help run the stuff :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.