Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at it today and have a chance to pick up an 88-89 Crx Si for $400. Not exactly sure which year it is, but it is 88-89. It comes pretty complete and in stock form (Only things i saw missing were bumper lights & shift knob). I am thinking of picking this up, stritcly as a parts car as the body is pretty whooped. Figured there may be some interest for parts out there and am trying to see if it is worth me picking up and having it hauled home. Everything else looks to be in good shape. Interior is pretty decent,(climate control is cracked) sunroof panel is NOT rotten, nice front bumper with OEM lip in really good shape, motor and engine bay look to be pretty clean and in good shape as well, so that's a good sign. I was told that it ran great before it was taken off the road and also told that i "could drive it home if i wanted to", at my own risk because it is no longer registered. So there is hope that it still may turn over and fire up, with some help.

So any advice, thoughts or am I crazy?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If you have the time, can make the 400 back easy and then start turning a profit, and don't mind having a half-eaten car hanging around, go for it!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ragnaarok said:
If you have the time, can make the 400 back easy and then start turning a profit, and don't mind having a half-eaten car hanging around, go for it!
Being layed off, i have the time... :lol: and as the pic below shows, i have had no problem in the past with having half eaten Crx's in my driveway.
(My old winter beater '91 Si AFTER i parted it out)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tiersin said:
Dibs on the D/S fender. If your willing to ship, I'm willing yo pay.
HackAbuse said:
Dibs on the side mouldings
WHOA,WHOA, WHOA...

Let's not jump the gun, I don't yet have the car in my possesion. I am still mulling it over to see if it would be worth it for me to pick it up and need to arrange transportation for it also. Based on the responses so far, it may be worth my time... :lol:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Dibs on all the dibs!

I could use a PS fender if ya get it. oh, and sme tail lights to mess with to start experimenting for an LED conversion I got in mind. No sense hacking up my nice 90-91s. How's the hood? I could use one of those too so I dont ruin the CF ZC one in winter around here. Ooo, and the cargo divider and cover. And radio bezel...

Just get it already. lol

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mithuth said:
How's the hood? I could use one of those too so I dont ruin the CF ZC one in winter around here.
I have an extra hood sitting here right now. Give you that and some cash for that CF Zc hood of yours.... 8)

I can see the demand for parts is high :D, I guess i should jump on this.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
If you think you can get more than $400 out of it, I'd say go for it. I'd see if you could talk him down though...I see it pretty tough to pay that much for a parts car, unless there's some definite items that will bring in profit fairly easily (i.e. mint climate control, seats, floormats, door panels, door sashes, performance parts, etc.). I've done really well with my last two CRXs I parted out...although I didn't really get them to make a profit. All the money I got from them just went back into my other CRX, so I saw it as my 'car part fund'.
I just sent off my last one yesterday (89 Si)...worked out great. A guy was selling it for $400 on the local SCCA forum, I went and checked it out and it rusted as hell, hit in the back right corner, and reaked of mice piss and mildew in the interior. But there were some good parts. I ended up waiting him out and told him I'd give him $200 if he delivered it. He said ok and called me up the day he was going to bring it over and said it wouldn't run, so I said I'd give him $100. He delivered and it just sat where he left it over the winter and I just recently removed the mint seats, and ok condition floor mats. I just sold the rest of it for $175 to get it out of my hair since I won't have time with all the other crap I've got going on right now. Pretty sweet, huh?
I could have made more money parting it out, but there are just too many variables right now that it worked out great seeing it go with just a $75, a pair of mint seats, and floor mats as a holding fee. :lol:

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the interior is pretty clean. Just a quick glance, the carpet was in decent shape. Storage box door had been cut out for some speakers, but the cargo divider and cargo cover look to be intact. Seats are not mint, but def not bad. Tail lights, headlights and corner lights are in good shape. Front bumper is nice and has the OEM 88-89 lip on it, rear bumper is good too. Didn't see or smell any mildew/mold.

I could prob make my money back if i tore it completly down., we'll see.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Just get it. you already know you're going to, you just want us to confirm what you've already decided. lol.

drop me a PM when you get it, I'll take the cargo cover and divider for sure, and I'll probably have another mile long list by the time you get it. lol.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its me DUB said:
Just point out all the [crud] wrong with it and act like you're doing him a favor towing it away. He'll come down...
So i went up there today and tried that....
Deal feel through so i said 'ef it.

I couldn't even get him to come down to $300, STICKLER!
He wouldn't do a "CASH" transaction, aka wanted to charge me tax.
Wouldn't budge on price and made the argument that he could take the parts that he wanted off it it, sell those and send it to the crusher and get $200 for it.
Well if that were the case, why is it still sitting there, for that long, where it can be hardly seen by anyone?
Apparently it has been siting there for some years.
He said it ran when it was parked, but i don't know for sure, hell i don't even know if the motor would turn over.
Then, he wanted to know how Iwas going to get it out of the junkyard, is he serious?
I told him i had a flatbed that could come and get it but there is no way the truck could make it back to where the car was sitting AND be able to get back out.
He said he had a backhoe that could shovel it out, and i assume pull it out, BUT if i did buy it , i don't want him yanking on it with a backhoe and have something happen to the car AFTER i were to give him my money.

As much as i hated to, i said forget it, let it sit there and rot.
I was pretty bothered by his attitude.
I guess the way i look at it is that someone(me) was willing to give this guy cash in hand, for a car that prob cost him nothing to aquire, he is doing nothing with and would be doing him a favor.
:rolleyes1:

So with that, I guess i could put that money towards tires.

Ohh well, the guy has the rep he has for a reason i suppose.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its me DUB said:
baker423 said:
Ohh well, the guy has the rep he has for a reason i suppose.
You got it. In my experience, most junkyard guys are jerks...especially when they ask what I'm there for and I mention an import.

You made the right move.
Thanks, i still feel bad for leaving a poor rex behind :cry: :lol:
BUT
that is essentially what this guy is a "Sanford and Son" Junkyard guy, that's it, bottom line.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Sorry to hear that, it's always a shame when someone's so intent on getting a "good deal" they chop their nose to spite their face, and watching a decent car fall apart over time is just sad.

There's a late 60s mustang on 64 around lexington, I think, out in someone's yard, rusting away, with a big sign on it that says "not for sale"....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.