Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I was wondering if some one could explain the differences of what "rice" is. Still trying to learn as much as possible. From what I understand from what I have been told I guess I am doing a "rice" project. But to each is own right. I also understand that most of the members here are for JDM. But I just like CRX's in general. So please dont hate. If you need to see what I have in store for my CRX just look up my car domain site in my intro post. It has pics on most of the parts that I have already. So if anyone can help greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time. Later

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Rice is a term thrown around alot lately.

The traditional oldskool meaning of rice is simple.
A Japanese/Import vehicle modified with cheap, poor quality, aftermarket parts that take away from the original design and intent from the vehicle.

This can vary from 17" chrome wheels to poor quality bodykits that make the car look like a space shuttle, to "clear" taillights and glow in the dark emblems.

Take your pick.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
However, the term "JDM" is the new rice.
Some of the stuff you see passed off as "JDM style" have absolutely nothing to do with JDM.

JDM is not a style. It's generally referred to as an accessory source.
Japan had a fair amount of OEM factory options that were unavailable elsewhere. JDM'ed out is simply a car fitted with alot of carefully sourced parts like this.

And as with everything, more than enough people taking this WAY overboard.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the information. so when you look at the parts that I am applying to my crx most likely it will be called rice huh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
your list doesn't seem too ricey, but then it's a short list and i'm not sure where you're going with it.

the mpfi swap is a good start, and i don't think anyone here will knock it. but that implies that you're starting with a 92hp d15, which makes the 5" monster tach a bit questionable. it's just gonna stick out like a sore thumb on an otherwise slow car.

the AEM FPR will be absolutely worthless until you have a real reason to increase the fuel pressure. so that's questionable. and the cam gear is also going to be worthless. adjustable cam gears are almost always questionable on single cams unless they're used to align the timing belt in specific head swap scenarios.

of course, you have plans for the nitrous and turbo, but those are pretty distant and should really come before less necessary things like a monster tach and an adjustable FPR. and both the turbo/nitrous should come after an engine swap, because even a small shot on a d15 is gonna yield a mid 15 second car, and there's nothing lamer than having to spray to hit a mid 15.

so to summarize, your mod list isn't really rice, but it doesn't seem well all that well thought out.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
When I think of rice, I think of modifications designed to give the appearance of performance but with no actual improvement. It can also mean any mods done with no sense of style (ie. a collection of me-too mods). Rice is almost always accompanied with shoddy workmanship.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
also some people would tend to call a car "riced out" if by looking at it with its lame mods, possible ugly body kit and wheels, and poor installation, the car makes you want to spew the rice you had for dinner all over the riced out car.

:D

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Ive built way too many ricemobiles in my younger days. . . . Just plain stupid if you ask me. . .there is still a difference from Rice and show car as well. . . usually the show cars you do not see crusing town all weekend long... clear tail lights huge wheels ( yeah i know i have em trying to dump them) fart can yup have that too. . . big tach in a stock vehicle. . .
painted dash. huge wing. .. . . ..cant stand those APC aluminum running board wings.. . just anything put on a car that ruins it.. now the theme has changed for me. . . . . built motor. . .mostly all stock looking exterior. . . just enough bling to make me be able to find it in a mall marking lot. . .

Come to think of it. . . The term sleeper has always been used to describe a car that had a built or swapped engine that retained the stock look... even going far as debadging a cars emblems if they gave the hint of performance.. . . or underbadging a car (eg; iroc camaro with a berlinetta emblem and nose) ( si with a ls vtec with a hf emblem and stock wheels) volvo station with twin turbo corvette engine.. etc. . .

people would even go " all out " and leave there cars rusty and nasty looking. . . just to add to the " oh crap " factor when beating someone in a race. . if you got beat in a race by a shiney new vette. . . you would be like well its a vette.. . . . My fastest car. . . ( before my monte carlo that i currently have) was an 82 olds cutlass. total luxury... g body platform hand built 383 stroker small block. hand built th 350 3.73 rear end. duals, headers, 12.5:1 comp . p&P heads. . nice stout cam. 5 something lift.. cant remember.. . . .but the best part was. . . this car was old man blue... and i had left the wire spoke hubcaps on it. . .. . . mid 12 second car that looked like poopie.... man it was fun burnin people in that.. . .the look of disgust when the old man blue granny cruiser with pimer all over it blew by them was priceless. . .

back to my first thoughts. . . . the new sleepers are going to be rice mobiles. . . .that look like they are fast and are usually not that are.. . .

riced out crx... riced out soo bad that no way would you ever believe that he had any money left after buying everything in the APC asile... sporting a built k series or something like that.. . . .

something to look out for. . .

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
SETI20 said:
The traditional oldskool meaning of rice is simple.
A Japanese/Import vehicle modified with cheap, poor quality, aftermarket parts that take away from the original design and intent from the vehicle.

This can vary from 17" chrome wheels to poor quality bodykits that make the car look like a space shuttle, to "clear" taillights and glow in the dark emblems.
jfrolang said:
modifications designed to give the appearance of performance but with no actual improvement; any mods done with no sense of style (ie. a collection of me-too mods). Rice is almost always accompanied with shoddy workmanship.
Perfect definintion with good examples. :)b

"Rice" or crappy as i call it, is NOT just exclusive to "Import" cars, it can apply to "Domestic" Vehicles as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The worst rice i have ever seen was a wing made from two 2x4's and a strip of plywood, this = dont do that! :rolleyes1:

Oh, and dont ever use chicken wire as a cheap way around buying good mesh for a grill, fake hood scoops, light up washer fluid nozzels, and those aftermarket windshield wiper blades aka: Rice Ski's.

A moment please for all those cars that have been molested by the visions of people that i will place in a category called, The Rice-A-Roni Homies. Beware!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.