Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
I know its difficult to turn down a seemingly good deal, but i'm woth Robb on this one, but i'll be a bit more subtle about it... lol!

There is a LOT of rust on that car.

What exactly are your goals for the car? Are you a fan of inheriting problems (looking back on your other CRX, and lal the posts you've made about it)?

For $1800, i'd bet you that you can find something in MUCH better shape than that one. The rust it has would keep me from personally aquiring the car, even if i could buy it for $400, let alone $1800... I know how much bodywork would need to take place to fix that, and in the long run, you'd save SOOO much by not having to do a bunch of bodywork.

I know you're excited... i know how excited i get the night before i go pick up a new car... but please think about it a lot more, and take your time to find a nice car... they ARE out there 8) But if you don't wanna wait for some reason, good luck with the project.. it'll teach you a LOT about fixing rust and doing bodywork ;)

[edited for retardedness... haha! I thought he was in Canada for some reason :( ah well.... USD it is! :p ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,545 Posts
ComposiMo said:
For $1800, i'd bet you that you can find something in MUCH better shape than that one. The rust it has would keep me from personally aquiring the car, even if i could buy it for $400, let alone $1800 (i realize you're prolly talking CAD, and not USD, but still)... I know how much bodywork would need to take place to fix that, and in the long run, you'd save SOOO much by not having to do a bunch of bodywork.
that car is for sale for a reason..
its a US car btw, thats $1800 USD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,754 Posts
Welcome back Nick!

Back off guys, the rust isn't THAT bad, and for those of us living in the rust-belt, it's near impossible to find a rust free CRX. I agree $1800 is a bit much maybe, but it's not like it should be scrapped or something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
downest said:
Back off guys, the rust isn't THAT bad, and for those of us living in the rust-belt, it's near impossible to find a rust free CRX. I agree $1800 is a bit much maybe, but it's not like it should be scrapped or something!
Nothing to back off about 8) i'm giving him an honest opinion, thats all. For $1800 USD, you could find something outside of the rust belt, and go get it more than likely.

But let me ask you this.... if you were a prospective car buyer, and you showed the car to a group of enthusiasts who may know more about the cars than you, you'd WANT them to let you know about certain things like the rust, and warn you, rather than say "nah man, that cars perfect, have fun with it" while knowing that it will need more work than meets the eye?

The response i gave is one that i can sleep at night with, knowing that i did the right thing by informing... if i had just said "nice car, good luck", then i certainly wouldn't have been doing the responsible thing. imo.

<shrug>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
shadow, I'd recommend thinking hard about John's (composimo) advice on this one. You really need to inspect the car really well for rust before you pay $1800 of your hrd earned dollars for it. Two and a half years ago I paid less than that for a 91 Si in similar shape but with less rust and nicer seats. I would not pay $1800 unless you know how and like tacking in patch panels and doing lots of sheetmetal work and body filling.
I would recommend going to see the car again, bringing a flashlight and crawling under the car. You want to inspect the areas around the jack points and that whole welded seam that runs the length of the car on each side. Also inspect the exhaust system, and the suspension. I sa this because the body rust would indicate that there may also be substantial chassis rust/rot and that is a deal breaker right there. Not worth the time and pain unless you are independently wealthy.
but if it turns out to only be body panel rust then talk the guy down to a cheaper price and go for it if you really must.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Robb said:
huh ? its a rust bucket sorry to say.
I bet theres lotsa rust hiding under the rocker covers.....
What are you smoking? My car is a 91 and has more rust then this and i paid 2 grand for it. 1800 for this car is a good offer. Almost all crx's have rear quater rust (You can not tell me that know of your cars are starting to show signs of it) but this is very little amount of rust for the year.

Jmart said:
I would recommend going to see the car again, bringing a flashlight and crawling under the car. You want to inspect the areas around the jack points and that whole welded seam that runs the length of the car on each side. Also inspect the exhaust system, and the suspension. I sa this because the body rust would indicate that there may also be substantial chassis rust/rot and that is a deal breaker right there.
I 2nd this and to add, you should do this with any car. If the guy lets you, bring it to a shop and throw the thing on a lift to get a better look under the car. Always be careful when buying a car and take your time. Dont jump in to something your going to regeret later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,417 Posts
$1800 is too much for this car. As stated, you are gonna find more rust once you start tearing it down. Interior appears to be in nice shape, but not 1800 nice.
Look cars over better and learn to counter offer and negotiate.
I would have offered 1k for it.

Hell, i paid $800 for my current one,('91 Si) and it is MUCH cleaner than this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,545 Posts
Dodo said:
What are you smoking? My car is a 91 and has more rust then this and i paid 2 grand for it. 1800 for this car is a good offer. Almost all crx's have rear quater rust (You can not tell me that know of your cars are starting to show signs of it) but this is very little amount of rust for the year.
I can gurantee you my life that my crx nor my 90 civic have 1 spec or corosion on them !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Dodo said:
Robb said:
huh ? its a rust bucket sorry to say.
I bet theres lotsa rust hiding under the rocker covers.....
What are you smoking? My car is a 91 and has more rust then this and i paid 2 grand for it. 1800 for this car is a good offer. Almost all crx's have rear quater rust (You can not tell me that know of your cars are starting to show signs of it) but this is very little amount of rust for the year.
Jmart said:
I would recommend going to see the car again, bringing a flashlight and crawling under the car. You want to inspect the areas around the jack points and that whole welded seam that runs the length of the car on each side. Also inspect the exhaust system, and the suspension. I sa this because the body rust would indicate that there may also be substantial chassis rust/rot and that is a deal breaker right there.
I 2nd this and to add, you should do this with any car. If the guy lets you, bring it to a shop and throw the thing on a lift to get a better look under the car. Always be careful when buying a car and take your time. Dont jump in to something your going to regeret later.
Umm.....no. This should read "Almost all ::insert:: NORTHERN crx's have rust....".

As someone who was born and raised in the rust-belt (Ohioan for 32 years), I can attest to the rust problem that unfortunately afflicts far too many cars up there. Here in NC, you just DON'T see it very often (unless it was brought here from up North).

My first crx was a Blackburn metallic '85 Si. I friggin' LOVED that car! Bought it w/ 29K miles on it back in '95. I drove it for a little over 4 years and put about 75K miles on her, and soon after she too fell "victim" of the cancer. It didn't *LOOK* bad (just a few bubbles and a couple holes near the rear quarters), but the fact is.........John is right (isn't he usually? :lol:). A good rule of thumb is this, guys/gals: Whatever rust you CAN see, chances are VERY good there's a LOT more you can't".

Guys, PLEASE listen to me (and others) on this point...
Leave those rusty northern cars alone. You are better off spending a little more $$$, time, and effort finding a southern/western car that just doesn't have the rust problem. It's an uphill climb that you'll get tired of fighting.
Spend a couple extra benjamins, make a day/weekend trip, and find one where rust isn't so prevalent. In the end, I GUARANTEE you'll be glad you did. :D

bryman<----went from Ohio--NV for a '91 CRX Si and Ohio--AZ for B16 powered '85 CRX Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well guys, i bought it, 1700 was the total, the car is soooooooooooo clean on the interior, everything is there and in mint shape, the entire interior looks like it was just put in at the factory, as for the rust what you see is what it has no more no less, fine toothed comb can't find more, undercarage is spotless, car hasn't seen snow in 5 years,

the guy i got it from is a friend who is a honda lord,(1990 civic hatch zc turbo, welded all his on plumbing and manifolds,) and he didn't even want to let it go, he said that the only reason he was giving it to me is caus he wanted to help out a friend, sorry but i think you are all on crack(for sakes of not finding a better word) about that being too expensive, i mean for alas sake i sold my old one for 1700, so in essence i just de riced my self and made my old car run, and minted it out!!

those are the factory option foglights by the way, can you say rare

mods from what i know about on the car

Act Clutch <500 miles
DNX Stainles Cat Back < 300 miles
Aem Ram intake
jdm arm rest
custom cup holder, i will post pictures later

and the car has near new

brakes all four wheels
rotors all four wheels
sway bars
plugs
wires
cap
timing belt
and tons of other stuff

this car was taken car of and now it will be taken to the next level,

JDM FRONT END, and all the goodies that follow (sorry son your college money is gone :twisted: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,417 Posts
shadowcrx said:
as for the rust what you see is what it has no more no less, fine toothed comb can't find more, undercarage is spotless, car hasn't seen snow in 5 years
So for the 1st 10 yrs of it's life it did see snow and the last 5 yrs is supposed to negate it?






The rust looks pretty deep and has gone through, especially around the gas door area. The rear fender well is rotted obviously, but take a look around the ENTIRE wheel well. Once you remove the rear bumper and the lower plastic side moldings, don't be surprised to find more rot. Water an debris hide in there keeping and holding moisture in , promoting rot.

I paid half as much for mine as you did yours, and mine is still cleaner.
Not saying you should have not purchased it, just not for that much.
Before you go dumping money on a JDM front end, get that corrosion cut out replace the sheet metal. Bondo and fiberglass will NOT do the job.

GL with it anyway.

This is what you may find once you dig a little deeper:




AND this is what will need to be done to repair it correctly


 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top