Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do to get my CRX ready for a autox? I have heard to take off the front sway bar. I have 15" wheels on it right now but I have a set of 14's that I might get some stickier tires for the ones i have now are all seasons. Any thing else suspnsion is eibach pro on factory replacement shocks. I kind of just want to drive the car as is and not by much this is just for fun. I only plan on buying tires is there any thing else i can do to prep the car besides taking off the sway bar and taking out extra weight inside?

Its a 91 CRX Si

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Really, tires are the best thing you can do for autocross. Make sure if you get new tires to scrub them in beforehand on the street. If you are getting a set just for autocross, consider some R compounds or at least some KDWs or Azenis.
Personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble of removing the front sway bar. Also you aren't going to lose much weight taking out your interior, it's really not worth the effort.
What other mods do you have, and do you want to be competitive? When you get there you can play with your tire pressures, read up on chalking your tires.
I personally like to go over all the maintenance items beforehand, check the fluids, pressures, make sure everything is tight, you might want to do an oil change and coolant flush. DO NOT do a lot the night before, because you WILL end up running into trouble, but if you do it a few days in advance I promise it will all go smoothly.
Have you autoXed before? You may also want to get comfortable in the car with a helmet, if you're tall at all you may hit the roof on the Si, and you might have to adjust your normal seating position.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never autox before my friends go all the time and they have finally talked me into it. This would be for fun only as i dont have time to make all of their events any ways. I only have lowering springs and front and back strut bars as mods. The engine has your basic bolt ons and a JRSC at 10 psi.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
downest said:
Hankook makes a tire that's comparable to the Azenis, I believe it's the RS-2. Stef has them on his HF/Si and they are very sticky.
Thanks for the reply seems that the Hankooks are cheaper and since I will only do a couple events a year i think they will do fine for me.

Jeff thanks for the compliment there were alot of older guys at the event who asked me alot of questions about the car. One guy used to autox one and was telling me about an event they had at the Atlanta Motorspeedway years back i bet that would be a cool venue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Based upon the year of your car I would recommend you visit www.redshiftmotorsports.com and spend some time reading through the set up info posted there. These cars have been pretty thoroughly developed over the last several years as the 89-91 Civic Si is pretty much the 'spec' car for the class. It is a proven formula and there really isn't much point in experimentation especially since you're new to autocrossing.

While you may be 'out motored' at larger events you have a good base with which to learn and you'll have fun doing it. Good driving and good handling will overcome horsepower a lot of times.

Get some seat time!

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.