Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to have a press for this? Is there any way to cheat to get those pins out or is the best way to just take them to a shop and have them do it for you? If this is the case, how much should I be looking to spend for that?

thanks

nick

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes they are pressed in and you will probably need a hydraulic press to do it and you most likely should take it to a shop, they usually have the right equipment so it won't mash the side of your piston.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
akirarex said:
Yes they are pressed in and you will probably need a hydraulic press to do it and you most likely should take it to a shop, they usually have the right equipment so it won't mash the side of your piston.
thanks man, that's what i was gonna do but wasn't sure if there was a "super secret" method of doing it yourself.

any idea how much i should be spending for this? i don't want these guys to rape me.

thanks again

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
50% of the time it seems, the piston is destroyed in the process, and so is the rod. The pin is not pressed into the rod, rather the rod is heated, and the pin slides in wihtout force, and then once they equalize, they are 'bonded', and only a press can get them out. But without lubrication or anything, pressing them out usually winds up galling things, and the force required usually can damage the piston since that force is pushing against the side of the piston as well...

As for cost, shouldn't be more than $10-15 per rod/piston, depending on the mood of the machine shop, and whether or not they are already doing something with the press that day. Could be less... i've seen it as low as $5 per piece.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this guy just quoted me no more than $8 a rod so that's not too bad.

it's a racing machine shop so they should know what to do hopefully.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ComposiMo said:
The 'damage estimate' above was irregardless of "racing" machine shop, or just a "rebuilding" machine shop.

$8 per rod is a good price. Cross thy fingaz ;) hehe...
damn, well i'll tell him to "be careful" and use lots of lube

thanks man

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Just ask them to be careful... lube won't help, because of how the fit is... there is no way to get any lube IN there.. lol. Just make sure they understand that you want to salvage one or the other.

Out of curiosity, why are you having this much work done to your motor, and re-using either the rod or piston? maybe now is a good time to upgrade both?

just a thought... lol.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ComposiMo said:
Just ask them to be careful... lube won't help, because of how the fit is... there is no way to get any lube IN there.. lol. Just make sure they understand that you want to salvage one or the other.

Out of curiosity, why are you having this much work done to your motor, and re-using either the rod or piston? maybe now is a good time to upgrade both?

just a thought... lol.
i'm reusing the rods and putting A1 pistons in my mini-me set-up. want to keep it all honda parts.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joshman said:
Dren said:
damn, well i'll tell him to "be careful" and use lots of lube
I don't want to sound like a queer or nothing....but that is hot.
damn man usually i pick up on stuff like that before anybody else i know, but for some reason i didn't this time.

that must be one of the gayest posts yet on here huh?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
ComposiMo said:
50% of the time it seems, the piston is destroyed in the process, and so is the rod. The pin is not pressed into the rod, rather the rod is heated, and the pin slides in wihtout force, and then once they equalize, they are 'bonded', and only a press can get them out. But without lubrication or anything, pressing them out usually winds up galling things...
sounds like a rough night... :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.