Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get my slicks from the RPI formula SAE team for near nothing, so I was up there yesterday seeing what they have. Right now I don't have a set of wheels to mount them on, I've borrowed a set before and didn't think I could afford my own. Anyway, I'm up there BSing with the guy about the wheels, which are made for them by BBS, two piece forged, and the last couple of years they have had a center nut like a real race car, but then I saw the 2002 car and a set of these guys:

Pulled out a caliper... 4x100. I'm going up this afternoon to see if I can fit them on my car, without rubbing the wells or the brakes, I might need spacers.

...and I'm paying only $100 for them!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John... I really hope they fit without rubbing the brake calipers. They have 2 sets, I think I can choose which to take, so it might not be that exact wheel. Also the offset might be a problem, but they told me it was a 4 offset, I think they must have meant 40, and I believe the width is 6". I thought that they were 7" or 7.5", that's the size of the slicks, but I was reading about them on their forums, I will know more later on.

Either way I think they are really nice looking wheels, I almost want to get some street tires on there...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
downest said:
Also the offset might be a problem, but they told me it was a 4 offset, I think they must have meant 40, and I believe the width is 6". I thought that they were 7" or 7.5", that's the size of the slicks, but I was reading about them on their forums, I will know more later on.
Nah, they are probably referring to inches of backspace, not MM offset... VERY different. Find out what the width is, thats important.

IF the wheel is a 6"wide wheel from the inside lip, then you are looking at a offset from the back of the wheel of 4"... that means that if measured like a honda wheel, the wheel would have a +25mm offset... meaning that the center of the wheel is at 3" backspace... add an extra inch for the 4" backspace.

It'll make a killer auto-x wheel though 8)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ComposiMo said:
Nah, they are probably referring to inches of backspace, not MM offset... VERY different. Find out what the width is, thats important.

IF the wheel is a 6"wide wheel from the inside lip, then you are looking at a offset from the back of the wheel of 4"... that means that if measured like a honda wheel, the wheel would have a +25mm offset... meaning that the center of the wheel is at 3" backspace... add an extra inch for the 4" backspace.
Cool, thanks John. Seems like these racing wheels are just different my slicks are the same way, measured width in inches... looking at mine now, they are 20.0x7.0-13.

It'll make a killer auto-x wheel though 8)
That's the idea! What pressures am I going to want to be running on these? Hopefully I will be running them saturday!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sorry about the crappy pic, it's my cell. Looks like I will need spacers. The wheel is very close to the tie rod, and the hub on the wheel is smaller than the CRX's hub, so it kind of sits on it rather than around it. No brake rubbing issues, or wheel well rubbing problems yet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Theres good deals to be had by FSAE teams (we're always poor). I picked up the old wheels off one of our cars (2002) for $150 with tires for the CRX, super light aluminum 2-piece wheels.

Nice find btw. They look good on a crx.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.