Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to Ryan and got it running tonight... but it won't run without holding the dizzy beyond the range of it's mounts, so the top is toward the back of the car. When it's held there, it runs perfectly, revs nicely and everything. I can't seem to even set the timing correctly by adjusting the cam timing. I'm using a y7 dizzy on a y8 head, does that make a difference? It's so close...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had the same problem with my A6 dizzy on the Z6 head but I eventually just got the cam timing done right. Are you using a timing light? That will tell you if your spark is in the right place even if the dizzy isn't quite mounted where you think it should be.

Sorry I left you hanging on AIM, I got up early this morning to rack my beer and started to run late so I had to split.

So what was the problem you had?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the Y7 dizzy on the Y8 head, the legs all match so it should bolt up. I can't even start it up without the dizzy being way off, and if I move it toward the mounting holes it just dies. I tried playing around with the cam timing but it only really seems to run right when the cam timing is set right. I think you might have had to play with it on the Z6 head because for some reason the Z6 is always off half a tooth, but the Y8 head shouldn't be. I have to find my other plug wires, the timing light doesn't work with mine for some reason... and there's a chip in my crank pulley right between all the marks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have my cam right on the zero mark on the adjustable gear and it runs fine. Maybe I need to go back and mess with it some more. The dizzy on mine is all the way advanced so I probably need to turn the cam in the same direction as advancing the dizzy. I'll try a degree or so and see how it runs.

I'm guessing once you get a timing light running you will be able to figure your problems out. Put a white out mark on your pulley if it's scratched up.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm ordering an adjustable gear today, moving the timing belt on that thing is a pain in the ass! I don't know how it sits on the Z6, but it's super tight on the Y8. Like I said too... I'm really nervous about how close it's sitting to the head and the motor mount.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm guessing once you get a timing light running you will be able to figure your problems out. Put a white out mark on your pulley if it's scratched up.

You should be able to get the car running with the cam timing at 0. I am guessing you are either off a tooth and that's why your dizzy is having to be way advanced...or your Y7 dizzy has rotated contacts/firing points compared to the Y8 inside of it.

Yeah...I'm also worried about the timing belt clearance. I haven't read about people having problems on other forums though.

Make sure on your adjustable cam gear, when you get it, that the marks are in the exact same spots as the stock gear. Mine were off half a tooth both sides and screwed me up for the longest time until I checked them.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dren. I've actually read quite a bit about the older Y8 gears being off, I'm getting an AEM one used, so it will probably be one of the older ones.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think you're a whole tooth too far retarded. Slip off belt and rotate cam sprocket one tooth counter-clockwise. Reinstall belt. Even if you go with an adjustable cam gear, you'll of course have to reset valve timing anyway. Don't just slip off belt, install the adjustable cam gear and slip on belt. If you're one tooth off, the adjustable cam gear might get you to 18btdc but that might be at the end of the adjustability range leaving you with none. Do it right and fix the valve timing.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've moved it a tooth each way and still nothing. That's the first thing I tried. I was pretty tired though, it was 3AM and I was way too excited that it started. I have to say though, I'm pretty damn sure it was set right. I used the notch on the block while I had the pulley off, and the lines on the cam gear, and I'm sure they were dead on. Ah well... have to try it again. Unfortunately the timing belt is so tight it's nearly a two man job to rotate the thing.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't send any money yet. Not sure if I'll be able to drive down there at the moment. If I get it running well today I plan to go home to NH tomorrow or sunday, I could detour a little to RI, though I don't know how I feel about 250+ miles on a new motor...

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
ha, i could ship it to you!, but at this point the earliest youd get it would be tuesday, because its at home and im at the free shippin...I mean work, until past last pickup today.

I think its blue so thats worth like 3 more hp

[email protected]

·
Registered
778 Posts
downest said:
I didn't send any money yet. Not sure if I'll be able to drive down there at the moment. If I get it running well today I plan to go home to NH tomorrow or sunday, I could detour a little to RI, though I don't know how I feel about 250+ miles on a new motor...
Get some miles on the motor at all different RPMs before you run at a steady RPM. That's what the engine builder near by who did my piston/rod pin swap for me said.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I know about seating rings and how to break in the engine. Driving home through VT isn't bad because it's a lot of speed changes and varied driving... going down to Matt's place is literally 99% highway, we both live less than a mile from divided highway that's all connected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.