Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I wanted to ask you all a question, hopefully you can answer it..

How can I tell the value of a CRX and what are some things I should look for when buying one?

I wanted to achieve two goals with a CRX. The first one is to learn about cars, the second is to put together a fast kickass car.

I've come across some ads on craigslist, and checked out a couple cars. But I've been out of the car thing now for nearly 6 years and my knowledge of cars is pretty limited. The ones that I've looked at have been pretty nice.. but I think that they may be overpriced. Most of their asking prices is around $4000.00. I don't know how to gauge these sorts of things though, I could be completely wrong.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
three_sixteen said:
Most of their asking prices is around $4000.00. I don't know how to gauge these sorts of things though, I could be completely wrong.
Depends on year, trim level and overall condition of the car.
1st thing to look for is rust near and around the rear wheel well, rear quarter panel. Hondas in general are notorious for this. Check to see for rot and if there is no rot or very little, check to see if it has been "fixed". Most of the time it has been bondo'd and fiberglassed.
Also look the car over inside and out, over and under. Check the interior, a car's interior will tell you alot on how it has been taken car of.
Check the fluid levels. First and formost, take a test drive, then pop the hood and look for leaks or anything that should not be happening after a drive.

Reminds me of a time a few months ago, i went and checked out a '90 Crx Si. The ad said it was near mint, no rust and was asking 5k for it. I went and looked at it, and it was not what was advertised. It looked good from the road, but it had the rear 1/4's reworked. The car was far from near mint and i lowballed the guy, offering him $2500. Needless to say , he said "No", then telling me about the 17" wheels, new stereo, blah blah, things i was NOT Looking for then buying a Crx.

GL on your search!

·
Registered
912 Posts
what are you looking to do with it? if you want a fast car, i would say find one with a swaped engine. Youd probably want a B16A, B18C, or similar. This would save you the hassle and money of having to do the swap later in.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Tiersin said:
what are you looking to do with it? if you want a fast car, i would say find one with a swaped engine. Youd probably want a B16A, B18C, or similar. This would save you the hassle and money of having to do the swap later in.
I would advise against that if you are new to Hondas.
If you do buy one already swapped, do some research before you buy and be sure it has been done correctly! There are lots of hack jobs out there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
just as stated earlier, just check it over with a fine tooth comb, there are many nice crxs out there that can be had for a good price, but you dont want to get into a "lost" project or anything like that, also just starting out, i would look for one with a stock engine, or as stated earlier, read up on the swap that the car has, ive seen many hack jobs, that people did not realize they were getting into, unitl they had bought the car, good luck man, hopefully you find a good one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.