Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i kno you read my other post about wanting more hp. im not a dumass when it comes to cars, i was jus lookin to find somethin to give me more hp that i havent thought of. but im gunna do the swap. from a D16a to a B18a. but this dude is tryin to tell me that the whole swap is gunna cost 1500 without labor charges. now im no engine swap pro but i kno thas a lil high especially when im gettin the swap kit fer 400. well what should i look out for price wise? any pointers on swaps period?

·
Registered
96 Posts
my estimates are 600$for the B18a longblock only, another 2-300$ for a tranny, 1-200$ for ecu/harness. around another 2-300$ for b-series mounts if he gets it from hasport. you'll aslo need b series axels.. but im just quoting prices i see online..

my main "pointer" when swapping engines is know your budget, know what you want to use your car for (a fun daily driver or track car), and research about the engine you wanna swap into your car.

about your hp needs.. if you're running N/A, why not up the compression? mill off a fraction of the head, p/p, aggressive cams, and adjustable cam gears plus some time on the dyno to tune everything correctly.

there's always the option of going ls-vtec!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
depending on which B18 you go with, you could be looking anywhere from 1 grand to 3 for a full swap (axles, ecu, wiring) It sounds like you have the mounts and shift linkage adapter.

Now, engines can be found cheaper, but good luck doing so.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
is the car your buying a teg or a crx???? if its a teg yeah you get most stuff but you still need mounts and you still need to mod the shift linkage...

read te b series swap guide in the how to's section of this site and famailerise your self with what all you are getting into and what it is all going to cost... . i take it that you are having someone do this swap for you. ..??? thats going to cost some coin.... but.... if you are not comfortable doing it yourself I guess that is your only option....

A decent running b18a1 engine from a 90 or 91 teg is going to cost anywhere from a few hundred bucks for a cheap wrecked teg... upo to about a grand for the engien and tranny...

im not going to list the while swap procedure here as it it is in the guide that i just told you about.... but then you will see what you need.. basically

engine
tranny
ecu
axles
shiftlinkage
motormounts
teg radiator works out nice in a crx too
and lots of other misc crap.. . .

good luck and let us know what you decide on

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a CRX and im buyin a cheap teg fer 400 bucks that has a B18a in it. hopefully tom downes can do the swap for me. if not then im most likely not goin to this unless there is someone on the site that lives in the new england/ upper tri-state area or even in canada(quebec or ontario) if i dun find any one i can trust in those areas then im not gunna do it. ill jus end up doin the turbo to the d16.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ah. so the "kit" you were talking about earlier is actually a whole car...

like toxic said, unless you're swapping the b18 into another integra, you'll need a lot more than that.

.. and did you let that mechanic (or whoever is doing your swap) that you have the integra? i dont think he'd charge you 1500 for parts, especially if the parts were coming from you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
B series motors are over rated! I have a ls vtec in my 94 teg. I would totally stay d-series. The list of reasons gos on and on for ever but to list a few would be the d-series are lighter, and the vtec hits harder, they drop right in,no need for new tranny, can produce the same amount of horse power. have lower compression which is great for turbos!!!! A stock d15b sohc vtec motor pushes 130hp which is really awsome dur to the power to weight ratio and u can throw on a turbo and get over 200hp easily and if u decide to due all motor u can get the same!!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
But it would cost you at least 10 grand to get a 200 HP NA car out of a D15B. Ive been talking to my guy, and he's say 2000 to 2500 for a B18 Type R, that would but close to 195 HP right out of the crate. I guess its up to the person who owns the car.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
200(flywheel?)hp NA out of a d series is pretty much (not completely) out of range. This would not be a streetable car at all......

the sohc monsters ive seen struggle to put down 160 wheel or so(maybe 190flywheel?), this is with 13:1 ish compression, worked heads, new manifolds/ITBs, equal length race header, nasty cams, and reving to damn near 9000 rpm.

a stock internal turbo d can do around 200 wheel without much trouble, after that you start breaking rods (first hand experience). built block turbo d's can do 300wheel or higher

even my b18c needed to be moderately worked to get up near the magic 200whp number.

im not sure if we are talking about crank hp or whp though

my turbo d motor needed more work then the b18c, but puts down more power and way more TQ.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
outsiders69 said:
B series motors are over rated! I have a ls vtec in my 94 teg. I would totally stay d-series. The list of reasons gos on and on for ever but to list a few would be the d-series are lighter, and the vtec hits harder
Ummm....NO. I have seen a properly built NA LSVTEC anhihilate a turbo D16 like it wasnt even trying. Whose to say if that turboed d was built right to begin with, but both cars were EG VX hatches, both transmissions were LSD equipped, and each car had full interior.

The d series may be lighter, but even vtec on a D15B, which has the most noticable stock vtec engagement IMO for a single cam, doesnt really compare to vtec engagement on a B18C. If you dont believe me drive a stock GSR and then drive a stock civic ex, and tell me which one has the most noticable vtec engagement :wink:

outsiders69 said:
A stock d15b sohc vtec motor pushes 130hp which is really awsome dur to the power to weight ratio and u can throw on a turbo and get over 200hp easily and if u decide to due all motor u can get the same!!!!
On a d15b??? :rotflmao: I could see it keeping it all motor, throwing a 125 shot on it, and that motor holding together for 6 seconds, but at least itd be a fast 6 seconds :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
dirrty said:
i have a CRX and im buyin a cheap teg fer 400 bucks that has a B18a in it. hopefully tom downes can do the swap for me. if not then im most likely not goin to this unless there is someone on the site that lives in the new england/ upper tri-state area or even in canada(quebec or ontario) if i dun find any one i can trust in those areas then im not gunna do it. ill jus end up doin the turbo to the d16.
The B18A into a CRX is a relatively easy swap if you have the parts on hand. The B18A should plug right into the CRX wire harness. And just get the aftermarket swap mounts needed, and shorten the 'Teg shift linkage by 2.5" or so, remove the dust rings from the hubs, use the 'Teg's axles and intermediate shaft, and plug the B18A ECU in place of the CRX's ECU.

I'm hoping to be putting a B18A1 with LS transmission and individual throttle bodies into my little brother's '88 CRX Si. But if we don't get the B18, we'll keep the D16A6 and put a Z6 head on and either run the ITB's or the turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.