Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm picking up a 1990 CRX tomorrow. It'll need a swap soon - the engine has high miles on it and has lost some compression. Since I'd planned somewhat vaguely on doing this anyway, I've decided to go turbo on the Japanese version of a big block ... the H-series.

Since I'll be going turbo, I won't be looking for V-Tech. I'm clarifying the engine code. H23A1 is the code for the engine I want, correct?

Several more questions. When I swap in this motor, I'll be looking for writeups by others who have already done this swap. Are there any that are recommended?

According to the VIN, the car was a manual, but was swapped to an auto. I'll be getting a manual transmission and swapping it back. With the H-series swap in mind, is there a transmission that you folks would recommend over an upgraded Si transmission?

Can I swap the motor first and the transmission later, or will I have an issue even getting a H-series to hook up to a CRX transmission?

I'm sorry for the numerous questions, but I'm new to Hondas in general, and so I intend to glean as much information from you folks as possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Welcome to the community... sounds like you have a lot of reading to do!

The H22/23 doesn't just bolt in. Krix and 2point2 have both done the swap, and I've researched it extensively. In addition to the motor, you'll need a mount kit, some kind of ECU/management, decide on a tranny, possibly a new hood, custom axles, a welder, shift linkage, traction bar, and some balls to drive the thing around (and that's before turbo).

·
Registered
551 Posts
yeah just like he said, you'll need motor mount kit, axles, shiftlikage, ecu, and you wondered if the si tranny will work, no it wont, but what you could do is do the h2b conversion and run the ys1 or some b series tranny. thats what my friend did to his gsr he put a h22a in it, and did the h2b swap and he used the type r b16 tranny, i think thats the ys1 not sure. and i have hurd that you might need new hubs because the h series axles are alot bigger

·
Registered
779 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
yeah just like he said, you'll need motor mount kit, axles, shiftlikage, ecu, and you wondered if the si tranny will work, no it wont, but what you could do is do the h2b conversion and run the ys1 or some b series tranny. thats what my friend did to his gsr he put a h22a in it, and did the h2b swap and he used the type r b16 tranny, i think thats the ys1 not sure. and i have hurd that you might need new hubs because the h series axles are alot bigger
You don't need new hubs, you need frankenstein shaft (B series driveshaft with H inner hubs I beleive). And H swap is pretty cool in a CRX. You will love the torquyness of the engine and the power/torque ratio. It is a very expensive swap and I'll be the first to say it, once you go H there is no way back. You will need to custom make your shifter and will involve some welding to the chassis unless you stay with a B series tranny, but then your hood will need to be custom. Do your research before ordering anything as you will be very surprised at the ammount of work it takes for this swap. It's a way bigger (not heavier) motor then a B series and you will have some issues stuffing it in the bay. Do your research, honda-tech will have ALOT of info on it.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
There are a few ways you can go about this swap these days.

You can go the Hasport. All new motor mounts, need to weld one in. Make clearance on the firewall as well. Its a huge motor compared to what is stock.
Needs an SiR style hood to clear iirc.

Explicitspeed has a mounts that clear the factory hood. Still need to weld a mount in and do some other clearancing, but clears the firewall good.

Any way you do it will need an aftermarket crossmember. If your car is a DX you need to the MPFI swap as well.

You can do the h2b swap like i did. You will need a B series swap mount kit, axles trans etc.. Thats the only way your going to get a non H series trans to mount the H motor. Then you will need a hood with atleast 3 inches of lift to clear the motor. Custom downpipe aswell.

Its alot of work either way but wont run much more if not the same as a b swap will. I personally wouldnt bother swapping a h23, but they are cheaper than the h22's.

I have pics on my h2b swap in my for sale post in my sig if you want to take a look at that route. Im still looking for someone thats not scared to drop the H2B bomb in their crx

:lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the numerous replies. I have a love of unique and/or foolhardy ideas, and it appears that many folks think that this is that sort of thing. :lol: So I am going to do the swap, but not with this car. There's quite a few peices that I need to accumulate to do it, and I think it would be wiser to wait and swap it all at once.

I'll go on and swap either a D or a variant ZC into this one, and give it a few pounds of boost.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.