Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, heres some pics of something that just came in for the white CRX that we are restoring...

The 100% Carbon Fiber Dash Overlay! :thumbup:

This is of course not a dash -replacement-, merely an overlay... however, i guess with enough ingenuity, you could fashion some brackets to hold it by itself in a race car.

But anyway, on this project, it is overlaying the stock dash in Kevins car. The center console is being redone as well to match the dash overlay, but it is an all-carbon fiber piece already, not an overlay. This slides right on, without hurting the dash underneath :)

Dash piece removed from the stock dash:

Look Ma! No Fiberglass underneath :p

The gauge bezel overlay is being done as well, so everything will match and look great!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet 8)

And since some people will probably ask.... yes, this will be available for sale... please contact me via PM for more information, as i don't want this to turn into a 'for sale' thread... just wanted to show off this awesome piece.. hehe

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if leather is more yer thang, then a duplicate could be done in fiberglass, and taken to an upholstery shop, and leather-fied for ya ;)

rex2: Yea, it'll be interesting to see what the glare is like... it shouldn't be that bad though, since most of the surface isn't aimed at the windshield, nor a light source. If it is problematic, it can be made a dull finish, while still retaining the really cool CF look, and still work great and give the desired effect to the interior :)

baker: Yes... 3 layers of it to. Not a cheap part to make.

·
Registered
711 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Well, if leather is more yer thang, then a duplicate could be done in fiberglass, and taken to an upholstery shop, and leather-fied for ya ;)
How much would something like this work out to be :?:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That looks like some great workmanship.
I don't understand the point of putting on a CF overlay though. Just for looks?
CF was designed to be a super light structural material. Why not just make a true dash out of it, or just leave the stock one?
I guess I'm just not a fan of bling that doesn't have any function.
But like I said that is a very very nice looking piece, and having worked with cf before i commend your workmanship.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Looks nice but it's going to be super annoying. The reflections on the windshield are going to be hard to get used to. I painted a spare dash I had super gloss black and I couldn't take all the reflections it made on the windshield.

·
Registered
711 Posts
FastCRX420 said:
ill give you my first born son and my donkey for the info to do that
Dude thats cool! talk about alternative means of transportation...

Tell me, hows the mileage with the donkey? :lol:

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
FastCRX420 said:
unlimited aslong as i have my carrots and water
:lol: :lol:

man that dash looks cool but its got to cost an arm and a leg, plus the other arm for good measure. ah, well, bling bling on!! :)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I said it on another forum, and i'll say it again here...

At least everyone can agree on nothing... lol! :lol:

jmart: Basically, consider it an expensive dash mat... the owner wanted something to cover his dash with, but didn't want a pos carpet dash covering... so we went with CF. By the way, don't be afraid to remove yourself from that "bling without function" box you are locking yourself into... believe me, there is no truth to any of it. You can THINK you walk it, but you have to admit, that you like things to look good. If nothing else mattered besides speed and light weight, believe me, you wouldn't be in a crx, and whatever you were in would have no body panels... and it'd probably look like ****, with no a/c, so that you can SMELL like ****, and it'd SUCK to drive daily.... bling without function? I'll take it all day long thank you... those that bash will wake up one day and realise that... yea... it is actually nice sometimes to have cool things that look cool, even if they have no direct fuc tion other than looking cool.

SETI/crxter: Yea, just so you know, this is FL, and we get glare off everything -anyway-... thats what polarized sunglasses are for, and pretty much everyone down here wears them if you have a car with a shinyer than dull dash... standard practice in the Sunshine State... lol.

Dren: que?

FastCRX.... thanks, but i'll pass. hehe. Just google carbon fiber layups, and specifically the word "overlay"... you'll find dtons of info on it. I didn't personally do this dash, but i've worked side by side with the guy that did on a couple of other projects, and know exactly how he did a lot of things, but i also signed a NDA regarding procedures and techniques... i.e. i can't talk about it without possible legal issues with him. sowwy. And yes, you may think its stupid, but when you get older, and aquire a skill and tricks through years of hardship and backbreaking labor, i'm sure that you'll think twice before simply giving them away as well. lol.

Ragnaarok: Not as expensive as you think... but more than a "cheap-ass-pos-retarded-single-layer-of-carbon-with-10lbs-of-fiberglass-hood" though.... :lol:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
John,
I can appreciate your relpy. Of course you are right, I do value form as well as function, but I think its a waste of resources to make a dash mat out of carbon fiber. I do like power and light weight, and so I admire Ariel for designing and building the Atom. In fact, I have some designs of my own to build a similar car.
ANyhow, this is a frivolous arguement to get into.
I did want to commend you again though for the work you've done. i'd admire your skill and aspire to be able to be that good with composite materials someday.

cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe we should have just made it out of playdoh instead ... :roll:

And no, there won't be an argument... if there is, kindly take it to PM, i'll be more than happy to "discuss" it there with you if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Dude, playdough would be awesome!!!

but really, i'm not trying to offend you.
we have no argument, just a difference of opinion.
i meant no insult.

i guess this forum isn't so open to people posting their opinions as some others. hmph.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.