Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Administrator
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause this? I thought at first that my clutch wasn't fully disengaging, so I adjusted the cable. I'm sure that's not the problem, I can distinctly feel when the clutch grabs and lets go. There's no problem going into gear with the engine off. Shift forks? Bad synchros? No other gear has this issue.

It's a YS1 if it matters.

· Registered
395 Posts
I kinda have the same problem just recently my 1st gear had been hard to get into until im nearly stopped. If i push nice and hard it WILL go in but with a grinding so i havent tried that again. Im not to sure what could be causing mine or yours but the answer to yours is probably the answer to mine.

· Registered
191 Posts
My tranny (Si) is doing the same thing. I'm thinking either worn synchros or a worn shift fork (it is Aluminum after all).

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Being you just took a front end hit, could it be the torque mounts are ... well torqued funky? Maybe the cable to hydro conversion i sbinding from the motor shifting a bit from the collision? I'd check and double check and triple check all the bolts for the tranny mount and front torque mount.

Other than that, I'd say go with the other guy's suggestions on syncros.

· Registered
58 Posts
i don't really have an answer for your problem but my B16 S1 tranny does the same ****, i can downshift into first no problem usually for the most part, but its when i'm stopped and go to put it in first or reverse that it sometimes won't go in, just as if the clutch is'nt fully disengaged as you say. seems to be worse when the tranny is cold for me. Btw, my tranny has no grinds or other issues either. i really don't think it is the synchros in my tranny because as i said i have no grinds at all. I also had the tranny open to replace some bearings before i put it in (700 miles ago) and all the synchros looked like they were in really good shape. I think the blame is to be put on the linkages/shift forks in the tranny.

· Registered
4,386 Posts
jfrolang said:
The problem is worst when I'm stopped. When the car is rolling at a low speed (forward or reverse) it will go into first easier.
Definately synchro's then. They have less of a hard time when the turning difference is less.

Try feathering the clutch a bit more, lightly engaging it, before shifting in gear. That shoul dmake things a lot easier.

· Registered
529 Posts
i have the same problem... usually just when i first start the car. but i cant get into any gear sometimes. but after a second of wiggling it slides in and i usually dont have any problems again. I tried adjusting the cable but i couldnt tell a difference. :(

· Registered
191 Posts
It'd be hard to shift into all gears if that was the case. A synchro is much more likely seeing that we're all driving around in cars older than some college students.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.