Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got this 89 si and the engine gave up the ghostabout two weeks ago and I have been looking into my options and many of the good ones are out of my price range as I am in college=not much money. I was looking into the cheap possibility of just swaping a 97 D16Y7, but I was wondering what I might need to know before doing it and what I will need (like special parts or tools) Thanks all, for any help. ( I will be doing all the work myself as well)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Well, it sounds like your on a tpically tight college budget, been there, done that. I think a d16 replacement is the right move for you. Go for the z6 or y8 if you can, but if what you can cheaply and easily get is a y7 then I'd say go for it. Similar power out put, but its a stock obd2 motor so some of the connectors may be different. As far as installing, i think it should bolt right in. Will you be using the old tranny or a new one? You'll need to keep your old distributor and engine harness as well methinks. If you are getting the intake mani with it then you can either use the obd2 injectors and eliminate the resistor box, or use your old injectors. Also, I'm not too sure how well a pm6 ecu will run the d16y7 but i suspect it might be okay since the compression and cam specs are likely to be fairly similar... but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
A good point made by our youngest moderator.

What exactly do you mean when you say that your a6 gave up the ghost? if it didn't give up a rod through the block or a badly spun bearing, then its probably rebuildable without half the trouble of a motor swap, indeed. A6 bottom ends are pretty solid, so if the problem is in the head, then you can easily rebuild it, or have another a6 head in good condition for pretty damn cheap.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Youngest moderator huh? I have a birthday coming up son!

Anyway, rebuilding the A6 is cake, it was one of the first things I did with my CRX (literally). The benefit of it is that you know it's all new... there's no telling if another motor you drop in will crap out in a few months. Nothing like being able to beat on a motor knowing it will always get you where you're going.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jmart said:
What exactly do you mean when you say that your a6 gave up the ghost?
I would like to re-use as much as I can...

and I dunno exactly whats wrong with it, there doesn't seem to be any severe damage as there is no water in the oil and all the fuel and ignition is fine and working it just died on the way to school and the engine would turn but not turn over, ran a compression check and there is no comp on 3 of the cyls and ~60psi on cyl #4 but I don't really have a lot of time to invest at the moment to a rebuild as it is my only mode of transportation and need it running by this weekend, found a 97 Y7 with ~80,000 mi from a reputable yard for about $450 and all rebuild kits I've seen cost almost just as much

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The y7 will drop right in. The best way to go about it would be to use the complete d16a6 inatake, harness, and dizzy. All of it will bolt right up.
So will your trans and exhaust. That will be the quickest and easiest way to get your car back on the road, providing the y7 your getting is a good one. No wireing or anything. At least not from what I could see...(I pulled a d16y7 a few days ago)....

Also...Use the flywheel from the a6. I dont think the pressure plate from a 89 clutch will fit. (Anybody correct me if Im wrong)....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Absolut_D, Did you make sure that the motor was turned to top dead center for the appropriate piston each time you did the compression test? No compression on 3 cylinders sounds like a very dead engine or an incorrectly done test. I'm not knocking your skills or anything, just want to double check. how was it running before it just up and died?

Hmmm, well if you need it by this weekend you could swap the motors inone day if you know what you are doing and/or have done it before. it would be faster. Still, i wouldn't, get rid of the a6 just yet. i'd put it on a stand (or in an old tire) and work on it when you have the chance.

Let us know i you decide to go for the swap and need help. i think i sent someone a writeup once on the thigns to do, in order to pull an engine. i'll even give you my number so you can call if you get stuck and nee dhelp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for late response I also work 3rd to as well so days are short, but Thanks for all the help...as for the Compression check, yes it was at TDC and I let turn for about 5-6 times, throttle wide open and nothing,...
on the way the car was running fine it stuttered a little, I let off the gas and about 5-10 secs later it just cut off( just the engine nothing else)
I had to push it out of the road and then get it towed. thank god it's light weight

As for the Rebuild I do want to do rebuild it but just need a "right now solution", as I have found there don't seem to be many in my area, that i've found... so will def ask for help when I can do it ...

And for the rebuild kit I was talking about a full/complete rebuild, the engine has just under 200k and and I'm sure the guy(s) who had it before me took everything it had to give so it despretley needs the love, but where can I get THAT kit?

ok so these are the things that I can use?
Intake
harness
dizzy
Trans
exhaust
flywheel

So would I need to get a new clutch, not too fimiliar with man trans, but def know about pullin engines mostly with eights but will and am follwing the the Haynes and Honda factory service manuals.
And to clarify, there won't be any problems with OBD?
and where do I find a write up... most of what I found is for Z6 and VTEC which I don't think I can handle just yet...but def in the near future

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
start off just pulling the whole motor and tranny out of the car. Put the a6 and y7 side by side.

I don't know much about the y7 intake manifold, but if it i s better than the a6 then you can use it. Stick with the a6 injectors for now, you can switch to the obd1 y7 injectors later if you want, but it i snot necessary.

You can use the complete stock exhaust from the a6, manifold on down. I'd suggest not trying to unbolt the manifold form the downpipe because they tend to be rusted and break bolts.

You will need to use your a6 distributor because its output signal is different for obd0.

I think you'll want to use the a6 engine harness and most everything should bolt up. There may be an extra sensor or two on the y7 that obd0 doesn't use, like the knock sensor. SO long as everything on the a6 harness is plugged into an appropriate sensor, you should be fine.

The tranny is the thing i don't know about. i think you should keep the crx tranny if possible. Can someone here please help him out as far as what clutch bearings and input shaft sizes these are, etc?

Use the mounts from the a6. I'm betting some of these will be worn or broken, so you might want to replace them or get some poly inserts.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
You need to keep the CRX tranny, the y7 is a hydro and you'd need to convert, the ratios on the Si tranny are better anyway. If you keep the y7 manifold you'll also have to extend/move some wires to accomodate the different sensor positions.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The y7 doesnt have a knock sensor, only the y8s.
I also suggest using the a6 intake, I thinks its better. The y7s is like a d15b DX, only MPFI....but it sucks anyway. That and I dont think you can use the IACV on the y7 throttle body. So use the a6 intake manifold.
Using the a6 intake will also save some time, you can just pull it off with everything attached and just unplug the injectors and lines. Get a new gasket...the old one will either be stuck to the a6 head or the intake. They might give you the y7 exhaust manifold....use the d16a6 exhaust as well, the y7 has a CRX HF like setup with the cat infront of the motor. Get anew gasket here as well.

Since you will more than likley end up using the SI trans, you have 2 options when it comes to the clutch. If you use your original 89 clutch, you must use the 89 flywheel. Or you can do a slight upgrade and use a 90-91+ flywheel and clutch. Slightly larger, but will fit the 89si trans.

Should be all set with all the info in this thread.

Something to note as well, the y7 has 190cc injectors. Not 240cc....which is what the a6 has. So you cant use the y7 injectors....at least not with a obd0 pm6.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
There you go Absolut. You basically want to use only the y7 block and head. Everything else from the a6 will bolt onto/plug into that.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dude my a6 was running. The block is great. It has 141,000 on it. The head has been exposed to the elements, but is still good i would think. It just had some valve issues but it ran fine. I had a z6 sitting there and when my tranny went i went ahead and pulled the whole darn thing. Let me know. Ill give you the block. I can get you a head with only 140,000 for $75. Im sorry i havnt talked sooner i just havnt read this thread. Pm me for my cell#.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.