Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my right healight bulb went out....i was wondering if the HID headlights for CRX were reliable...not the real HID's with the kit and everything just the cheap $20 with shipping

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
jkoung said:
Recently my right healight bulb went out....i was wondering if the HID headlights for CRX were reliable...not the real HID's with the kit and everything just the cheap $20 with shipping
If you're going to go the cheap HID route, don't. Take that $ and
Just get some decent replacement bulbs, such as Sylvania SilverStars.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
downest said:
I had silverstars in my old CRX, and they were definitely an improvement over stock. The new one has PIAAs though, many times better.
Yea, or PIAA's work too.
If you gonna shell out the $20 for cheapy HID's ( i never heard of a kit that cheap before), just shell out the money for the replacement bulbs. They will most likely last longer.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
baker423 said:
Just get some decent replacement bulbs, such as Sylvania SilverStars.
SilverStars have an annoyingly short lifespan considering their price. They're ok if you absolutely must have the bluish tint, but if you're just looking for brighter bulbs, get a set of XtraVision bulbs. They're noticably brighter than standard bulbs and don't waste ouput by trying to filter the light into a color it isn't.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
I bought a set of silverstars in 2003, both of them burnt out in 6 months. Everyone else I've known with silverstars also got very little life out of them, and not just CRX's. Eclipse, WRX, Maxima, Civic, Integra, Galant, and Mustang. None lasted longer than 9 months.

I like PIAA's Xtreme White Plus bulbs. They have a super bright, natural looking white light at 4000K.

Whatever you get though, look into a 9005 conversion. It's simple - modify the 9005 high-beam bulb to fit in the low-beam socket.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
jfrolang said:
I bought a set of silverstars in 2003, both of them burnt out in 6 months. Everyone else I've known with silverstars also got very little life out of them, and not just CRX's. Eclipse, WRX, Maxima, Civic, Integra, Galant, and Mustang. None lasted longer than 9 months.

I like PIAA's Xtreme White Plus bulbs. They have a super bright, natural looking white light at 4000K.

Whatever you get though, look into a 9005 conversion. It's simple - modify the 9005 high-beam bulb to fit in the low-beam socket.
Well i have heard the same thing about Silverstars.
When these go, i'll give teh PIAA's a try.

Have any info on the 9005 conversion? How to, write up or a reason why convert? I can honestly say i have not heard of converting, just would like to know and if it is worth it.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
jfrolang said:

Well i have heard the same thing about Silverstars from others.
When these go, i'll give the PIAA's a try.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Well, I haven't done the conversion myself because of my JDM front end. It is supposed to give you much improved lighting from your low-beam headlights. It involves putting 9005 bulbs in your low-beam sockets, in place of the 9006's. Of course you still run a 9005 in your high-beams also.

Basically you just dremel or grind the tabs off of the 9005's plastic base so it fits in the 9006 socket, and you have much better nighttime visibility. It's completely reversible too, since there are no modifications to the vehicle, just the bulb.

Click for a full write-up and more details.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
jfrolang said:
Well, I haven't done the conversion myself because of my JDM front end. It is supposed to give you much improved lighting from your low-beam headlights. It involves putting 9005 bulbs in your low-beam sockets, in place of the 9006's. Of course you still run a 9005 in your high-beams also.

Basically you just dremel or grind the tabs off of the 9005's plastic base so it fits in the 9006 socket, and you have much better nighttime visibility. It's completely reversible too, since there are no modifications to the vehicle, just the bulb.

Click for a full write-up and more details.
Never heard of that, i may give that a try when i need to get some new bulbs and see how it works out. Simple and makes sense too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.