Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking into replacing the head unit in my CRX DX. Its currently got a 90's something Sony in there that sounds like **** and skips all the time but reads discs like nothing else. I've read a good bit on here, and a fair deal over at Crutchfield and a few other sites so I wanted to ask for the opinions of some fellow CRX owners:

Is a 2v output, which is what Alpine seems to be putting on almost all of their head units these days, going to sound worse than a 4v output? I understand that I'd need to get an amp that could accept 2v in, which narrows down amp selection quite a bit, but I've heard mixed results regarding Pioneer decks and very little negative feedback with Alpine.

I currently am running 5 1/2" Alpine's in the front, the OEM's in the rear which will soon be swapped out for some 6 1/2"s, probably more Alpine, but I don't really have a preference on deck. Eclipse seems to get pretty good reviews too, but is a bit on the pricey side.

I've been looking at a Alpine CDA-9857 but 2v output is bothering me.

Also, could a small bass speaker, like say a 10" or even an 8" have a box built with proper acoustics to squeeze in the rear tire area? I know thats extremely general considering I'm not even talking ported or sealed, but my knowledge on subwoofers is pretty lacking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't belive you will notice a difference between 4v and 2v on the rca's. The higher voltage is supposed to help keep the signal from the radio to the amp free of interference. You don't need to match the amp input voltage with the radio's output either, when 4v rca outs were new, some amps inputs could not handle the extra voltage and would be damaged because of that. 2v was the norm back then.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jay88h said:
I don't belive you will notice a difference between 4v and 2v on the rca's. The higher voltage is supposed to help keep the signal from the radio to the amp free of interference. You don't need to match the amp input voltage with the radio's output either, when 4v rca outs were new, some amps inputs could not handle the extra voltage and would be damaged because of that. 2v was the norm back then.
Thanks for the reply, it was a long time coming :D

I wasn't sure one way or another, but had never heard a complaint about Alpine's systems, however I do get a fair bit of interference as it is with my current system from my cell phone. I guess I'll give it a go and hope for the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.