Honda CRX Forum banner

Hello and How much is too much for a stock CRX?

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  ComposiMo 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! New community member here, I used to post on the resource a long time ago, now I'm back to my old ways and want to get a CRX by springtime.

Just wondering how much is too much nowadays to pay for a stock or near stock, well running and looking CRX. I'm really eyeing a second gen. Si model.

With all the uncertainties of the custom/modded CRXs I've seen on the 'net, I'm thinking stock is the way to go. Unfortunately, it seems they go for quite a bit more than a "blue book" price.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :wink:

#3 ·
It's a pretty large range. I saw a really clean stock 91 Si with low miles go for $9000 on eBay a few months ago. I got an offer for $6000 for my 90 Si which is 95% stock, 90k miles, nearly perfect. And I've seen pretty clean ones go for $3000. It just depends on a lot of things. But like you said, clean stock CRX's with no rust and low miles are extremely rare these days and are in high demand, so they go for more than KBB value.

#4 ·
You can throw out the Blue Book when it comes to pricing stock CRXs in good condition. $3000 seems to be a fairly standard starting price for mostly stock models in fair condition. The better the condition, the higher the price. Si's prices are a little higher. The sky's the limit for ultra low mileage (<100K) cars. These cars are easily going for $5,000 or more....

#6 ·
MarkWilliamson said:
BoostX said:
You can buy mine, which is bone stock and in great shape for $2k :wink:
Just $2k? What's the mileage, year and model?

That's like asking how much a bottle of wine costs. It varies widely. I paid $1200 for my stock 90DX with 180K miles on it. I paid $4k for my perfectly stock 89DX with only 48k miles.
It's here:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1287

Basically my wife hates the car and isn't to happy with my driving it 40 miles one way to work daily, until I get my take home car. Everyone knows that "if Momma ain't happy, ain't noone happy!" :lol: John will see the car on friday and can give his opinion, so you won't just hear the saleman in me. :wink:

#7 ·
On the other end of the spectrum there are an endless number of CRXs with failed swaps complete with ghetto rigged wiring, high mileage, rust, altezzas, crappy body kits all for sale (usually for what seems like bargains). If you've got the money, time and patience you resurrect one of these monstrosities. Some people on this site have done it. It's hard work and will probably end up costing as much as buying a mint CRX would have. But the problem with the mint CRX is finding one, cheap riced out CRXs are literally everywhere.

Right now a half a block away from my house there's a 90-91 white DX with Z3 fenders, altezzas, 18" cheap rims in the rear, stock Si wheels in the front, and fart can sitting in a front yard. The rear tires are flat and it hasn't moved since before Xmas. I've seen the kid that drives it (he's a skinny, crooked, upside visor wearing MM wannabe type). Awhile back I was in the yard one day when he passed by in it with girlfriend/baby's momma in the passsenger's seat and two small kids standing in the hatch area. My guess is I could walk down there, offer him $500 cash, and buy that car today.......

#8 ·
crxfisher said:
Keep an eye on this one. If I had to guess, I'd say it will go for $5300. That's my official prediction: EBAY LINK
Yeah I noticed that one, it will probably go for high bucks. I saw a decent looking red one that says it's all stock that was listed about a day before that yellow one. Hmmm.....*watch item*

#11 ·
<< How can you tell? It's probably got 215/35-18 tires if they are in fact 18's, and those are like rubberbands...>>

They do look like rubberbands but I rode by it and could see the sidewalls mushed out. It's a sad sight and if I were looking for a project I would make an offer for it. I've got enough trying to keep my current Rex up......

#13 ·
ComposiMo said:
crxfisher said:
Keep an eye on this one. If I had to guess, I'd say it will go for $5300. That's my official prediction: EBAY LINK
My official prediction, is that the auction will be ended a tad bit early... like maybe sometime tomorrow afternoon or therabouts....
Would you have something to do with that?

#14 ·
How much? Well, I'd say start laying in your "war fund" now so you'll hopefully be ready to pounce if a nice CRX comes your way. Clean, stock CRXs are selling for well beyond KBB prices, simply because the demand is higher than expected for a 15-year-old car.

That said, patience is definitely a virtue. If you've got time, wait for the right car at the right price. I paid $2500 for a really clean '91 DX (Burgundy) four years ago or so. Too much for what it was, I was told, but I've never regretted the decision for a moment. One-owner car, never wrecked, beautiful condition inside and out. A few simple mods took care of the DX-ness of the car (Si seats, Si engine & MPFI swap, hybrid transmission, and so on), and she's still a head-turner.

About a year and a half ago, I picked up a Barbados Yellow '90 Si for $1200. Again, one-owner car, original condition (the interior looks like it just left the factory - not a mark on it!), a little paint fade. That one was cheap because it had a bad headgasket and a graunchy transmission and bad axles. Not an issue for me, since doing the mechanical stuff is easy for me. A few hundred bucks later, she's a beauty. Well, except for the faded paint part...

My point? You can find a sweet deal for $1200 or $2500, or maybe even a sweeter deal for $3000 or so. Really pristine examples with very low miles might fetch $5000-$6000, but if the car is right, I wouldn't feel too bent over if I bought it for that. Chances are, if you buy a clean, stock 2nd-gen CRX for a "fair" price ("fair" meaning what the market will bear these days), you're likely not going to lose money on it if you decide to sell it later on down the road. I think we've seen the bottom end of the CRX's depreciation. From here out, they only go up in value.

And don't listen to Charles. For $2500, he *stole* that Tahitian Green Si. (Just kiddin' ya, Chuck. Because I'm... ya know... a bit jealous). :)

Mike

#17 ·
I got my last CRX out of the woods near my house. Some kid parked it when the clutch died. 2 owners, 120k miles 90 si, all stock. 500 dollars. Needed an alternator, clutch, adn the interior was ruined from the animals living in it. Paint was decently faded, NO RUST!

I couldnt believe scoring that one.

The 91 si i had prior I traded a 1990 Eclipse GS slightly modded, running on 3 cylinders, straight up for. I got 3k for that crx.

The 3 crxs i had before that I bought from junkyards.

And the first I bought I paid 3500 for in 2000, complete with sohc vtec swap, decent mods. Rust killed that one. When I took off the sills, there were none left.

-M@

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.