Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've looked around for it. not a lot, i won't lie. but i can't find anything close. maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. i seem to have lost the removable silencer from my exhaust tip. and i want another one. it's a 3" outlet. any ideas? thanx in advance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Charlie said:
is that the part that holds the bearing in place?
Dude there's nothing worse than throwing a muffler bearing! I threw one once and it took me weeks to get my Rex back to running right. Not to mention how hard it is to replace! If you don't get that silencer tip replace soon your going to throw out you muffler bearing. I hope your not still driving it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is the automotive board equivalent of knock-knock jokes. Never that funny but around forever.

And if you're going to subject the poor guy to it, at least get him a real answer too.

1. Contact the manufacturer or a distributor of your brand of exhaust.
2. Use a generic insert, or another manufacturer, if it looks like it'll fit. Try Summit Link

·
Registered
734 Posts
Those silencers have to rob your car of power...I mean, it's basically plugging up your exhaust, doing the exact opposite of everything most of us spend time and money to do (create a more free-breathing engine, from the front of the intake to the very end of the exhaust)...they might say that they increase mid-range torque, but they've gotta KILL high-end HP. I mean, replacing my Invidia with a stock exhaust system might increase mid-range torque, but it's never gonna improve the overall and high-RPM performance.

My car was loud as hell when I first got it. It had the aforementioned exhaust, a homemade test pipe, and a DC Sports header. I ended up replacing (on the "advice" of a local police officer) the lame test pipe with a Magnaflow/Carsound high flow cat, and it made a pretty big difference in the car operating at a reasonable sound level. I wouldn't mind it being quieter at certain RPMs under acceleration, but I won't use a silencer -- I'd rather go see about getting another resonator welded into the system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all the piping is 2 1/2" it's just the tip that's 3". so, if i understand everythng so far, if i put it back on, i will lose some power, but if i don't it'll be loud and annoying, AND i may through a bearing?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, flow is relative.. if you have a huge exhaust you are defenitely going to lose low end torque. You will gain lots of power up at the top of your power band tho. For Street driving, you're better off with the low end torque, how often does your car see 6000+ rpm when you're just tooling around town.

The silencer will hurt the high end power, but put that power in a more usable place.
I just did this last weekend by replacing my test pipe with a real catalytic converter, (high flow) and it's so much easier to drive around town.

And BTW, there is no such thing as a muffler bearing, it's like a kanuter valve or a johnson rod ;-)
and let's not forget--- blinker fluid.

-H

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i have the headers(4-2-1), i have the magna hi-flow cat, and 2 1/2" piping. so then if i do put on the silencer, i should be ok on the power? i don't go too fast most of the time (except like the other night that a stupid little ricer sentra followed me for about 3 miles and i had to get rid of him). soooo?

·
Registered
734 Posts
1990crx said:
well, i have the headers(4-2-1), i have the magna hi-flow cat, and 2 1/2" piping. so then if i do put on the silencer, i should be ok on the power? i don't go too fast most of the time (except like the other night that a stupid little ricer sentra followed me for about 3 miles and i had to get rid of him). soooo?
The header, high-flow cat, and 2.5" exhaust is pretty much the optimal combo for a street car. I don't think you'll gain any overall performance advantage with the silencer. If you had an exhaust that was too big and a test pipe, the setup might be so wrong for a street CRX, that a silencer would -- just by virtue of capping off a badly thought out exhaust system -- actually improve throttle response, etc. BUT, since you've already got the right exhaust system in place, you'll probably only stand to LOSE performance by putting a silencer on it. If you want a quieter car, just go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a resonator -- even a cheap $20 glasspack, welded in-line before the muffler, will make the car sound a lot better (less buzzy, quieter, much better sound at idle and part throttle, with a nice throaty, solid sound when you really put your foot in it.)

Just my 2 cents...I prefer changing the muffler or adding a resonator (as well as making sure that you have a high-flow cat rather than a test pipe) to quiet the car down as compared to a silencer. Since you don't have a silencer and will have to spend money anyway, I'd say it's a good opportunity to go the resonator route -- you'll end up with a much better sounding exhaust and not lose any power getting there.

Again, just my opinion...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You can possibly replace that cat with a resonator.
This is how my car came and its grown on me, But Im rdy for something else as it developed the pissed off bumble bee sound in hot weather...But after its just rained, at night. Sounds freaking great...

Just throwing out another option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.