Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of putting together a 91 si i have a d16z6 soon to be turbo with the oem 5 spd tranny i wanna do it right but short on cash got any cheap web sites or companies for performance parts for everything from flywheels, clutches, batteries, brakes, tires, paint, turbo kits (got the turbo just need a complete kit and would really like to have a boost controllor before even running the turbo which is and oem eclipse turbo) dont need to build internals already done. so any help on saving money is greatly thanked.

·
Registered
253 Posts
usually cheap and performance don't go good together. best bet go junkyard scavenging, hf or std manifold with and adapter. if you can find a starion, srt4, evo intercooler they should do the trick. i much rather buy a stock intercooler then some of the crap that comes off of ebay. what are going to do for engine management. head over to homemadeturbo.com they got some pretty wild cheap setups going on and there are a lot of sponsors on their site that's all about good cheap diy boost.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Never have so many posts... had so few periods...

zelfear said:
I am in the middle of putting together a 91 si i have a d16z6 soon to be turbo with the oem 5 spd tranny i wanna do it right but short on cash got any cheap web sites or companies for performance parts for everything from flywheels, clutches, batteries, brakes, tires, paint, turbo kits (got the turbo just need a complete kit and would really like to have a boost controllor before even running the turbo which is and oem eclipse turbo) dont need to build internals already done. so any help on saving money is greatly thanked.
You need to make a plan for the build, including what you want exactly, and what you can afford. Don't go buy cheap parts, you may save money now but you will definitely spend more later. Now, using quality junk yard or used (or at least brand name) parts off ebay is fine, just stay away from crap like SSAC. Check out the classifieds here and on other forums to get good used parts, there's a lot out there, and if you look around and wait you can get good deals on the stuff you need. Don't throw that turbo in without everything though, you don't want to find out that you need another oil line when you install it, or worse, blow your engine because you're running on a stock ECU.

You mentioned a lot of stuff, and it's really hard to tell you what's best. It's about your car, 12" rotors may not be what you need, but some people might think they are better. Give us some more details, maybe make a thread for each component so we can help you better. You might also want to browse around and see what everyone is running for their various setups (which all have different purposes) and see what meets your needs best.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really am looking just for a good street car. I am planning on doing a little autocross or really more than just a little if I have the time and money. Thats why the battery and brakes. I dont really have any details on my car because i got and parked it behind my house. I never took a second look. other than the car is bone stock with no motor or tranny. Atleast until I put the motor in. qweaker said somthing about ebay. I heard that you can get the complete set up for cheap, its just you need to get a different turbo. I know Im going to take my time with this project. Mainly because of all the cosmetic work. Really I can save and not worry about price but i dont want to be waiting forever. Im really wanting to have it completely done by the end of the summer

·
Registered
253 Posts
you can get some good deals on ebay from time to time on good used parts. i just wouldn't trust the bling bling ss autochrome, xs power, or any of the other junk on there. yea you can get a cheap piece of crap kit off of ebay for cheap, or you can order a expensive kit like greddy, or you can build a kit your self that is way better then the ebay crap and possible better then the expensive kit for a fraction of the cost. honestly you best bet like i said is to scavenge the junk yards and forums you will typically find better deals then on ebay. like downest said it's really hard to tell someone what is best for their car. we can give you suggests and stuff like that but the final decision comes down to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.