Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start off by saying that this was the stupidest most rushed elementary mistake I've ever made when working on a car

I recently purchased a 1990 Honda crx HF that had been sitting (and hasn't run) for a number of years as my first project car, i was told that it didn't start due to a faulty fuel pump. one thing led to another and after being led down a rabbit hole of bad gas, varnish, and endless rust i decided to replace the fuel tank, fuel pump, and the fuel filter. i then excitedly went to crank on the old thing repetitively to see if i could get fuel to the engine and make it run. it was cranking but the old battery wouldn't hold a charge and it slowly died as the dash lights dimmed. i went to boost the thing and give it one more go but this is when my "peak intellect" kicked in and i accidentally reversed the cables when i connected it to the CRXs battery. i saw the giant sparks and immediately knew how big of a mistake i just made. i went to crank on it again and there was no sign of life. i found out that the main 60A battery fuse blew and considered myself extremely lucky. after that i got a new battery and decided to try again with the new fuse. this is where the weird unexplainable (to my limited experiance) electrical gremlins started to happen. i charged the old battery and decided to crank on it with that until it died and would change to the new battery after. it did the same thing (cranking till it slowly died) and after that i changed to the new battery. i put the keys in the ignition and the lights and buzzer came on strong, but when i went to crank on it everything went black and i heard a click (almost like the starter solenoid???) then there was no sign of life or responsiveness at all again. the really weird part that stumped me is that when i disconnected and reconnected the battery all the lights and buzzer came on strong when i put the key in the ignition again. then once again when i cranked it everything went black and shut off again. i stopped right then and there cause i didn't want to possibly damage the car any more than i already did. i have absolutely no idea why changing to a new battery would make the car do this because it was cranking fine before. i also was monitoring the voltage of the new battery the whole time with a multimeter and it stayed steady at 12.4 volts.

sorry about the giant post but i didn't want to leave out any details just incase they were important. i feel like I'm in the category of hobbyist that knows just enough to be dangerous but i know when I'm beat and this absolutely stumped me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts