Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the board here and I had a couple questions.

First, I have a 1991 CRX HF with a D15 that I have taken out. I am looking to do a swap and I know what I want. I have a guy offering me a JDM B16a block with 95 Interga GSR B18C1 head bolted on. He told me it was a OBD1 engine. It also has toms motorsport headers on it. It does not come with a transmission or ECU. Not sure why the GSR head is on the B16a block. Does it increase the horsepower?

What would this motor be worth if it is in good condition?

What transmission and ECU will I need for this motor?

I have tried to research the OBD1 but I am yet to grasp what exactly it means. How do I know which one will work in my CRX. I know there is a conversion kit but I do not know what for. Basically I am lost when it comes to the onboard dagnostics.

Any information is appericated.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thats a strange combination. I'm not sure exactly what benifits you could get out of that. Its common to put b16 heads on b18 blocks, but I've never herd of it the other way around. I'd say the engine is worth around 2-2.5g depending on its condition. But i'm not exactly sure.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Killwolve said:
Not sure why the GSR head is on the B16a block. Does it increase the horsepower?
It's been a long time since I've looked at compression ratio and flow specs on various heads but no, I don't think there's any big increase in HP. In fact it might even be working backwards to put a GSR head on a B16 block.

What would this motor be worth if it is in good condition?
Tell you the truth, I'd stay away from engines that have been mated and remated with other engines. You can never tell from the outside in if someone snapped a timing belt by over-revving the engine causing internal damage.

What transmission and ECU will I need for this motor?
You can use any cable actuated B-series transmission. If the engine is indeed obd1, then an obd1 GSR ecu would be best.

I have tried to research the OBD1 but I am yet to grasp what exactly it means. How do I know which one will work in my CRX.
If you're talking about which ecu, then it's not a matter of which one will work best for your CRX but rather for the engine that's in your CRX. If you're asking whether obd1 or obd2 is best for your CRX... well actually the answer doesn't change.

Word to the wise: unless you can find someone who is very well seasoned to this stuff, I'd keep away from that mismatched engine. Just sounds like trouble to me. I could be wrong but you might be inheriting someone's nightmare or their "beat the crap out of" left overs.

-Heu

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Just my .02

It almost sounds like your "friend" is selling you his left overs from a swap.
What I mean is he is probably running a GSR block w/a B16 head right?:wink:
I'm kind of siding with others here and telling you to be cautious about buying potentially damaged parts.

If the car were mine I'd have fun with a nice mini-me swap or straight up A6 swap since your car is already MPFI anyway.
GL on your swap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
when you put a GSR head on a B16 block it gives you more compression since it has a smaller combustion chamber. As for converting your car to OBD1 you should use a 91 Si CRX wiring harness... you will also need a jumper harness for your obd 1 ecu and i think for your dizzy also im not to sure about the dizzy jumper harness. you can use any tranny you want its better to use a B16 or B18 tranny

·
Registered
551 Posts
on the dizzy, you can use a 93 gsr dizzy, they didnt make alot of the 93 gsr's in that year but you can just go up to a parts store and get theobdo dizzy every things else you will need is

obd1 or obd0 conversion harness
obdo dizzy (93 gsr)
and that should be it becides the tranny
you can use the obdo ys1 cable tranny if i am not mistaken they are rare to find call osakajdm or jdm****.com they should have what your looking for

but for the dizzy go to a parts store they cost like 200 250 somthing like that or maybe 150 i cant remember i looked up one for a b16 but it will work or it should.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
all Hondas 92+ are OBD-1, including the 92-93 GSR. The best solution for an OBD-0 B16 distributor is usually to buy a 90-91 Integra dist, and swap the guts into the stock b16 distributor (the teg dist won't bolt on). I'm not sure what distributors will fit a GSR head though.

Transmissions don't have OBD-0 levels either, they're just cable or hydraulic. To be accurate though, the tight-geared cable YS1 only came in 92-93 Integras (JDM XSi and USDM GSR) which were OBD-1. There is another version of the YS1 which has LS gears, but I don't know how to tell them apart without doing a "spin test." LSD would be a dead giveaway for the tight gearing though. The interesting thing about 92-93 Integra trannies is although they're cable, they can accept the gearsets from the later hydro trannies.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i thought that integra didnt go obd1 till 94

i was told that the 93 gsr is obdo. by a certified honda mechanic!!!!

because changed body style in 93
and the 93 teg is the old body style, and that was a obd0 style of gsr! right!!

acura goes
86-89 pre obd
90-93 obdo
94- what ever i dont know acura well which is obd1

honda
old school pre obd
88-91 obd0
92-95 obd1
96-2000 i believe is obd2

correct me if i am wrong please!!!

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
ollie said:
It almost sounds like your "friend" is selling you his left overs from a swap.
What I mean is he is probably running a GSR block w/a B16 head right?:wink:
I'm kind of siding with others here and telling you to be cautious about buying potentially damaged parts.
That is what it sounds like to me.
Honestly if it were me, i would stay away from it as it may be more trouble that it would be worth.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
OK. :wink: All Hondas and Acuras went OBD-1 in 92, and that's the truth. If you're still not sure, look up a P61. It's the 92-93 OBD-1 GSR ECU.

SETI20 said:
The GSR is per definition OBD1 or higher.
There are no ECU's available in the non-obd range that will allow for the IAB's.
The 92-93 USDM GSR with the B17 didn't have dual stage intake runners like the 94-01s. They had single stage intakes like the B16.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
because changed body style in 93
and the 93 teg is the old body style, and that was a obd0 style of gsr! right!!

acura goes
86-89 pre obd
90-93 obdo
94- what ever i dont know acura well which is obd1
Body style has nothing to do with it.
I believe it goes like this:
86-91 Integra - OBD0
92-95 Integra - OBD1
94-01 Integra - OBD2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.