Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've got about 50 posts going around here about the $400 CRX Dx I just got. i've talked myself into picking up the motor from the previous owner as well. Here's what I have so far:

Stock 1990 CRX Dx, only mod is a K&N intake.

The swap history is:
DOHC ZC from a wrecked CRX my friend had pulled from the scrap yard. Before he got the motor out, someone had taken the oil pan and crank pulley. (not a problem, read on...)
PG7 ECU out of the same car

I'm trading rex2ner the ZC transmission for:
D series oil pan (zc or Si, either will work)
Si transmission
Si axles
ZC crank pulley

Ok, that's where I'm at so far. The misc parts I've collected or will collect so far are:
Excedy OEM D series clutch kit
5 quarts Oil + Filter
Plugs and Wires
shift linkage rebuild parts as listed in another of my threads. no since dropping a new motor and strans in on sloppy shift linkage.

What I would like input on from you guys that have tackled a swap before is what else I should look into buying before I throw it all in the hatch of the CRX and drive 6 hours to New England to do a "drop -in swap" What all parts should I have on hand, or what snags should I expect?

· Registered
953 Posts
Water pump and timing belt, and lots of beer. 8)

· Registered
9,843 Posts
upper radiator hose
water pump

You have injector and distributor plugs...

Main seals? not needed (probably) but something to consider doing, while its easy

· Registered
731 Posts
If you're not too strapped for cash and this is a car you plan to keep for a long time, I'd always do front and rear main seals, head gasket, timing belt, and cam seals. Do it while it's simple to get at. If money is an issue and when is it ever not, at the very least do the timing belt(oem only) and all seals that are visibly leaking.

You've got a resistor box right?

Also, I personally wont install anything til I've compression tested it.

· Registered
551 Posts
your gong to need the mpfi swap, resistor box and injector plugs.

then any d series shift linkage will work.

if you plan on getting a timing belt i think its the 88-89 b20 prelude si timing belt is the right one unless you go oem which you cant order a oem one in the U.S. unless you know some where.

its the axual Zc right?

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mpfi swap, resistor box and injector plugs
Ouch, forgot about those... I am working time and a half saturday and double time sunday to pay fore the motor and hopefully the rest of my list.

Ok, so far the misc list is looking like:
*water pump I'll go new, just to be safe.
*timing belt, I'll look around a bit and grab the right one for hte job at the parts store later today.
*same for upper radiator hose
*dist plugs - no idea where to look, I'll have to do some looking around andfavor pulling.
*rear main seals, head gasket, timing belt, and cam seals - I'll have to make a list of which seals to buy an dget them while at the parts store too.

· Registered
6,568 Posts
I should have a couple resistor boxes kicking around..maybe some inj plugs too. Ill llet ya know what I can find. I think I also have a brand new upper radiator hose to if it just uses a normal crx si one.

[email protected]

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mattminerDOTcom said:
I should have a couple resistor boxes kicking around..maybe some inj plugs too. Ill llet ya know what I can find. I think I also have a brand new upper radiator hose to if it just uses a normal crx si one.

[email protected]
the hose I think (have to confirm) is either an 84 Accord or 88 Teg one... have to check for sure.

LMK if you got the resistor box and/or inj plugs. save me hunting, and I'll pay ya a fair price for em of course.

· Registered
731 Posts
mithuth said:
*timing belt, I'll look around a bit and grab the right one for hte job at the parts store later today.
If by parts store you mean any advance or autozone or anything but Honda, I have to strongly advise against that. You can let anything be aftermarket but whatever you do don't let it be the timing belt. That is the one item I must have oem. I've seen enough aftermarket belts shred, crack, and peel to know to stay away from them. The 25 bucks you save aint worth the risk you run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.