Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I think to do HID right it will be more than a mere $150. I did a smidgin of research into this myself and it seems that the best way to do it is to retrofit the setup from an existing car that has HID lamps, such as a TL, S2000, etc. You also need a clear lens, so for a crx you might look at retrofiting these into one of the ebay type headlight assemblies.

Anyway, I'd vote for just doing the 9005 mod for now and seeing if its good enough for you. it cost jsut about nothing to dremel off the tabe and the socket ribs on the bulb.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have done both. The 9005 swap is easy and it does make a difference. I did notice that the headlights were a bit too bright and I got a few high beam checks from oncoming traffic, even though they were aimed right.
Now I have 9006 6000K HIDs and the light out put is a bit more, but not as well defined as the 9005. You don't have to have clear lenses if you are just installing HID bulbs. You need clear lenses if you are installing "projectors" inside the stock lamps.
Go with the 9005, but stay away from Sylvania (expensive) blue/white bulbs, they don't last.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
i like the 9005 mod. very easy, replace with used bulbs from the junkyard.

the headlight beam on the right has the conversion. the left is normal. the foglights seem brighter on the right too because i found out later the bulb was about to go out (maybe because i shorted it during installation...)

i just did a topical search, and it looks like the best mod nowadays is the 9011 HIR bulb swap.
http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their goal was to create a bulb that produces as many lumens as an HID capsule, at a fraction of the cost. They got about 75% of the way there. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use.

The technology involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi--reflective materials deposited on the inside surface of the bulb. The coating reflects a portion of the Infra red energy emitted by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated forward portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can you replace a stock 9006 low beam with a 9011 HIR high beam on a CRX with no problems? I guess you would cut the tab as if it were a 9012. It might be a stupid question, but thanks for the clarification. Anybody know if the HIR's are actually SIGNIFICANTLY better?

Looks like the HIR's are available on ebay.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got the answer to my question. Here it is for all of you who may have been wondering...

Hello- Piece of cake to do a hi-lo conversion on the HIRs. Please keep them aimed well; the 9011s really are bright. It's not just marketing hype. Ignore the paint marks on the bulbs if you do this.

This is the single-step procedure for stock replacement trimming:
To do the hi-lo conversion, there are three steps-
1) Trim the top tab to fit in a low housing socket (remove the side opposite to the white section, approximately). If the bulbs are not marked, refer to your current 9006 low bulbs and trim the new ones to match.

2) Cut the double guide rails out of the plug section of the bulb. Dremel, utility knife, soldering tip all work well.
3) Double up the o-ring, putting your old o-rings on the barrel of the 9011 bulb behind the existing ones. This centers the bulb and keeps it watertight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
tyson wrote:
i just did a topical search, and it looks like the best mod nowadays is the 9011 HIR bulb swap.

boy, that link looks familiar.... Idea
Yeah I looked at that site. It's informative, but I'm new to this stuff and wasn't aware that you could interchange a low beam with a high beam bulb, and the site doesn't explicitly encourage that. But now I know, thanks for the help tyson.

·
Registered
407 Posts
andrey320 said:
Thank you for the replies everyone!
I'll stay away from the HID kits and will look into the 9011 HIR swap. Are these bulbs readily available?
Nope...hell I work at Autozone and have never seen or heard of them...good luck finding them at a local parts store...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
9006 is your standard, single filament, low beam bulb. It outputs less light energy and has a unique type of mounting base tabs and plug ribs.

9005 is your standard, single filament, high beam bulb. It outputs slightly more light and also has unique mounting base, tabs and plug ribs.

The bases and plugs for your 9006 (low) and 9005 (high) bulbs are very similar. What many people do is take a 9005 bulb and modify the base tabs and the plug ribs so that it fits into the 9006 socket. It gives you low beams that maintain their beam pattern but are brighter.

useful link

Now H4 is a bulb you would find in crx headlights in the UK and European markets. These places used dual bulb headlamps like ours during the 88-89 (early spec) years, then switched to single bulb lamps for 90-91 (late spec) years. This is true for the 16v type headlights, which have lens shapes identical to our US models, but I'm unsure about the VT type models which share headlight lens shape with the Japanese SiR model.

H4 bulbs are commonly used in motorcycles. I've used them in all of the ones I've had. Here is a link addressing a motorcycle mod, but it shows you good info about the H4 bulb.

another useful link

Anyway, these single bulb headlights use an H4 bulb that has unique mounting base and plug style, which is considerably different than the 9005 and 9006 style. H4 in the US is also called 9003 if I'm not mistaken. These H4 bulbs are dual filament so that you get the low and high beam lighting out of one bulb. The location of the filaments wth respect to the reflector allows the reflector to direct the light from each filament to different parts of the lens, providing the necessary beam patterns.

I don't think you'd want to swap dual filament H4 bulbs into either your 9005 or 9006 sockets. Although, for some odd reason you might try to put H3 or something in, which are at least single filament. This would require adapting wire harness plugs. But a) i don't think you'd gain anything from it, and b) i'm not sure that these bulbs would put the filament in the correct location with respect to the reflector.

Furthermore, a concern on the ever popular JDM front end swap on crx's, or any car for that matter, is that people use Japanese headlight. These headlamps were made for use on right hand drive cars in Japan and the UK and are not for use on left hand drive cars because of the beam pattern. basically you get light where you don't want it: blinding oncoming traffic with low beams, and no light where you do want it: no roadside illumination. Anyway, if you search headlight and bulb threads you'll see that Seti harps on this as well.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I've mis-spoken on any of this.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.