Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a sweet job offer in so cal to start in late august. I'm currently at school in Boston, MA. I'd like to put most of my stuff in my CRX and drive back across country. The only thing is that I have a Kawasaki ZX-6R that I need to bring with me.
I've seen pictures of shorte i think towing one crx with another. Is this safe? What about towing a 400lb motorcycle+trailer?
Although, now that I think about it. WIth the cost of the hitch and the trailer, maybe its comparable to use a shipping company. Hmmmmm.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"with someone..."

hahaha

Or I could get super crazy. I could drive the CRX back loaded with stuff. Then at a later date I could fly back and do a cross country motorcycle trip:
CRX = 36 mi/gal
Trip = 3000 mi
Gas = 3.25 dol/gal
Cost = $271
Flight back to Boston = $150
ZX-6R = 45 mi/gal (guessing)
Trip = 3000 mi
Gas = 3.25 dol/gal
Cost = $217
Total = $638 + 8 days of driving time

Or I could rent a uhaul truck, put the motorcycle inside, and tow the car on a dolly:
10' Uhaul truck = $1226 (and thats the cheaper online rate)
Tow dolly = $243
Total = $1469

Or drive the car with my stuff and ship the bike:
CRX trip = $271
ZX-6R ship = $700
Total = $971

Hmmmmmm......

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a pickup truck in CA. I just really really really wish it was here. Makes me wich that I would have driven it back across country the last time I came back. Damn.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
as a CRX owner and a former zx6r 636 owner.... .I vote for just tearing the bike apart and throwing it in the back of the crx..... they will haul anything.... take all your fairing off.... ( heck you could even ship that if you had to) and just drain the fluids and tear some ctuff off and stuff it into your car..... . . I know it sounds nuts..... but it will fit....... and it will work....... and it will save you alot of money.. . .

Chris

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats not a bad idea, except my clothes, tools, spare parts, and other minimal belongings need to go in the car too then. Or I could ship that stuff in boxes.

Hmmmmm, maybe we're getting somewhere....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would ship the bike and drive the CRX. You could sell the bike and buy one in Cali. just a thought. Cross country on a sport bike? I hope your ass is titanium, your kidneys are cement, and your nuts are steel. that would start to really get uncomfortable on day 3.
You would end up selling your bike in Kansas and buying a ticket to Cali.

·
Registered
731 Posts
jmart said:
I've seen pictures of shorte i think towing one crx with another.
I should've taken pictures of when I had a tow dolley hooked up to my CRX and a 2g teg hooked up to the dolley then drove the little train from Minneapolis MN to Milwaukee WI (300 mi)

Towing a teg with a rex? - definitely not safe

Towing a crotch rocket? - I think it's safe.

From memory I have it stuck in my head that the vehicle being towed should not weigh more than 2/3 of the vehicle doing the towing.

Bike 400 + trailer 600 = 1000ish which is only about half the weight of a CRX

·
Registered
633 Posts
Like Heu said anything a bit lighter than the crx should be fine, when I towed this back from Alabama it was fine at 75-80mph (almost completely empty shell)

Now when I towed a complete crx home from Tuscon it was not fun, it wasn't terrible but I'm in NO hurry to do it again, and wouldn't recomend it to anyone inexperienced to towing.

But like you said you gotta compare $$$. I borrow a dolly from a friend so it cost me nothing, if you have to rent or buy one that's probly kinda high. Not to mention U-haul or whoever isn't going to rent you one if you say it's being towed with a crx.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, i've found some people locally selling small 4x8 trailers for cheap. So I guess I could just tow the bike. Now I need a hitch.

Did someone on here say they made a custom one that bolted on? i do not want it to be a permanent addition to my car. Or where should i go to find out???

Thanks much!

Edit:

Oh, also I can get a small trailer for like 250 that is foldable. Does anyone know if it is preferable to have 12" wheels rather than 8", or if there is an issue of legality?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
rex2nr said:
We towed an S10 with an Hf once, once, and I would never recommend it. But it does work.
I've towed boats for 10+ years so I know about towing. The truth is you can move just about anything with wheels with a CRX. The problem is controlling/stopping it....my local boat dealer moves 30' offshore fishing boats around his lot with a riding lawnmower (cutting deck removed). Things get hairy when the towed load approaches or exceeds the weight of the tow vehicle. At that point the load is doing as much steering as the tow vehicle. Turning, swaying, and stopping all become tremendous headaches. You'll be a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road. So a small trailer with the motorcycle only would be best. If you decide to throw your couch and frig on there too, it becomes a problem. If you don't have much experience towing my advice is to take it slow and easy. Give yourself plenty of room and time to deal with situations.......

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet! Thanks shorte. I started out on that forum but i totally forgot to search there.
Uhaul website says $120, not bad. But man I hate to drill all those holes in my baby! Oh well.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Ti Rider said:
rex2nr said:
We towed an S10 with an Hf once, once, and I would never recommend it. But it does work.
I've towed boats for 10+ years so I know about towing. The truth is you can move just about anything with wheels with a CRX. The problem is controlling/stopping it....my local boat dealer moves 30' offshore fishing boats around his lot with a riding lawnmower (cutting deck removed). Things get hairy when the towed load approaches or exceeds the weight of the tow vehicle. At that point the load is doing as much steering as the tow vehicle. Turning, swaying, and stopping all become tremendous headaches. You'll be a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road. So a small trailer with the motorcycle only would be best. If you decide to throw your couch and frig on there too, it becomes a problem. If you don't have much experience towing my advice is to take it slow and easy. Give yourself plenty of room and time to deal with situations.......
we towed it with a rope, so I was "driving." We were just impressed an HF could actually pull that much weight around :p

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've towed quite a bit in my life. Towed a 13k lb dump trailer with sand and gravel, sod, and tons of other stuff all over Wyoming and colorado with a turbodeisel F250 one summer. That had some very good trailer brakes! I've towed jetskis plenty. Last year I towed a 61 chevy pickup on a car trailer with my dads chevy 1500. I'm sure the weight of that truck plus trailer was close to the truck i was towing with, and I made that all the way down the 99 and the 5 over the ridge route in CA. So I'm not worried about that.
With this trailer at ~250 lbs and the zx6r at about ~450 lbs my total towed weight wouldn't be more than 700 or 800 lbs. I think thats safe enough. i just want to make sure I'll make it through some of the more mountainous parts of the country.

Thanks for all the help guys/gals. It looks like I've got a game plan now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Used a jeep class 3 tow hitch, combined with some 1/4" adapter plates found at the recycling center (far stronger than jeep hitch). Had a sheet metal welder reinforce the unibody frame rails with angle iron, added custom bolt/plate sandwich within the frame rails. Stiff aftermarket coilovers with front and rear strut bars.

highest freeway GVW is easily around 5500 lbs. (towed 3 5k+ gross lb trips to the dump last week and they seemed a bit light compared to heaviest).

A word of advice: the longer the trailer, the less that sway forces will toss around your lightweight rear-end. Load up the back of your car with a few hundred pounds if you feel insecure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.