1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
bobski said:
The Dictionary said:
coupé |koop| (also cou•pé)
noun
1 A car with a fixed roof and two doors.
The CRX fits the definition of both a coupe and hatchback.
I don't know that the keepers of the lexicon have an interest in keeping up on what is the de facto definition of industry-specific terminology.

I wonder if the Csaba Csaeres and Brock Yateses would be more specific in their industry, like I would be in mine, that while a coupe and a hatchback are both cars they diverge from the definition at the same level in that a coupe is closer to a sedan in that it has a trunk and not a hatch and that a hatchback is therefore not a coupe.

Or ... while a CRX could be considered a coupe it is a specific coupe that has a glass-lidded high-hinged trunk that is generally open to the passenger compartment.

Then, what is a fastback? Is that the better term for what is technically a hatchback, but does not have a boxy cargo hatch like a Golf or a Civic Hatchback?

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
A fastback is defined as a car with an unbroken curved line from roof to rear. Probably the most famous fastback (and I think the origin of the term) is the Mustang fastback of the 1960s.

Arguably the CRX is a fastback, although I once had a neighbor with a 68 Mustang fastback, who insisted that the 2nd gen CRX's vertical rear window disqualified it from the term. On his logic, the whole of the rear view must pass through glass at the same angle as the roof line, anything else was cheating. I think he just wanted exclusivity on the block in being able to claim the term. At least 1st gens are fastbacks. :wink:

The original meaning of coupe is of course a 2-door with a trunk, but it also means a 2-door with a fixed roof. There is also some disparity when interior volume is considered, but I shun that definition. I describe my car as a fastback coupe hatch. My registration calls it a coupe. My insurance company calls it a 3-door. My ******* friend says it's a "f*ckin hatchback" as though anything besides a pickup or SUV is treason.

I subscribe to the idea that CRX stands for Civic Renaissance model X. I think the biggest reason for that is the hyphen in CR-X, it shouldn't have the hyphen if it wasn't meant as a variant of the first two letters. Then there's also the CR-V, the first of which was based on the Civic, and 'model V' makes more sense to me than coming up with a word for the V. Though I have heard someone say it meant "Civic Renaissance eVolutionary," that still doesn't explain the hyphen. There have been many debates on various forums concerning model X versus eXperimental.. and I believe the concensus was that Honda endorsed both nomenclatures in different literatures.

On that line of thought, I think the Del Sol should have been called the CR-Y. Because Y comes after X, and cry is what I did when I saw it. :lol: Seriously though, it was changed too much to still be called CR-X, what with a trunk and a targa top.

Back on the original topic, I don't have a problem with Honda not promoting the CRX in its current marketing, it is after all a long-since-dead platform, and it was a spinoff of the main Civic line. It would also likely lend credence to the rumors that the CRX may return, which I don't want unless it actually is going to happen.

·
Registered
74 Posts
jfrolang said:
A fastback is defined as a car with an unbroken curved line from roof to rear. Probably the most famous fastback (and I think the origin of the term) is the Mustang fastback of the 1960s...
Agreed, and well written, jfrolang.

In my head and to other car-types I'd refer to my CRX as a "fastback" but to all others would just refer to it as a hatch since, not familiar with the term, they'd just assume I was somehow playing up the description and fooling myself that the car was particularly FAST.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts