Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Any big name tool company out there sells scan tools,but they are not cheap.
I have a Matco scan tool,but lack the asian software.
Ever try to go around back your local honda dealer and slip the drive tech a couple of jacksons to help ya out?
Most tech's are willing to help if you ask nice enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you can buy generic scan tools for like 100 bucks, that will work for your Honda. there not as nice as brand name scan tools, but they do the job, they can read codes and give you feed back on cetian things like fuel trims, temp., tp, rpm, and other stuff like that.
You don't really need a nice brand name scan tool unless your a tech.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah but you need a pretty expensive one to be able to read honda specific fault codes.... and to read the logged data for the error.

It's my sisters car and it is misfiring on 2 cylinders apparently and it has a honda specific fault that none of the cheap tools can interpret. I will just tell her to go to honda, they are a pretty nice place around here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think you need a very expensive one to read honda specific codes.
Because when OBDII (On Board Diagnostics) was introduced in 1996, that made all manufactures standerize there codes. Because if they didn't, techs. would be screwed having to buy expensive scanner for diff. make of cars.
So you should be able to read codes for your honda with a generic scan tool, at least thats what my teacher said. If you just wanna read codes and don't want to spend a lot of money, buy a generic OBDII scanner.
If i'm wrong, someone please correct me.
If you need more info on codes, I have some paperwork form school that helps inferperate them, I just have to dig it up.
If this helps, Cool.
If not, then Cool.
There is my 2 cents once again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is true that they are standardized, but to only code 1000 or something and beyond that point the manufacturer can set specific codes as they desire, and also use those places to hold data dumps- this is what I was told.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
hey, you can always go and buy a snap on scanner for like thousands of dollars...heh just kidding. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Well you could always try what I stated.
Trust me I'm a tech.If someone offered up a couple of jacksons around quitting time I'd stay for a few to give them an answer.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
ollie said:
Well you could always try what I stated.
Trust me I'm a tech.If someone offered up a couple of jacksons around quitting time I'd stay for a few to give them an answer.
you're a friendly, crx-owning tech, though. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
This is true sir,BUT we are talking about trying a local honda stealership.
Most techs nowadays are fighting to make every little tenth of an hour.
So I'm sure there could be a tech thats down on his hours and needs a little extra cash that would do it gladly.
Give it a try.The worst thing that could happen is the tech says no.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have a cheep orange scan tool from autozone and it has always worked for me. but posibly if the scanner your using is saying to go see honda then maybe there is a problem with the scanner communicating with the module weather a bad wire or ecu

but if your getting a cylinder misfire it can only be so many things. either it needs a tuneup or your loosing compression.

maybe it would be worth it to just pay for the hour of diagnostic time at the stealership to see what the problem is...

scarponze

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Dealerships plus diagnostic time equals wasted money for me. I had a mazda that just didn't start one day, no starter noise, and barely a few electrical wurrs. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I got it towed to the dealer. It was there for over a week, first they said there was a problem but hadn't located it yet. Then a few days later they said it was done, working fine now. I asked what did they have to do to it? They said it was working fine all the time and all they did was the diagnostic. $65 for the tow and $135 for the diagnostic later I had the same car back with nothing fixed. Every once in a while the car wouldn't start, but after cycling a few times it would always evenually get going. F' dealerships.

By the way, that particular dealership went out of business when they were successfully sued by a customer that went on a test drive and was encouraged to push a mercedes to the limit which ended up in a nasty crash. And, when they first picked up mercedes and ditched mazda, they said they still worked on mazdas, so bring my car on down. I was quoted over the phone over $900 for a timing belt and water pump job. Yeah I hung that phone up quick on them. Damn dealerships!! :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.