Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to see how many of u guys read honda tuning and what other magazines u guys read i love honda tuning i always meet my mailman at out mailbox before i leave to go to school just to see if the new one is out.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
I used to have subscriptions to Sport Compact Car, Car & Driver, and Import Tuner, just last year, but I didn't renew any of them since most everything they offer is available for free online.

These days the only magazine I get is Scientific American.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I occasionally read Honda Tuning, good articles, but I'm not a big fan of how the (ok, they sound older) older writers over there try to write for the "kids." It kinda brings the mag down imo.

The other thing I can't stand, and this goes for most car mags, is how they write "So and So had a unique idea, he wanted to install, so brought his car to Joe Shmoes shop in Long Beach, where it was professionally fit and finished"

what ever happed to diy? I know everyone doesn't have the skills to do everything to a car, or the resources, but no one in the mags installs anything themselves anymore. Maybe I'm just missing something already out, but I would love to read a "grassroots" Honda only mag.

Is Grassroots Motorsports still out? I don't recall seeing that in while.

I also enjoy SCC, but some of the articles are a bit on the technical side, which makes them slower reads... I read either on planes (1-2X a yr) or on the john, lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Super Street RULEZ! Okay, no...not really. I remember their first year. They were halfway decent.
I've actually shifted away from SCC in the last couple years.
Honda Tuning is alright.
I recently picked up copies of Modified and D-Sport. A nice change in pace and a little variety.

I used to love Grassroots Motorsports. Not so much anymore. They've kinda lost their Grassroots, at least for me. Its become an old farts and their strange/expensive projects showcase. About the the only thing that stands up to the original formula is the annual $200x competition.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I read Honda Tuning, Hot Rod and Autoweek on a regular basis. The other mags I subscribe to are The Economist and The New Yorker. I also read the LA Times every day. I donated to the local public radio station so they send me Newsweek but I throw that rag away without even opening it.

Frankly HT is the only "import scene" magazine that is intelligent enough for a mature audience. But then again, I am old.

Scott

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am subscribed to Honda Tuning. Use to be subscribed to Super Street, Import Tuner, and SCC. I cancelled my subsription to SS because it just went downhill after their layout change. Not to mention they're all idiots and make fun of people writing to ask legit questions. The others were just..not Honda-y enough..

HT > *

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm subscribed to Honda Tuning though I'm clearly not in their target age demographic. I love the CRX features and some of their tech stuff is helpful. Honda Tuning is the best of the import tuner magazines. The others are geared more toward ricers and wannbes with their feartures of trailer queens with ugly body kits, ugly multi thousand dollar paint jobs, and engine improvements based on nothing more than a 100 shot of NOS.

I'm also subscribed to Grassroots Motorsports. It's a great magazine. It is geared more to track day cars than DDs. I would also agree that it has strayed slightly from the "grassroots". Coverage of big dollar factory sponsored race teams is alright but few of us are ever going to able to afford or drive a tube chassised race car. Lately they seemed to have realized they have strayed and have a whole slate of true low buck project cars. Including a Honda hatchback. Grassroots are also CRX fans. The Honda hatchback was supposed to be a CRX but they couldn't find a decent one due to time constraints. They also named the CRX to the Top Twenty Sportscars of the last 20 years. They regularly feature articles on CRX so they are great magazine in my opinion.........

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats pritty cool ive never read grassroots before im going to have to pick myself up a copy but im proby just going to go to the bookstore and read it there. i only realy buy the mag when i see something i realy like in it. i was stoke the first issue of honda tuning i got had a mugen callender in it with a sexy crx for march 2006 . nowadays alot of my friends just give me there mags after there done with um a few days ago a buddy of mine gave me like 50 mags (super street, import tuner, modified, sports compact car, turbo, n hci) most of them r like years old but personally i like the older ones of those bc they have more articles on car that u will see on the road older product things kids can afford and things kids put on there cars. i realy like buying books though i have just about every SA design honda performance builders books there real good reference material ive read them all atleast 5 times cover to cover they basically tought me alot about cars but nothing teaches u better than doing it yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
D-sport rules my bathroom magazine rack.
I just cant keep reading these "other" drivel packed mags anymore.
SS is a NO-GO, SCC is so full of ads anymore that its almost nothing else.
Modified is ok I guess.They still havent convinced me yet.
IT isstill on the down slide too.
Go D-sport!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a subscription to Super Street. Yeah, they are a bunch of idiots.. and most of the time they do suck as far as tech goes.. but, I do enjoy the "inside jokes" the quotes on the spine, and I do like the magazine over all, for what it is. I would say that alot of the other magazine do try to emulate super street, which you have to admit.. SS has been the first to bring many of the "hottest things in tunerville" out first.. the whole JDM thing.. SS, Drifting... SS, and now Time Attack. Plus they put on one hell of a road trip every year.

Overall, for a magazine that doesnt take itself too seriously.. its a great monthly read.. I was really very close to cancelling my subscription to it, but they recently got rid of ROEL.. which is probably the best thing that magazine could of ever done in my opinion.. that guy sucked ass!

Now.. if im looking for more then "entertainment" from a magazine.. then I absolutely love HT! and SCC! those two magazine are where its at for us honda guys.. HT of course, and SCC is for the car geek in all of us. I dont have subscription to either of those magazines yet.. dont know why i havent sent a check to get them.. but it is on my to do list..

Other then tuner mags.. I also get Truckin magazine, and Mini-Truckin. I am, afterall, a mini-trucker at heart! Those were the first custom vehicles that really got my attention, and got me so into custom vehicles in the first place. If it wasnt for an errant issue of mini-truckin falling into my hands..

I shudder to think of what I might have become...

I used to get both Maxim and Stuff.. got them both for about 4 years.. for free! I had a pop-up on the screen one time.. it said fill this out for for a free magazine subscription... the next thing I know im getting Stuff and Maxim.. I got them for 4 years!! I miss my free subscriptions to them.. but oh well...

anyone need any back issues?

later

Sneak

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a script to GRM, until the 2003 challange where a guy "claimed" that he got a set of GSR twistys for 45 bucks...please.
They allowed it, I sent an email giving them the real cost of those suckers, and they didnt reply...so I dont have GRM anymore.

I buy Autoweek sometimes, and still get Popular Mechanics, Populer Science and Car and Driver.

I steal Road and Track from my doc when I see him (he gives it to me, as he never subscribed to any of the 50 or so mags he gets, he's pretty cool)

All those tuner mags just dont seem to make much sense, but I am, like, older then dirt.

I read my hometown rag:
http://www.registerguard.com
and the Seattle PI pretty regularly.

I missed out on the lifetime script to Rolling Stone, (99BUCKS!) I read it often mainly for the political section, which is the best IMO:

http://www.rollingstone.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
For all those who haven't checked out Sport Compact Car lately, it has really turned around. I happily renewed my subscription this past month. I typically buy Honda Tuning off the news stands, but lately I haven't been able to find it, so it looks like I'll be subscribing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
purplecrx said:
For all those who haven't checked out Sport Compact Car lately, it has really turned around. I happily renewed my subscription this past month. I typically buy Honda Tuning off the news stands, but lately I haven't been able to find it, so it looks like I'll be subscribing.
Ive noticed that about HT as well, usually I swing by a barnes and noble or borders to grab one but anytime I go there now they dont have it, usually their lucky to have SCC, it mainly seems to be super street or import tuner :?

·
Registered
633 Posts
A while back my cousin bought me a 3 year subscription to Import Tunner for $20.
Instead I got Golf digest for 3 years and could never get it fixed. Occasionaly I'll look through his but I never buy any.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts