Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, what fails when the hood release cable works long enough to pop the hood, then will not re-lock the spring post? Is there a chance that the end of the pull cable just popped-out of its attachment and I can reassemble it (after I remove the #$%^ bumper!), or is my cable FUBAR and needs to be replaced? The release inside the cabin moves freely back and forth with no restriction, and it worked fine before this afternoon.

I was going to use this car for a 1200-mile trip this weekend, but all that's holding the hood down now is the secondary safety latch.

Note that the only reference found with a search was the problem of the cable stretching and not OPENING the hood. Mines open but I can't keep it shut.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
sounds like the latch got gummed up. That happened to my car. I pulled the latch, cleaned it out really well, and greased it up. Its working fine ever since.

Try some WD40. It may help once, if so, remove it and give it a good cleaning, then use something like a lithium grease on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it fixed (for now). Removed the bumper and grabbed the bare cable next to the lock with needlenose pliers and pulled- the latchblade retracted but was clearly "sticky". Thanks, rex2nr, you were right- the latch blade was gummed-up. Cleaned it with some penetrating oil, wiped it off, then squirted-in WD40. Still a little balky, but at least it'll lock. For good measure, I shot some WD40 into the lock on the wife's DX (also a '91). Couldn't hurt.

I bet the 6 inches of rain we had locally in the last 3 days had something to do with it. I'm actually seeing some "fogging" inside one of my headlights, and I've NEVER seen that in the ten years I've owned '91 CRX's (Honda added a vent tube on top of each headlight in late '90 to eliminate the condensation problem). Next time we have some cool weather (like this fall), I'll pull the lock off the crossbar and grease the $%#@ out of it with lithium or something that repels water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.