Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write this because I was talking with a collegue about thing I did as a kid, before the whole 'you need to be 100% safe at all times' thing. I remember when I was 7 or 8, I was riding my bike, not wearing a helmet, on an old trail next to the abandon rail way / station. I went further then I normally did, mind you no one knew where I was, with about 4 or 5 friends. Maybe 1 km into the trail we come upon the diesel refilling station, I of course, had no clue what it was.

To me, it was just a huge white silo with a bunch of small platforms and tubes, to me, it was time to climb that bitch. I went and climbed the 30 foot ladder to the top platform, in shorts and a tshirt, in sandals and no safety equipment. I then climbed the other 100 ft to the top of the silo, not attached to anything. When I got ontop, I went right to the edge, and spit off to count how long it took to get to the bottom. I then convinced my friends to climb too, and we had tons of fun.

Now that I'm 20, I go back and think, jesus christ how reckless that was, and how dangerous the situation was lol. I always did things like this as a kid cause I was born in a rural area, the only thing you can do is go exploring and well, get in trouble.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ahhh yes, I do also look back and wonder "how the hell did I live?" with all those stupid things I did ,such as climbing a lightpole and swinging back and forth on the top extension pole, or having bb gun wars with no safety equipment and still having both eyes to see from. Then doing something simple and getting hurt real bad. like me for instance (fractured my right arm 5 times, and my left arm 5 times all of them radius ulnar fractures my nose, my wrist, etccc)

And the irony is NOW I am scared ****-less of heights, and would never let anyone shoot me with a BB gun, yet alone voluntarily..

I'll admit something I never have except to my buddy who was there..

one of the times I fractured my arm when Is when I was 12, It was on a little girls pink bike with a bananna seat and flower basket .I was trying to do a massive crossup off a dirt jump and crashed when I landed..OK guys back to topic,and never remember this..

makes us all wish when we are older our amygdala: (part of brain which controls innate and learned fear) empties all its information, and let us have no fear again...

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I get scared of doing dangerous (read: stupid) things now because I've never broken anything. I figure I'm really bending the odds currently.

When I was younger I did the typical bike and jumping, swinging, climbing things that could have really hurt, but never got hurt. It seemed there was always some mud, wood, rocks, or something to give way a bit.

A few years ago I came close to injury when a friend and I climbed to the top of a railroad bridge, then I proceeded to walk across the width of it. It was windy up there, but I could see the whole town.

Good times! :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
At age 9 or 10 I stole some of my dad's 22 rimfire shells and tried to 'splode them by sandwiching between bricks then slamming cinder blocks on them.

At age "I wont say" I tried to 'splode my head by sandwiching it between the floor and roof of my car.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lets see, i Play with fire and run into burning buildings, Play with my big hose, and always wish for the "Big One" to happen. Fun everyday.

younger, i was a safe person, lived in a good town, never broke any bones and stay away from gun fire. Im with mark, the stuff i do now adays is far more dangerous then things i did as a kid.

·
Registered
912 Posts
.......I drive a CRX, what dose that tell ya :D .

As A kid, I broke 3 bones. Both arms, and my nose. My arms were both boarding about 5 years ago. My nose was jumping from jungle gym to jungle gym in 2nd grade.

There are a lot of cliffs where I live and me my friend and I would always climb them. Looking back, they were 50 foot cliffs, and we had no gear at all. The fact that i'm alive today is nothing short of a statistical miracle.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Sometimes when I think about it I'm amazed I'm alive and not in constant pain. Here's just the stuff I can remember from my teens and early twenties-

Destroyed left knee, ACL and MCL. First hurt playing TE in HS football then finished it off skateboarding. Corrected with surgery years later.

Dislocated every finger on both hands making a tackle. Had to be the disgusting looking injury I've ever suffered. The team doctor quickly put them back into the joint. Hand swelling gave me Fred Flintstone hands....

Broken finger...alcohol may have been involved...

Suffered a concussion dropping in on ten foot halfpipe. I hit so hard I broke the helmet I was wearing. Still not sure how I screwed up, can't remember that Xmas......

Road rash from being towed behind a friend's mom's station wagon on a skateboard with a ski rope. Again alcohol may have been involved.

As an "adult" -

Nearly gave myself a rock enema riding my MTB on Oak Mtn. Got lost, ended up on a narrow trail by a spillway. Front tire slipped off the trail, I fell straight down about ten feet onto the rocks below. Sharp rock hit my left cheek (not my face) so hard I thought I'd broken my hip.

Got hit and drug down the road by my grandfather in law. Use search to read the details. Two crushed discs and lots of new skin later I'm doing pretty well.

Hernia.

This is just the big stuff. I lived hard, had fun, but now that I'm 40 I'm cautious and take better care of myself........

·
Registered
952 Posts
Now that i think of it, My sig fits well in here.:lol:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I definitely did some dumb, dangerous stuff. Broke my lower leg into 4 separate pieces when I was 5 (still gives me problems), broke my collarbone later, and had plenty of bad cuts and trips to the ER.

The peak of my dangerous activity was in the summers when I was 16-18 years old. I worked for a company that built grain bins and grain elevators for farms (and sometimes we took it easy and built fence). I would always be climbing around on top of slick grain bins (silos) with no safety belt, and used to get cut pretty badly by the sheetmetal all the time...but the most dangerous stuff came when we would set the leg of a new grain elevator. The ones we built were between 70-100 feet high, and they would come in 3 or 4 sections. So, a crane would lift me up, either hanging on to the ladder or on the tiny platform of the section as it was lifted into the air so he could have me guide it onto the section below and bolt them together.

We would also have guy wires on the elevator, so a lot of times I'd be in the top of the top section as it would be lifted up, swaying back and forth from a crane cable, then hauling up steel cable so I could hook it to the elevator. I always did this crap without a safety belt or anything, and didn't think a lot of it at the time.

Then, after my first or second year of college, my old boss called one summer because he needed a few days of help. Somewhere in that period of time, I'd lost my fearlessness...I was hanging onto stuff for dear life that high in the air, and I'd totally lost the confidence that I had before.

So, I guess being young and stupid makes you do a lot of things that you wouldn't do later...but I'm glad I was able to do all that stuff and come out alive.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about it last night and my mom helped me fill in the details.

When I was 6, my brother convinced me it was a good idea to ride my bike done a 30deg hill, no gear. I beleived him, and mind you I didn't know how to ride a bike till I was 5ish. I got maybe half way down the hill before my little arms failed me and I fell over. I got seriously fucked up.

Broken nose, no skin on neither of my elbows (skin graphs ftw), I had more cuts and scraps then you could ever imagine. The main on that sucked is the 12 stiches I got in my eyebrow, the scar is still visible today (a white line going thru my eyebrow).

When I got up, I didn't know where I was and what had happened. I didn't speak english, and I was camping and a old english couple came to help me. I did not know a word of english and they somehow got me to my parents who rushed me to the hospital.

I do remember at the hospital I got a cookie for being a good boy and not crying when I got my stitches.

Haha, when I was a kid, you could do anything. Now you can do anything aslong as you have about 2" of padding on everything.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
what kind of dangerous? haha

i sent a death email to the president....that didnt go over well. came home from school one day and the guys in the black SUVs were there to bring me to the fed building in providence for a little interrogation.

good times :rolleyes1:

when i was 15 i took out my turbo chrysler (still not licensed) and dukes of hazzard'ed it through the soccer fields at school.

man....the list goes on and on haha i guess i was a bad kid.

[email protected]

·
Registered
529 Posts
Its me DUB said:
I'm dangerous now.

BREAK YO'SELF FOO!!
As am I not so much as I was though. I still push my limits, snowboarding, mountain biking, BMXing, and 4wheeling and driving. i am not near as dumb as I was though. I raced motocross for several years, I used to drive with my 120moh speedo buried everywhere. I don't do that at all. I for some reason love flying through the air with equipment not designed to fly. My dad's airplane is not so exciting for me. I actually just got done ridding my mountain bike. Rode about 20miles, and allot of it was jumping stairs, and jumping off of ledges. It was fun. :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.