Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some nice 90/91 seats to replace my torn driver's seat. The replacement seats were in pretty good condition. The rip size was probably smaller than a rice grain. Now the rip is up to bean size!

What are some options for me to preserve my seat?
No cover suggestions, and I already do my best at avoiding rubbing the seat when getting in / out.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Not sitting in it is the only way to do it.
Try an auto uphostery shop. They will usualy reseam it if it is tearing along the seam for about 25 bux or so.... :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
Moved to the proper forum...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
I got in the habit of always moving my seat all the way back before getting out of the car. That way when I get back in I wouldn't slide down the seat along the bolster and avoid tearing a hole in the fabric. Once I sit down I slide the seat back forward. Its now as automatic as putting on the seatbelt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,931 Posts
coz said:
I got in the habit of always moving my seat all the way back before getting out of the car. That way when I get back in I wouldn't slide down the seat along the bolster and avoid tearing a hole in the fabric. Once I sit down I slide the seat back forward. Its now as automatic as putting on the seatbelt.
What if your like me and your so tall the seat always all the way back??? AHHA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
andrey320 said:
I bought some nice 90/91 seats to replace my torn driver's seat. The replacement seats were in pretty good condition. The rip size was probably smaller than a rice grain. Now the rip is up to bean size!
Well, I got another three years out of mine, the split started on the upper out seam. I used dark grey thread, and sewed it shut from behind (gently peel the edges back and put small stitches through the back). If it's the seam, you need to be careful since it will open up more if you put too much stress on it.

If it's a hole worn through the frabric, you could put a patch on the back, but to do that nicely you'd need to pull the cover off. In my case, at that point I decided it was a losing proposition, since the fabric itself was pretty fragile--right now I have cheap pullovers, and plan on getting them redone entirely or getting decent covers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
coz said:
Not that I'm proud of it or anything, but you're not bigger than me. I'm your height and I've got you by about 30 lbs. I keep the seat one notch forward, but my head grazes the headliner. How far forward do you normally ride the seat, and does the prelude seat go farther back than the original.

I looked at the pics, very nice car, and a good set of howtos. I appreciate it since I need the inspiration (in all dimensions).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
The seat will hit the back wall where the storage box is when its moved all the way back.
From there I move the seat forward 6-7 notches. Its been so long since I changed the seats out that I don't remember how the stock ones were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,931 Posts
coz said:
The seat will hit the back wall where the storage box is when its moved all the way back.
From there I move the seat forward 6-7 notches. Its been so long since I changed the seats out that I don't remember how the stock ones were.
LOL you have short legs then I cant drive the car with the seat forward 6-7 notches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
coz said:
33 inch inseam
I'm sorry I have to break into the "bigger is better" dialogue, but as an answer to the question posed, Corbeau sells a flap that is to ward off rub damage to their seats. I am sure you can make, or have someone make something similar for stock seats after you fix the damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Sorry guys, but I went to find it an it looks like they don't sell it anymore and instead have these "Trojan" covers that look like crap.

What is was, was a flap that was like a contoured replica made of cloth the same color and fabric as the seat that went from the level of the headrest down to the last friction point on the outer side of the seat. It looked like it would just lay in place unless you pulled it off.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top