Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Rex2nr sent me a shift rod to replace my broken one. While it is being shipped here I though I should try and remove the old one in preparation for the new one. However I am not sure how to go about getting at it. Is it as simple as removing the boot to get the screws? Or do I need to take apart the whole center console? Some help and some pictures would really help me out :D

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Ok, you will need to remove the shift knob, then center console. The center console has 4 screws, then lifts up and back... I pull the e-brake up to give a couple more inches to manuever around.

Now, go under the car. Unhook the exhaust hangers and swing it to the side. You will then see 2 12mm bolts, remove them. This will allow the shifter to drop down from the car. You will then want to remove the 12mm bolt and nut from the base of the shifter. This is where the bushing I referred to goes. Next, you will unbolt the plate held in with the 2 10mm nuts. These are a sort of funky bolt, and will require vice grips on the top side to fully unscrew. The bolt is sort of like a carriage bolt, having a square end which fits into a slot in the plate. Once you loosen the nuts, the entire bolt will spin, so just grab them with vice grips.

Now your shifter should drop out of the car, and then just needs some motivation to come out of the rubber boot, add some grease to it, and reassemble.

I think I got it all....

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Why are you removing the console? <shrug> I can't count the amount of swaps i've been a part of that never removed the center console to remove the shifter/rods... thats all from the bottom of the car, except for removing the actual knob :p

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Why are you removing the console? <shrug> I can't count the amount of swaps i've been a part of that never removed the center console to remove the shifter/rods... thats all from the bottom of the car, except for removing the actual knob :p
I think he said that because those carrage bolts often spin when you try to take the nuts off. If you just angle the bolt once its loose,and use a fast air wrench it comes right off. Otherwise I bet it can be frustrating without holding them from the top.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Richrowa said:
I think he said that because those carrage bolts often spin when you try to take the nuts off. If you just angle the bolt once its loose,and use a fast air wrench it comes right off. Otherwise I bet it can be frustrating without holding them from the top.
Its easier and less invasive to spin the knob off (which you'd have to do to remove the console anyway), and just drop the two 10mm bolts holding the assembly up to gain more room to the top of the compensation rod than it would be to remove the console, remove the rubber boot, and then be able to see the top of the comp rod... But besides, then that means you need a 2nd set of hands to push down on those bolts from the top.

But regardless, i dunno about you guys, but i can easily reach around the top of the comp rod from underneath, and hold those carriage bolts down just fine if i need to.

And if it is THAT much of a pain, it is still easier yet to just remove the one forward bolt (as well as the other two we removed earlier from the rear), and take the entire compensation rod with shifter to the workbench to do it there, and then bring it back than it is to remove the center console... imho of course :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
But regardless, i dunno about you guys, but i can easily reach around the top of the comp rod from underneath, and hold those carriage bolts down just fine if i need to.
Agree. My fingers arn't as strong as yours I guess :? so the air tool and angling the carriage bolts helps me. The last time I dropped it I took the whole thing off however and as you said, did it on the bench.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK well I did the swap today and it went off without a hook. Well that's not totally true, I put that damn book on wrong like three times and all three times had to deal with those damn vise grip bolts. But in the end I got it done and it seems to work well.

I will just have to wait for the rest of the car to be done so I can try it out. (I can just see myself driving down the road going to shift and then the whole rod dropping out of the car lol!)

Anyways thanks to everyone one who helped explain how to do this, and especially to Scott for providing the shift rod!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.