Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK in the spring or maybe the summer I am planning to do some major work on my rex. My plan is:
-Sand down the whole car so that I can see what lies beneath...
-Fix all rust and bondo.
-Take off the bumpers, and panels and paint them.
-Paint what ever I couldn't take off.
-Replace all of the seals around the doors, windows, and sunroof.
-Put the car back together.

OK that is what I want to do. How much do you think it would cost me if A, I did most of the work myself or B, paid some professionals to do it all for me?

·
Registered
51 Posts
the answers are going to vary wildly depending on the quality and amount of body work needed, but generally if you're trying to spend as little as possible while still getting quality work, i would say...

if you're doing all work yourself, including disassembly, sanding, body work, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, re-assembly, i would say you could probably get away with around $300 in tools and supplies, give or take a bit.

if you do your own disassembly and re-assembly, i would say budget between $3500 to $4000 for the labor alone... more depending on how many seals/trims/moldings you want to replace.

if you drop your keys off and come back with a shiny new car, figure at least $5000.

that's for a good, quality job... prices can get much cheaper if you don't worry so much about disassembly. a quick sand, tape and spray at maaco will run you about $500. so if you're willing to make compromises in the amount of prep work the shop does, your price can range from there to the above quoted number.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.