Honda CRX Forum banner

How To: EDM 16v wing installation

14K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  mugendreamsickle 
#1 ·
As you probably already know there is little information on the installation of 16v flush mount wings anywhere, so here is a how-to on installing one with adhesive instead of using the brackets.

*First, you will need to purchase one of these 16v flush mount wings though before you attempt installing one. ( I was so excited when I got it I had to see what it would look like even with the brackets still on it :lol: )

*You will need safety glasses to perform this task because there will be a ton of sparks that come off of the metal as you are grinding the brackets down.
*Then once you have it you will need to grind the brackets down with either a Dremel or Grinder.
The Dremel using smaller grinding heads is better to take off the plastic part of the bracket shown here.

A grinder makes the job much easier for the threaded metal piece of the bracket but you will want to get a smaller grinder than what is shown in the picture below because it is harder to work in the space provided.

*Depending on the rust that the brackets have built up over the years will determine the amount of cleaning up you will have to do with the brackets themselves. Mine were pretty rusted so I had to clean them up a bit ( which will be done easier with the Dremel IMO )

*I know it is hard to see ( in the picture below ) but these are the brackets after I finished cleaning them up. Even though there was still rust on the brackets it was nearly impossible to get to it with any tool.

*Now that the brackets are cleaned up and grind down as much as you needed, you will need to spray them with some rust fix or rust prevention spray if you would like.

*With the brackets finished and sprayed you will need to get some neoprene washers ( bought mine from home depot ) to allow the wing to sit at stock height. With the neoprene washer you will need to also get some 3M window weld ( which will be what you use to install the wing to the car ). Take the 3M window weld and put some on the side of the neoprene washer and place it on the bracket where the plastic pieces where before you cut them off the bracket. Once they have all dried they will look like the picture below.

*Before you put the 3M window weld on the brackets and washers, you can ( not sure if you need to ) lightly sand the hatch. After I sanded I cleaned the hatch with a little alcohol.

*Now it is time to put the 3M window weld on the brackets and washers to install the wing. You don't exactly need to put anymore window weld on the wing other than where the brackets are. This avoids any excess mess that you will need to clean up.

*Once it is placed on the hatch, you will need to put something heavy on the wing to make sure that it dries on the hatch flat. I was told that you can put painters tape on as an extra measure to keep it in place, but that did not turn out to well for me when I pull the painters tape off ( as you can see in the picture below ). I think that this happened because the trim paint I was using doesn't stick very well to the primer that was on the wing when I received it. It is up to you on what you decide to put on the wing as it is drying but use my experience as a precaution. It is not fun having to peel the paint off and have to repaint the wing on the car after the adhesive has already dried.

*After I was done repainting the wing on the car here is the result. It looks good but it is definitely not as perfect as it looked before the paint was ripped off. This is what the installation will look like after your done.

*It was a very draining process, but I believe it was well worth it. I am just going to say to be prepared to spend a good amount of money on the wing itself, the parts you need to grind the brackets down ( if you don't already have them ), and the paint/sanding materials that you will need to make the wing look good. 8)

*If there is anything I missed then let me know! Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
if painter's tape took off the paint, wind and rain probably would have too. my spoiler came painted, and i probably spent at least an hour fine-sanding it and then a couple hours painting it.
2 coats primer, 3 coats semi-gloss black. i let it dry in direct sunlight between each coat and didn't mount it until a couple days later.
i forgot to mention in DUB's thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24767 that i cleaned the neoprene washers with alcohol too.
i also still had the stock foam washers where the studs used to be.
overall good write up tho :)b

#6 ·
nice looks good a kid here in casper has a wing on his hf i wished i had a pic of it but its like a 2ft tall wing, and a wide body kit 18inch rims and the stock motor. we were all playing around on the mountain here in town and it took him 10mins longer to get up the hills,dont get me wrong ide love to have a stock hf but thats the way ide left it if it was mine. my si looks bone stock exept for the lowering and rims, by the way are you doing a mini me?

#12 ·
same here DUB. i think the 20 year old plastic is just a little deformed...maybe even came out of the mold that way. but i know for sure it's solid at all the mounting mounts :)b
i'm thinking of filling that leading gap with some black caulk of some sort

#22 ·
the trick with drilling holes is getting the position right, and then the possibility of moisture causing rust.
i'd rather use the adhesive, it's easy to place and still removable if necessary. i took mine off for paint.

btw, i have since re-mounted my spoiler and used a small bead of black silicone at the leading edge...no more deformity on the left side! it hugs the hatch, i will take some pics and post later :)b

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.