·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... Since there has been a lot of question about how to swap
the EG (92-95 civic) climate control into the CRX, I did a lot
of reading here, honda-tech, and other sites and actually started
this swap on El Chapulin. So, what I made was a plug-&-play harness,
using the plugs from the broken climate control and the new one.
Tomorrow, I will be installing the EG control into the center console,
so stand fast on that par of the process....

Here is how I Started:

1. Find your unit with the complete harness or at least the green plugs.
2. Identify your cables (I have them in a getto diagram so it will be
easy for you'all)
3. and get ready to have fun.
This is the unit I got and the wires from the rex.

Tools needed:

1. Soldering tool
2. soldering wire
3. cross and flat tip screwdriver
4. pliers (just in case)
5. a blade of some kind will help too.
6. your new unit
7. your broken, not working or whatever the case might be old unit.
8. electrical tape or heat shrink (I recomend heat shrink,eventhough
I didnt use it)
9. a flashlight if its dark
10.gloves if you will be working with heat.
11.Butt plugs if you dont wanna be soldering.

As I mention in the last How-to I wrote, SAFETY FIRST.... watch your
hands if you decide to solder.

Here we go.... First, cut the green plug off the EG harness, making sure
you have enough cable to cut and move. I dentify each cable by color.
There is a cable that doesnt match the EG harness: a green/yellow stripes
and grey dots. That one goes with the green/white stripe cable from your
CRX harness. The rest are exactly the same.
Here is the EG harness stripped.

Next, disasemble the back part of your old unit so you can detatch the ports of that control. Either brake them, cut them or unsolder it. I broke it, since my climate control wasnt working anymore.

This are the plugs you will need to do the new harness

Since you have already identify your cables, its time to start the soldering process. If you decide to use plugs by all means do it.

Here is the getto diagram of the wiring. I will make a better one in a few and update this.

At the end, you should come up with something like this...

Now, I am gonna go test it, and take pics of how I am gonna mount the control into the REX....

·
Registered
261 Posts
After learning about this swap here, I've decided to give it a go myself. My one big issue was the off-gray colour of the climate control.

Soo..... it turns out that the 95-98 Odyssey and the 96-99 Isuzu Oasis use the same unit molded in all black. (How cool is that?)

It gets better, since a local yard has five of them in black. Since they're from a mini van, not a Civic, they should be nice and cheap.

The Mounting is still a bit of a concern, but I'm sure we're all resourceful enough to figure out a non-ghetto way to do it. Any good ways so far?

(Oh and why would I need a Butt Plug to do this job? #11 in this write up seems a bit mis-leading....)

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I got the same climate control out of a 96 civic, its the black one. I used a flexible bumper repair epoxy from bondo to make thick tabs on the sides. Once its cured you can tap it with screws and mount it using the existing holes in the center console piece.

Not so good pic

·
Registered
513 Posts
When I was doing research on replacing my climate control I remember reading that although the Odyssey control looks the same, the back of it is different in that it only uses one cable instead of two.
That's why I ended up buying the black painted EG one. Of course I never used it since I got a new CRX cluster.

·
Registered
261 Posts
mikesnacivic said:
When I was doing research on replacing my climate control I remember reading that although the Odyssey control looks the same, the back of it is different in that it only uses one cable instead of two.
That's why I ended up buying the black painted EG one. Of course I never used it since I got a new CRX cluster.
I received the odyssey one last week, it definitly uses 2 cables. They both attach to one pin on the temp control lever. Since the swap requires relocating the cable attachment points on the arm anyways, it shouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey everyone... im back from JRTC... it was as ARMY as it could have been.... Fun stuff happened there... but back to the subject...

I had the day off today, so I went shoping for some tools and a sheet of aluminum... Here is a pic of what I picked up from LOWE'S....

So what I did was some type of bracket to hold the unit on the original place where the REX unit goes to. There was no modification done to the center console.

Here is what the bracket looks like...

Mounted on the unit...

Here i am test fitting the unit and the bracket to meassure where I was gonna drill the holes for the bolts to hold it.

Mounted on the center console

And with the plastic cover of the center console installed. Basicaly done... in the morning im gonna try to tweek the bracket a little bit to macke it fit better, I ran out of day light But here it is...

Looks like I got a burned ligh bulb

I think it looks good... I am happy with the results..... Every one check it out and post your oppinion... and if it is good I hope the MODERATORS move it to he how to forum....

BTW... I saw the pics of N14, looks like It turned out to be a great meet.... I was going nuts during the weekend that was being held... I was running "fake" convoys and playing soldier... man I missed it...

Adilson.....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.