Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EP3 Seats into a 88 crx How to
(this mod was done ON an 1988 Honda CRX dx ...89-91 seat rails/pans are different. i do not know if 88 seats bolt into a 90..you can find that out with google or on this forum somwhere...doing this how to is at your own risk..if you light your car on fire while welding etc..i am not at fault.be smart, use safety gear, and always have a fire extinguisher and friend with you...stranger danger)
Tools Needed
- 12mm Socket
-14mm Socket
- ratchet
- Chalk/crayon marker
-Angle grinder
-MIG Welder
-Wirebrush
-Gloves/eye protection etc etc.
Parts Needed
- EP3 complete seats
-88 CRX Seat rails

Essentials
ep3 spare bumper

lazy friend who sits in front of the heater.

haggard work bench which you made in less than 10 minutes.

and it needs to be 32 degrees or colder in your garage.

First i started with sourcing a set of complete EP3 seats. the seats i bought, the drivers side seat pan had broken pinch welds. i had to repair those and i did once i got the seat foam off of the pan.

Step 3 the test fit

So now you have a cut seat pan..go bolt in the seat rails in their proper spots.

then place the pan on top of them and find a happy spot. i pulled the seat rails, all the way forward. Then i placed the seat pan on top of it. once i found it wasn't sitting right i figured out why. I cut the 4 little tabs off.

once those tabs are gone the seat pans will sit better. go place the pan and find a happy spot. keep in mind you need the seat adjustment piece to clear the cushion so don't move it to far forward. see my pics to see where you should mount it to be happy.

once you get it snug where you want it, i zip tied them very tightly into place

Step 4 - moment of truth

then i covered my floor with my welding jacket and made 2 tack welds on the back so that i could unbolt the seat rails and weld everything up.

take it out of the car and grind down everything where you are going to weld so that way you can get super clean and good penetrating welding.now that its tacked in take out the seat rail and weld all the seams etc.
make sure they are good and not cold welds..i welded as hot as possible, just enough to not blow through the metal all the time...but enough where it was penetrating.

after your done welding you can grind it down some more and clean the welds up and paint it. i am too impatient so i didn't :)

Step 5 - home stretch
after your done welding and cleaning up place the seat foam back on the pan and reconnect all the plastic bits to where they clip in.

then re bolt the seat to the backrest

once the seat is complete, put that bad larry back in and bolt her down. now i had to give mine a little bit of persuasion to get the holes to line up. not much..just a little tug.

Id like to thank eric(mcquade) for taking video and sitting in front of the heater and being my 2nd opinion when i lost my mind..as usual :)
any questions or if i missed something please let me know

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you want ssend me your 88 brackets and the ep3 seat pans and i will cut weld and fit them in my car and then mail them back to you if you want.

this is only for the 88...89-91 is different

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dotz30 said:
And what about DC2 integra seats in a 91 CRX model?
probably the same thing, but this is a how to on ep3 seats.

if the dc2 integra seats are deseigned similiar etc then im guessing you could do that..but this is in an 88..not a 91..so this really has no relevance to what i did.

make a thread about it in mod garage and see if anyone has done it.

Please everyone keep it to only questions about this how to

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Baker said:
Nice and detailed write up, very good!
Those seats are on my top 5 best Honda seats!
if you go to n16 you'll have to go for a spin in them..they are so nice and comfy..i cant wait to get my car complete so i can be driving it again.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i didnt know where to cut the ep3 seat rails but its kinda self explanitory..

your going to be welding the seat ontop of a bracket..you can cut the ep seat so its cocked back..or cut it so the brack sits straight on the seat rails...some measuring etc.

this is an ep3 write up...i have no clue about em3 seats...

·
Registered
48 Posts
importcustomx said:

your going to be welding the seat ontop of a bracket..you can cut the ep seat so its cocked back..or cut it so the brack sits straight on the seat rails...some measuring etc.

I was told that the seats r very similar. Thanx for the help. btw their was a few words in their that might have been in the wrong spot that slightly confused me.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LuckyLuke said:
importcustomx said:

I was told that the seats r very similar. Thanx for the help. btw their was a few words in their that might have been in the wrong spot that slightly confused me.
show me where..i did this rather quickly.

and yes the 88's are different from the 89-91..i think i stated that in the begining of the how to..if not..ill check it.

i have had 88,89, and 91 crx's..the 88 is totally different from 89-91

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.