Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do this?

It looks better then the jdm armrest when done right, and costs a fraction of what the jdm piece usually goes for. It is also wide enough to hold two drinks in it, and Honda has a cup holder accessory for these armrests as well.

What do you need?

- 88-91 CRX
- Armrest from a 96-2000 Civic (often nicknamed EK chassis)
- One can of Flat Black Interior Paint
- Hand File OR a Dremel (Highly Recommended)
- Two Metric Bolts - 8 x 40mm
- Two Black Screw Caps

How is it done?

First is the shape of the front. I don't have any images of this part, but you must Dremel the shape of the CRX shifter console into the EK armrest.

My only advice is to go slow and take too little rather then too much.

Next is the color. The problem with EK Civics is they almost always come with Grey interior.

That is where the paint comes in:

This is a paint found at PepBoys. It's pretty much a perfect match for the black Honda used OEM.

****NOTE: There are two blacks in this line of paint, MATTE and GLOSSY. The GLOSSY cap is shiny, DO NOT GET this type. Stick to MATTE (dull cap) for a real OEM finish.

And most importantly: DO NOT SOAK OR DRIP THE PAINT, IT WILL RUIN THE FACTORY TEXTURE!

Use 3 or 4 light coats to cover it. :)

After I finished cutting and painting it:

Next you have to measure and drill the two holes for the mounting screws:

You can get these screws at most Home Depots, these are the exact ones with the proper threading for the factory holes in the floorboard of the car.

After you bolt them in you use the screw caps to hide the bolts.

The easiest place to find these black screw caps is in "license plate mounting kits" at your local auto parts store.

If you followed this it should look pretty much like this bolted in:

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
i have the EK armrest and cant imagine a better option. better looking than the overpriced "rare" OEM one.

except it does mostly come in grey. there is a rare Si color or something that is black. and then you have to modify it. both of which is shown above.

however, both of which i didnt bother doing myself. me, i dont care. the color mismatch isnt that horrible (its not like its green or brown) and just break off the tabs and it fits nearly fine. i havent even bothered to screw it in. it fits snugly between the seats.

How to: Flush Mount EK Armrest With Cupholders

but where are the cupholders??? the interior pocket has a lot of room, enough for like 10 CD cases. but i wouldnt put any drink in there.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
nice job. did you screw the armrest down in the back, or just in the center as shown?

I was looking for black integra armrests, but painting a cheaper civic one actually turns out nice.

added to the project list. :)b

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ragnaarok said:
nice job. did you screw the armrest down in the back, or just in the center as shown?
The two front screws hold it VERY tight.

tyson said:
i havent even bothered to screw it in. it fits snugly between the seats.

but where are the cupholders??? the interior pocket has a lot of room, enough for like 10 CD cases. but i wouldn't put any drink in there.
The reason I went through that trouble is I use the upper part to hold drinks, and if you have ever held two large soft drinks in your hands, those things are heavy enough to topple the armrest over.

Honda Access used to make a cupholder thing for it, but i use a Dual Drink Window mount cupholder i bought at a local auto parts store and stuffed it in there.

It even holds ONE of the 3 gallon Extra Large from Taco Bell. So yes, it does have cupholders! The only drawback is you have to open the console top while they are in use.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
nah, i wouldnt stress the cupholder aspect of it. its just a big cubby hole. its difficult to reach inside while driving too. i put my CD's in there and i put the vehicle registration right under the cushion where it has the credit card holder molded into the plastic.

i already have a proper cupholder where the ashtray and cig lighter were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tyson said:
nah, i wouldnt stress the cupholder aspect of it. its just a big cubby hole. its difficult to reach inside while driving too. i put my CD's in there and i put the vehicle registration right under the cushion where it has the credit card holder molded into the plastic.
Mine didnt have that credit card slot for some reason? Maybe mine was from a DX and yours an SI?

Reguardless, it holds 2 medium/large drinks just fine, and that may prove very useful to someone. So it was worth noting. For example, if you use the car to go on a food run, I don't trust those flimsy cardboard things fast food places give you.

And the bolting down is one less thing to rattle, and also one less point for moisture to enter the car. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
baker423 said:
Nice writeup.

The "EK" Armrest works much nicer than the 94-01 Integra armrest.

Any lower side view pics of how well it mates up to the Crx shifter console?
aside from the two unused dummy holes in it, its pretty much flush on the sides. sorry i don't have any more pics.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
here i just took 3 pics of mine. you can see i didnt bother to do much to "integrate" it and it still looks and functions fine to me.

doublethink, click on the cupholder pic to bring you to the right discussion thread about the cupholders. its not appropriate here to talk about it. i just mention it as a better suited option than stuffing a drink up there behind your elbow.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Tyson, in the pic of yours, the rear mounts appear to have screws holding them in place. Did you have to do any custom work to get them to line up? I'd think using the rear screws to hold the back in place, and the front bolt method described above would give a very secure mount.

Also, can I get a pic of these "cupholders" that are supposed to be in the write up, based on the title. I don't see anything resembling a cupholder.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
mithuth, the rear screw you see is holding nothing but some kind of internal reinforcement. the armrest itself is not bolted down to anything.

the last EK armrest i had was stolen. maybe i should learn from that and bolt it down better, but i dont care. if theives are gonna violate my car, theyre not going to be gentle anyway. whats the use.

i dont have to worry about it going anywhere on its own. like i said, it fits rather snug in there between the seats. in fact theres some rubbing. but i dont care either.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Ahh, ok. I'll be fabbing up a small bracket to hold it snug in the rear and using the bolts up front. I don't want to risk taking an armrest ot the head incase of an accident... hehe.

Just a quick question, does the armrest get in the way of ... (how to put it and stay PG...) ... "passenger duties"? (Think Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, the unwritten book of the road)

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
mithuth said:
Ahh, ok. I'll be fabbing up a small bracket to hold it snug in the rear and using the bolts up front. I don't want to risk taking an armrest ot the head incase of an accident... hehe.

Just a quick question, does the armrest get in the way of ... (how to put it and stay PG...) ... "passenger duties"? (Think Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, the unwritten book of the road)
:twisted: :D

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
I did dremel mine down a bit in the front to mate it a little nicer to the shifter console. It is bolted down, with new bolts, to the flooe in the factory bolt holes. I had to drill out the holes due to the old bolts not wanting to come out.

This armrest works best since they are easier to find, are more functional and sturdier than the old original crx armrest.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.