Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tools needed:
Masking Tape
Drill & Drill Bit ( I used 1/4 inch but had to ream the hole a little bit still)
5 nuts to match the thread of the spoiler. Most 10mm nuts from a Honda will work.

First you need to remove the 3rd brake light cover by twisting this little knob

Then there are 4 clips or screws, 2 each side. Mine were gone so I dont remember which. Then there are 2 clips holding in on the back side.

After you pull the plastic piece out put the hatch down. Sit the spoiler on the hatch to get an idea of where the screws will go. Take a few layers of masking tape over those areas.

Now sit the spoiler back on but dont apply pressure yet. Take a minute and center it up. Get the back of the spoiler even back here. (The spoiler is installed in this pic, Im just using it to show where to line up.)

Rock the spoiler forward to check alignment here.

Go back several times. Once you are comfortable with your positioning press down to put a indentation in the tape.

Pull out the drill and make your holes.

Remove the tape and put the spoiler on. Put the 10mm nuts on and your done.

I did this in probably under 10 minutes. This is the second time Ive installed this spoiler like this. Most of your time will be spent on aligning the spoiler since its the most important part of this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You dont know how much that helped, Thanks! Where are the 2 clips after you get out all 4 plastic screws, ive broken so much interior parts by just tugging lol i was kind of afraid to. Thanks again!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
imgoingforit said:
Personally, I'd just buy one with the holes already in it. ;)
I have seen very few hatches for sale that were SIR/VT hatches, but even the cost alone is hard to justify, since you could simply drill holes to mount it for free. My 91 Si has had one now for 5 years, and no rust or water has been an issue. But that's not to say one with the holes already in it wouldn't be nice. I think they use the bronze tint on the SIR/VT rear glass. That might be cool...

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I've taken apart EDM crxes for probably 8 or 9 years now. And I -highly- discourage everybody to drill any sort of hole if it's at all avoidable.

Not to knock on you or anything...but evety EVERY crx I took a spoiler like this off of had rust issues on both the inside and the outside. No exceptions. Not only does it rust the top panel, but the water will seep out of the grille, taking the cancer with it, only to wreak havoc on the inside of the lid.

Again, I highly discourage anyone from drilling holes.
This is an outdated technique, only used in the 80's because bonding materials weren't good enough yet.
Sorry.

I always cut the mounting tabs off, smooth the surface a little, and use window bond like Sikaflex to mount the spoilers.

Mine has been on for years and years. And honda, and well as most other brands use similar techniques to bond things like spoilers, skirts and the likes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dont yell SETI, but I didnt read your post untill after I installed my SiR spoiler. I drilled and screwed and just got in the door with pics...It needs paint along with the car...

Let me know what you guys think...

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
tonyguns said:
imgoingforit said:
I have seen very few hatches for sale that were SIR/VT hatches, but even the cost alone is hard to justify, since you could simply drill holes to mount it for free. My 91 Si has had one now for 5 years, and no rust or water has been an issue. But that's not to say one with the holes already in it wouldn't be nice. I think they use the bronze tint on the SIR/VT rear glass. That might be cool...
Didn't you get yours from Krix with holes already in it? Thats what I was referencing.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I gave the hatch with the spoiler holes to tony. He needed one with a rear wiper and I was putting one with no wiper on.

I havent had any problems with leaking or rust. You could always use some thing to seal it if you were having a problem. I just prefer to have it bolted down myself.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
imgoingforit said:
tonyguns said:
imgoingforit said:
Didn't you get yours from Krix with holes already in it? Thats what I was referencing.
Yeah, for this project, but he drilled the holes in the hatch already. I find it incredibly easy to do, i just needed a hatch that didn't have 20 pounds of bondo in it :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.