Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way responsible for anything that happens as a result of following my install. Injury, part/car damage, whatever, NOT MY FAULT! LOL

Parts You'll Need
Rear Seat Upper & Lower
2 Latches
2 Hinges
2 Hinge Mounts
Complete Seat Belts
Cargo Cover
If you have absolutely no bolts, you'll need 16 10mm bolts, and 14mm for the seat belts.

Tools You'll Need
3/8 Ratchet
10mm & 14mm Socket
Dremel
Drill & Drill Bits
Phillips Screw Driver
Sharpie

Step 1: Stripping Rear Interior
-Taking out the storage compartment is pretty self explanatory, about 4 screws if I recall correctly.
-Next, Remove the Side Storage Compartments, and Rear Speaker Mounts.
Here is a picture of the Rear Interior and where it needs undone at to be removed:

1.A screw holding in the rear/middle rear interior pieces.
2.Clips that need popped out.
3.Storage Light
4.Speaker Mounts
5.Side Storage Boxes
6.There are screws holding it down here as well, after taking out the piece, the screw hole is mounted on the piece, it will need to be taken of to fit the Lower Seat properly. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Step 2: Install the Latches
-Next, remove the old latches from the storage bin as they wont be needed anymore.
-Install the new seat latches with 2 10mm bolts on the mounts shown here, your CRX should have them there already.

Step 3: Install the Hinges
Now it's time for the hinges. They are a little trickey but it's not that hard. This is how I've done it 3 times and the seat fits perfectly everytime:
-Once the latches are installed, put the Upper part of the seat with the hinges & hinge mounts on it, it'll latch on and hang freely.
-This is easier here with 2 people. With the seat hanging, position it on the latches so that it is straight up, and the hinge mounts are touching the inner fender. You might have to remove some of your Sound Mating to make it flush.
-Push it snug, and flat, so the mounts are flush with the fender. The mounts should be firm enough against the fenders that the seat will maintain the upright position without being held there.
-Take your sharpie, and fill in the holes in the mounts where the bolts go, 4 in each mount.
-Now, take seat off, and the Hinges & Hinge Mounts off the seat as 1 piece, and drill the holes for the mount bolts. Keep em small enough for the 10mm bolts.
-Once the holes are drilled, mount the Hinges & Hinge Mounts as 1 piece to the fender.
-Re-attach the seat to the Hinges, and voila, your halfway their. Kinda.
Here's a pic showing where to install, and what it looks like installed.

Step 4: Install the Seat Belts
-Very easy, for the male part of the seatbelt, it'll bolt right to the stock mounting location for pillar mounted seat belts. Unsure if it'll bolt-on if there are seat belts there, never done it on an 88.
-The female part of the seat belts have mounting locations there already, covered with sealant, just scrap it away. You'll need to largen the hole a bit, and screw the bolt on in. ***This is more then likely not safe, but this is how I do it. It's been field tested in a real accident and held up, but I do not guarantee the safety of mounting it this way***
Here are pictures of where to mount them:

Step 5: Re-Install the Interior
-Now it's time to re-install the interior, but before we can do that we gotta cut the interior to accomodate the latches and hinges. This is where the Dremel comes in, dont worry if you dont have one, you can do a quality job with a steak knife, oh and Dont worry about cutting in the wrong place, Honda's got your back, the cutting areas are stenciled out for you on the innerside of the interior. See:

When your done it should look like this:

-After that, go ahead and reinstall the Interior Panels, the 2 Side and 1 Middle Rear piece. Then the new Side Storage boxes, if you dont have the JDM ones, just make cuts in the side of your stock ones, or however you wanna do it.
If ya got em, put the JDM speaker covers in, with no holes for the old latches.
-Now the Lower Seat mounting. There should be 2 little latches on the bottom of your seat. There are 2 holes for them in your CRX already, covered in sealant, pictured here (under the carpet):

-Hold the carpet over the holes, and cut through both at once. Do this so the latches hold your carpet neatly under your seat.
-There's a third latche on your seat in the middle-back, just stick it up under your Upper seat portion and that's it.

(Optional) Step 6: Cutting the Cargo Cover
-If you didn't pick up a JDM one that fits, and care about it, you'll need to cut your Cargo Cover to accomodate the Backseat. A good referance point for where to cut can be obtained by marking how far your Upper Seat goes back on the interior. Just mark it on each side with tape or something. Next, put your seat down and the Cover on.
-Put Tape on it to mark where it will need cut.
-Cut it with your Dremel, or whatever ya got, and slap it on there. Your done.

If you followed my directions it should look like this:

That's my write up, if I left out something or got a detail wrong, let me know and I'll correct it.
Hope this helps those who need it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Nice. And if you have most of the back interior apart, take a shot vac to the flooring to clean it up. I did to my hatch when the carpet was out and the rear seats and it took a funky smell out of the car (with the help of a new to me carpet).

·
Registered
227 Posts
the Rear Seat Upper & Lower
2 Latches
2 Hinges
2 Hinge Mounts
Complete Seat Belts
could be from a ef9 from a junk yard or did you buy them some were else im asking this because i also have the rear seats on my rex and i what to install the seat belts on my rear seats.

·
Registered
632 Posts
danielleb said:
Is that seat actually comfortable to sit in? cuz it doesnt look like it!.... but then if its ur rex and ur the one driving who cares... im just curious....
The only things that really affect comfort is how tall the rider is and how far the person in front has the seat pushed back. If the driver is say around 5'6 then there's enough foot room, unless the back seat passenger is way too tall themselves or has HUGE feet. I fit fine back there with several inches to spare above my head.
I thought I read that someone about 6'0 sat in one without hitting the hatch.

Now that's not saying I'd stick 2 full grown adults back there for a cross country trip... :rolleyes1:

·
Registered
779 Posts
The back seat is designed for small children. I've seen kids riding in the back of a CRX before and they are about the only things fit back there lol. You could fit 2 adults, uncomfortably, or 1 with some leg room I guess. Either way, it's not a really roomy seat so it's more or less a show thing.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
ludesrv said:
The back seat is designed for small children. I've seen kids riding in the back of a CRX before and they are about the only things fit back there lol. You could fit 2 adults, uncomfortably, or 1 with some leg room I guess. Either way, it's not a really roomy seat so it's more or less a show thing.
Its not designed for small children, its designed for Japanese people... they are typically shorter than Americans, and can actually fit back there, especially when the driver has the seat all the way up. Scandanavians are also shorter than normal people. There is a lot of data thats collected on the scale of people.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
rex2nr said:
Its not designed for small children, its designed for Japanese people... they are typically shorter than Americans, and can actually fit back there, especially when the driver has the seat all the way up. Scandanavians are also shorter than normal people. There is a lot of data thats collected on the scale of people.
Ahahah so random.... but so true!

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have the rear seat unstalled on my rex and i was wondering were did you get
2 Latches
2 Hinges
2 Hinge Mounts
did you get them of a ef9 from a junk yard or from some other car, im asking this is becasue i whant to put seat belts on my rear seat convertion or if anyone knows...help

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can try Ebay, but they want a fortune.

Otherwise, I know a guy in Scotland that will trade even up for your cargo tray. ALl you pay is shipping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey sorry to revive this, but as a Euro CRX owner i have back seats stock and i'll give in what problems you'll encounter with having people in the back seat. As i am 5'7 i can have my seat all the way forward, and i have had 2 friends of mine which are well higher than me (im the shortest of the bunch) and they sit fine, i always tell them "Open your legs hunny!" cuz thats the best way to sit there without hurting your legs too much.. and one more fair warning to any tall person sitting in the back of a CRX:

If the driver thinks speed bumps are fun to drive over, watch your head! i've had my friend headbutt the roof ;)

P.S. Make sure your car is not too low and that you have some good coilovers if lowered or your car could bottom out on bumpy roads and maybe speed bumps..

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've had 4 people in mine.....including me! (300lbs)

That is the only, and last time. My rear seat isn't for function, it's for show purpose only. Anyone thinking that it's safe (especially a USDM converted) is out of their friggen mind.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.