Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a bunch of old pictures on my wife's old/my new laptop. Someone was asking about leaking tail lights awhile back. It'll cost less than $12 versus the $50 from the dealer. Here's a DIY I did awhile back -

Step 1

Go to your local arts/crafts store and buy 6 sheets of "Funny Fun Foam". They're half the thickness you need so use spray adhesive to glue two sheets together.

Step 2

Use the old gaskets as a pattern, trace them out in chalk, and cut them out with an utility knife. Use a drill bit to make the holes for studs. New gasket on top, old on the bottom.

Step 3

Use silicone sealant to seal the gasket to the body.

Step 4

Reinstall the tail lights.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ti Rider said:
Just found a bunch of old pictures on my wife's old/my new laptop. Someone was asking about leaking tail lights awhile back. It'll cost less than $12 versus the $50 from the dealer. Here's a DIY I did awhile back
That someone would be me :lol:

Im gonna save a whole bunch of money on my......troublesome crx :wink:

·
Registered
567 Posts
i just did this today. ill have to wait til it rains to see if it worked. but its a great solution. and sure beats paying dealer prices.

coveted. just go to any arts and crafts store. like AC moore, or Michaels.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I used the cork/rubber stuff you make oil pan gaskets, etc out of.

I made a cork gasket and put it on the tail light side, on top of the original gasket so it would be smooshed more. It worked great. No sealant mess either!

:wink:

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My CRX is currently apart while I'm working on it, but when I put it back together I will be replacing the gaskets.

I have plans to use a gasket inside and outside of the metal shell, with a stiff plate on the inside that the bolts pull against to distribute the weight more evenly across the frame. I might also use rubber bushings to "shock mount" my lights.

When I commence this operation, I will take pictures and post them up. Thanks for making the how-to.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Doing this today. I mistakenly got this rubber foam at Wal-Mart today. Same stuff...just not long enough. They have some in other colors that were bigger, so I'll go and get some and do it today when installing my new tails. Thanks for the info!

By the way, I found it in the Arts and Crafts section (I didn't even know that section existed!) where they have fabric and other crap.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Did this this weekend, but used funky foam from hobby lobby, $0.99 for a 12"x18" sheet, 3mm thick, great idea, thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
*ORIGINAL*
I've been putting this off for a couple months and we just started to get rain again so I'm in a rush to get this done. My passenger side tail light gets water in it, but not as bad as some others have mentioned. I went out last night looking for a hobby store and both of the stores near my house appear to have gone out of business. Next closest spot was Wal-mart to check out the foam mentioned by Its Me DUB and he's right about it being just a little too small. The bigger sheets only came in pastel looking colors and even though it wouldn't be visible, I'd still know I had the pink foam behind the lights.

I'm going to look for a hobby/craft shop near my work and see what I find. I'll update this post with pictures when I get it done.

*UPDATE 2/4/08*
So I went to Michael's and picked up 6 sheets of what they had at $0.99 each. The foam they carry is called Cool Foam. The foam was 2mm thick and it does match up pretty well to the stock stuff as far as texture (actually, it feels a little better). The only problem I had with it was the thickness. For my liking, I'd have to stick together 3 sheets to get the thickness I want. I used the 3M glue and the 2 sheets stuck really well, but I don't think I want a third sheet glued on. I have a small shopping list going for an order with majestic and I'm going to go ahead and grab the OEM stuff to see how much of a difference there is.

Just to make the point, the craft store stuff does look great and feel great, but for me on my car, I want to directly compare the official stuff.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If folks can't find the foam, let me know, I've got some extra and run by the hobby lobby in asheboro a few times a year--this stuff is cheap enough I don't mind the idea of being a source if you're not in a rush.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
GameFAQsRolo said:
Next closest spot was Wal-mart to check out the foam mentioned by Its Me DUB and he's right about it being just a little too small. The bigger sheets only came in pastel looking colors and even though it wouldn't be visible, I'd still know I had the pink foam behind the lights.
It's ok...only the hardcore kids can handle pastels...

8)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its me DUB said:
It's ok...only the hardcore kids can handle pastels...
If I don't find anything else tonight, I'll probably go with the pastels... but I'll just avoid the pink one based on principle. It's probably too late for me anyway, the rain is already coming down and it's not going to stop for the next few days. For now I have a tarp over the whole car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
another solution to this (that i heard...) is to make some small holes on the bottom side of the taillights with a drill so when water goes in it goes right through the little holes, i dont realy know if this works thought since ive never done it nor seen it lol

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That works, until the holes get stopped up. And you'll still have condensation issues some days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.