Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, since there is no "How to" for the rear disc brake conversion, here is a little write up of how I did mine. Moderators do your thing if it qualifies as a "how to"

1. Buy your disc set up (any 90-2001 Integra, 90-91 CRX Si, 92-2000 Civic or 93-97 Del Sol with rear discs will work)
2. Since you'll have the rear end completely disassembled, check for any tear or anything that needs to be replaced (i.e: bushings, brake lines, stock shocks, etc.) and check your master cylinder and booster in case they need to be replaced.
3. BE SAFE!!! :!:. I know everybody here would rather hear from you asking how to fix something in your car than hear that you got hurt fixing your car. BE SAFE.

Items needed:
-Your car, lol.
-Brake set up
-E-brake cables from a 90-91 CRX Si
-4040 prop valve (you'll need a 2040 CRX Si prop valve if you are keeping your stock front calipers, I am upgrading mine to EX or DA calipers.)
-Bunch of tools (don't remember the actual sizes)
-Jack and jack stands (a car lift would be the best if you have access to one)
-Bleeder pump ($25 on autozone)
-Brake parts cleaner
-Brake fluid
-A good friend who can help you hold stuff
-And music so you wont be bored

*Before you start, replace the E-brake cables, clean and replace whatever you need to while the parts are still out.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CONTINUATION

1. The first thing I did was disconnect the e-brake cable from the inside on the car.
2. Unbolt the screws that hold the e-brake cable on the chassis (should be 4 of them)
3. Loosen up all bolts so it will be easier later on to get them out.
4. Unbolt the dampers from the wall.

5. Unbolt the lower control arms from the chassis and the shocks

6. Unbolt the compensator arm from the back of the trailing arms and keep the trailing arm hold up with the middle bolts.

7. Get the new swap ready to go in.
8. Disconnect the brake lines and unbolt the middle bolts from the trailing arms.
9.With the help of you friend, put in the new set up holding it in place with the bolts in the middle of the trailing arm. (see pic above)
10. Connect the brake line and clean up the brake fluid mess to prevent any accidents. Remember, safety.

11. Put everything back together.
12. Swap the prop valve. (The recommended tool for removing the brake lines is a 10mm flarenut wrench)

*You will need to use your REX compensator arm because it is longer. The one from the swap might be smaller and will not let the trailing arm sit properly in its place.

After you are done putting everything back together, its time to bleed your brakes. Here is when that pump comes in handy.

1. Make sure that the master cylinder is full of fresh brake fluid. Start the bleeding process from the farthest tire to the master Cyl. and work your way to the closest. (rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver).
2. Press the brake pedal 5 to 10 times to release pressure.
3. Remove the dust cap from the bleeder bolt on the caliper.

4. Plug in the hose of the pump to the bleeder bolt, loosen it up and start pumping. You'll see air coming out first, then brake fluid with a lot of air bubbles, and then brake fluid alone. After identifying this, tighten up the bleeder bolt. check the Master cyl. and fill it up as necessary.
5. Repeat this process to all calipers, step on the brake pedal 5 to 10 times to send pressure to the calipers, and you are done.

Easy, right?....Here are some pics of the before and after with the cleaning and make up. (I cleaned up and painted the front calipers again)

Me doing my thing

I want to thank everybody in the community for your help and information on how to do this swap. Now I am trying to help others with this write up. If there is anything I missed, please post it too...

Adilson...

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Good write up! The only thing I have an issue with is the prop valve, you have the wrong one. The 4040 doesn't flow enough fluid for those stock front brakes, you'd want one from a 90-91 Si (2040). The 4040 is what you'd want for DA/EX front calipers, it will actually make your front brakes worse.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
downest said:
Good write up! The only thing I have an issue with is the prop valve, you have the wrong one. The 4040 doesn't flow enough fluid for those stock front brakes, you'd want one from a 90-91 Si (2040). The 4040 is what you'd want for DA/EX front calipers, it will actually make your front brakes worse.
yeah i got plan to change them in a lil while... thats why I decided to get the 4040 so I wont have to change it again later... thanks thou, I will put that info on it to clarify...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I used the e-brake cables that came on the arms of a 93 teg and they worked fine, they were a lil long, but if you just zip tie them or otherwise attach them right, to where they just make some extra little turns to take up the slack they work fine, and there isnt any added resistance, that I can notice anyway, feels the same as when I pulled the e-brake with my drums. Just wanted to throw that in there for any of you that are having a hard time gettin the SI cables, you can easily make do without. Nice write up btw.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.