Honda CRX Forum banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I believe the brake lines and hand brake cables are connected with the swap. And yes tonight i began to break down the brakes. Knocked out the trailing arm bushings(they were toast) checked the pads and rotors both seemed good and pads seemed new, but i still plan to buy new rotors and pads anyhow. So are you saying i can or cant use the trailing arms from the Si? And I plan to use the compensator arms from my DX as the Si ones have been cut into during removal. I was just really under the impression that the 91' DX and Si rear brake systems were interchangeable besides having to change the prop valve, and of course the rotor and drum

· Registered
116 Posts
I know this is an old thread. But given that it is a how-to thread, I figure it's okay to add to an old thread. Anyway, it seems to be commonly recommended to use DA Integra rear trailing arms on ED/EF Civics and CRXs for rear disc brake swaps. But from what I have found, this is not without a potential problem. Specifically, the DA trailing arm actually brings the rear wheel out toward the fender by about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. There are admittedly many situations where this is not an issue. However, if you are using wider and/or larger diameter tires and wheels and possibly lowering your car, this change in wheel position is enough to cause SERIOUS problems with tire rubbing. Even more modest tire/wheel/suspension setups can cause rubbing with DA trailing arms if your car is more heavily loaded, especially with lots of cargo in the rear. I have to say I'm actually surprised this hasn't been brought up ONCE in this thread.

The solution to this problem is to not use DA Integra trailing arms. If you can find 1990-1991 Civic/CRX trailing arms, GREAT. Slap them on your car with rear discs and be done with it. But these can be quite rare at salvage yards. If you CAN'T find them (or if they are available, but at high cost used), pull the rear spindles off a DA Integra (by the four Torx bolts and one large nut) and swap them onto 1990-1991 Civic/CRX drum brake trailing arms. This, of course, is NOT an issue if your car is a 1990-1991 model. But 1988-1989 cars will require you get 1990-1991 trailing arms, as the brake hoses and parking brake cables don't fit properly on the older arms. Then just bolt the DA Integra rear brake hardware to the hybrid trailing arms.

· Registered
126 Posts
if this wasnt mentioned, if you are changing a prop valve or master cylinder, the correct bleeding order is not farthest to closest, we use a crossed brake system with two porst on the master cylinder. according to the book on the car (and I will vouch for the hundreds of brake flushes I have done), the order is Right Rear, Front Left, then Rear Left, Front Right. This is done because if you ingest a lot of air from the master cylinder, by bleeding the opposing corners one after the other, it will purge air from that side of the resovoir by pushing it out through the bleeder valve.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts