Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We could all go out and buy the fenders with the holes already cut and in the correct spot, but what fun would that be?

Crx Sidemarker Install
Tools:
-marker
-masking tape
-tape measure or ruler
-dremel tool
-patience

1.Measurements and placement.

2. Using a marker, make your measurements and use masking tape to masks off the area. It will prevent chipping the paint and give you a guide for cutting.

The following pics are from the install last year when my Fiance and I did this to the Crx last year. At the time, I didn't have the exact measurements as posted above, so mine may seem a little off but you get the basic idea of how to go about doing this.

Doing it the first time, each side took about 30-45mins.
It is something that can be done in an afternoon, but I don't recommend you rush it. Remember you can always cut more, but you can't add it, so test fitting the piece often is in your best interest. Cut the hole smaller than you may need. It was easier to cut the fender while still on the car, but that is up to you.
Finally, if the paint around the cut area is chipped, with the appropriate size brush you can use touch up paint. Apply as/where needed.

Measure 5 times, cut once. :D

Feel free to add if anything was missed.

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
downest said:
I'll sticky this, see if it gets some comments, and then move it over to the how to. Baker can you email me or John (ComposiMo) a zip of all the pics so we can host them on here?
The pics i posted are the only ones i found so i think that must be all i have left from that install.

ludesrv said:
You didn't mention how you should touch up the paint on the cut edges to prevent rust. Other then that it's good info.
I thought people could figure that out, but i will add that.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Thats how I did it. The seller I got mine from included a template so I cut that out, and taped it in the square, then started cutting. I cut it a bit small and the opened it up until the light fit.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I work in a lighting Mfg, and we have some nice small LED lights with mouting brackets that would be awesome for this. maybe I'll tinker a bit with these.

I've got a nice LED tail lamp conversion coming up soon. Watch for it. hehe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great guide. I wish I found this earlier. I had my side marker higher than when I wanted. Anyway, I would like to add something:

To keep the side marker light on when your headlight/running light is on, and use the blinker at the same time. Just tap 1 wire from the side marker to positive of the blinker, and the other wire of the side marker to the positive of the running light (located next to the headlight).

To test the positive of the blinker, connect 1 wire of the side marker to the metal of the car and the other to one of the 2 blinker wire. Turn on your blinker and see if it blink. If it blink, it's positive. Use tape to mark it. Do the same with the running light. Repeat for the other side.

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lanrete said:
Great guide. I wish I found this earlier. I had my side marker higher than when I wanted. Anyway, I would like to add something:

To keep the side marker light on when your headlight/running light is on, and use the blinker at the same time. Just tap 1 wire from the side marker to positive of the blinker, and the other wire of the side marker to the positive of the running light (located next to the headlight).
That's how they're (88-91) supposed to be wired anyway.
92+ is wired the opposite way. The sidemarker only comes on when you use the turn signal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.