Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Install a Skunk2 Intake Manifold On Your D-Series
(this is very rough right now, its mainly just showing wherehoses etc go)

So during my MPFI Swap i acquired a skunk2 intake manifold.
Below are the labeled locations of where everything plugs in etc.

Tools required/stuff required
10,12,14 mm sockets, wrenchs, speed wrenchs.
Intake manifold gasket
Throttle body gasket for the throttle body used.
*MAP Sensor gasket( if you use a new map sensor. if your tb has one already then dont worry)
go to autozone and pick up some "caps" for valves. they have a variety pack for 6$ that was all i needed
Coolant ( you loose some on the removal or old intake manifold)
Skunk manifold instructions are handy...you can get them via there website

Remove your stock intake manifold by following the helms guide or honda workshop manual. reinstall according to that. this is more or less focusing on where lines, vacuum hoses etc go. the install itself for the manifold is straight forward.

When you have both manifolds off switch the eacv over to the skunk2 manifold and switch the iat sensor over as well.Switch over your throttle body, fuel rail, injectors etc. do not lose any of the spacers etc.
basically take everything from the stock manifold and put it onto the skunk2 one.
once done with that

Remove and throw out your charcoal canister. buhhhh byeee

then

The stock map sensor that is mounted to the firewall, unbolt it and throw that crap out. in my case i was able to hook my map sensor to the spot on my throttle body with my new map sensor. make it go buhhhhh byeeee

before puttin on the intake manifold, take a minute to make sure you understand what goes where. its a tight fit and some wiggeling was required to get it to fit in.

A - cap this off and throw out the charcoal canister etc.
B - This can go to E
C - Cap this off.
D - 5
E - B
F - 6
G - waterpipe or coolant line
H - L
I - DO NOT USE (this is used to prevent cold starts etc..mainley used in canada )
J - DO NOT USE (this is used to prevent cold starts etc..mainley used in canada )
K -7
L - TO H
** if you have 2 outlets on your water pipe on the back of the motor...just plug one off..i swapped mine out for a single outlet tube off of a d15b2. MAKE SURE YOU GET NEW ORINGS FOR THE WATER TUBE!!!...you can plug it by just using a small piece of hose..slip it on and clamp it down..then put a bolt in the other end and clamp that down so they are snug and no fluid will come out of the extra outlet**

This is information that i received from Downest who took time out his day and called me with an answer. thanks dude i appreciate it a ton. if i misinterperted it please let me know, i will be hooking everything up tonight and turning the car over for the first time in 8 months. im excited.

Numbers
1,2,3,4 got deleted. 8 and 9 were deleted also. the spot where 9 plugs into ( i believe thats a coolant line) goes into the eacv.

The stock map sensor that is mounted to the firewall, unbolt it and throw that crap out. in my case i was able to hook my map sensor to the spot on my throttle body with my new map sensor.

Everything else gets capped off or deleted.

Once you have actually got the intake installed etc, you need to mount the throttle cable. i had a 92-96 civic throttle cable bracket which i just bent to work. see my pic.
itll look like this after

Once the manifold is installed, start connecting the lines as the above diagram showed. Plug each plug into its respective spot. You may want to lengthen the stock map sensor wires, just becuase they are very tight and short. lengthen them about 1-2 feet and then you can run the wires low and up the back side.

follow reinstall procedure from honda.
available here
add some http:// to this ~> hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/CRX/ - full manual download.
or here to search by sections
add some http:// to this extension ~> media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/CRXManual/

Pics of the aftermarket install...please let me know if anything seems outa place.

the line that isnt connected to anythingin this picture went to the water tube that runs behind the block...it had a spot for a hose to plug into..

THIS IS ALL THE STUFF I Took out

Video of it running..it was throwing a code 14 and 4 becuase of a wiring issue during the mpfi swap.
stock d15b2 with mpfi swap stock header and exhaust. no intake on it at this time.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
This how to is really helping me out on my skunk 2 manifold.So where did you got that gasket paper to make gaskets? and for the manifold gasket you order the stock one right for your d15b2 right? I got a d16a6 so i just order the stock one.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you actually will just order the stock d16a6 gasket..i did not have mpfi when i did this. i converted from dpfi. so i had to source a throttle body, injectors, wire harness, etc. but considering you will be using your a6 throttle body just order that gasket.

i got the gasket paper stuff at autozone/ace hardware/pep boys etc etc

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it actually was, but i had to modify the injectors because i think it was off a zc..or i needed zc injectors..i forget..i had to grind some silly tabbs off the inside of the injectors..that was all.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
So i have installed most of the things into my Skunk2 manifold only thing missing is the intake air temp sensor "IAT" Thats the white thing on the side of the manifold.Well it doesnt goes in its like the hole is to little so how do i fix this?Do i need this thing installed?Also i got the Skunk2 Pro Series intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what year is the manifold for that you ordered?

i would look for an IAT for that year..you can get at junk yard..i may have anextra but where you plug it in is damaged but it would work with some electrical tape :)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have no idea what year it it, i bought it from a member from here.You know the tip of it, well a little goes in then it gets thicker and that doesn't goes in. I was thinking of trimming that but i don't know if its still gonna work.Or drill the hole a bit bigger. And what gasket did you order for your TB.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would try sanding the unit only if its a little..but if its a significant amount then just drill the manifold..thats the easier way.

i actually am still looking for a gasket...i used home made cut a gasket from autozone...

Mr Gasket on TH motorsports is the one im going to order..its 6.57..everyone else was 15$

·
Registered
199 Posts
did u use a TB from auto or a manual civic?
from what ive read the sensors are in diffrent places and im wondering if it matters when put on a crx?

·
Registered
199 Posts
crxken said:
nice write up...i'm definately going to use this when I get one for my A6.

but can anyone tell me what kind of gains this makes? is it noticable?
Do you already have mpfi or are you switching to mpfi?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry took me so long to respond..i use a 92-95 civic throttle body..it says in the skunk2 directions what you need. i believe you can download their directions off their website

www.skunk2.com

·
Registered
228 Posts
just got done installing mine have a few problems tho its got a high idle at startup around 3000 rpms. ive changed the iacv with a known good one and used the one off the im that was on my car? i even hooked the oem map sensor that i took off as well and the samething. i see a few of your hoses are going to the wrong spots you have labeled but im pretty sure ive got mine pretty close. if you want to see pics of how i got mine hooked up let me know i can post em. just wanna figure out whats causing this high idle

·
Registered
146 Posts
mike420crx said:
just got done installing mine have a few problems tho its got a high idle at startup around 3000 rpms. ive changed the iacv with a known good one and used the one off the im that was on my car? i even hooked the oem map sensor that i took off as well and the samething. i see a few of your hoses are going to the wrong spots you have labeled but im pretty sure ive got mine pretty close. if you want to see pics of how i got mine hooked up let me know i can post em. just wanna figure out whats causing this high idle
burp the coolant or you have a vac leak

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.