Honda CRX Forum banner

How to: Swap Chevy Rearview Mirror w/maplight (56k beware)

27K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  NerdCore314 
#1 ·
This swap intergrates the rearview mirror taken from a chevy/pontiac.
the mirror includes a maplight which adds extra lighting to an already dark car and is overall convenient.

The mirror can be found at the junk yards on later models of:
Lumina
Corvette
Malibu
Firebird
and more

simply look at the mirror and see if its similar to the one shown below

The mirror is attached to 3 wires which are colored white, black and orange. There are other mirrors but this one was favorable because it has a switch.

-----------------
Tools required:
Dremel with cutting tool and perhaps a grinding tool
drill with bits
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
wire, solder, electrical tape
--------------
Materials:
CRX rearview mirror with arm
Chevy/Pontiac Mirror

------------------
First off. The mirror.

Using a flat head, pry open the mirror. You will have to pry all the way around to open the mirror

Once complete, remove the chevy arm unit by prying it out.

Next get the CRX mirror

And remove the arm

Our next step is to remove the arm unit inside the mirror. I tried prying but i couldn't pull it off so i decided to cut the unit out.

Begin cutting along the line

Cut all the way around

You'll end up with this

Now remove the crx arm unit.

Pry the following points to remove it.

once pried, just take it out

CRX arm unit

The two part in comparison back to back: The crx unit is clearly bigger and won't fit.

We'll cut the arm unit to size

another view of the arm unit cut points for your reference

here is the arm unit after cutting to size

The level can also be cut but due to this conversion, it won't be functional. Sorry.

both pieces cut to size

it fits quite well but we need space for the arm.

cut the following to make space for the arm

now theres space

You can now install the crx unit for testing purposes and to aim the drill holes

You should now attach the arm.

I found it was easier to fit the unit by trimming the sections below out.

once complete, drill two holes for the arm unit screws

What i basically found was that the unit wasn't secure and so i decided to get longer screws and screw all the way into the crx unit.

heres the job done.

wiring isn't too hard. theres only three wires.

I would recommend you remove your roof lining to make the job easier.
1. simply attach the black wire to any ground on the chassis.
2. attach the white wire to the dome light's ground wire. This wire is only ground when the doors are open.
3. attach the orange wire to the positive 12v wire that goes to the dome light.
if done properly, the lights will turn on along with the dome lights when the doors are open. this also allows you to switch on the lights while the doors are closed.

------------------------------
Heres a version i did in my first gen. The guide above was made for the 2nd gen crx. I used my friend's mirror.

Good luck ^_^

UPDATE!!!
I came up with a better and easier way. :) No cutting involved!

Since I recently got an EK, I discovered a few new tricks. Now I just need verification that it works.

First off, my question, are the crx and civic 96-00 rear view mirror mounts the same?
I've been told by a few people they are and if they are, then we're game.

someone check if the two mounts really are the same because they darn look similar but I don't have a 2nd gen to test it.

Now if they're the same, check the back of the EK mirror. You'll notice a cover, removing the cover unveils a screw. removing the screw allows the ball joint to ezily pop off.

now amusingly we started out with this GM mirror which has an also very similar ball joint which also fits very nicely into the EK arm.

And I just completely removed the cutting portion of the mirror. At the least for EKs. If the mirror mounts are universal across the civics and CRXs, then I just made a sweet mod :D

the wiring remaining is cake in comparison
for those too lazy to look thru the other post, the wiring is as follows:

See less See more
#3 ·
If any one attempts this they need to be aware the wiring can be different. I did this a few months ago but I broke my first mirror went back and got an identical one but it had extra wiring. The new one actually had wiring to let the light turn on when the driver door is open which is a nice thing to have.

#5 ·
Krix said:
If any one attempts this they need to be aware the wiring can be different. I did this a few months ago but I broke my first mirror went back and got an identical one but it had extra wiring. The new one actually had wiring to let the light turn on when the driver door is open which is a nice thing to have.
yea, i found one with only 2 wires.

the thing to note is that there are switches on the mirror. 3 wires.

oh yea, i forgot to say that this swap was inspired by krix :D

#10 ·
I got my 1997 Chevy Lumina's rear mirror today!!! Damn it i didnt got the plug with the wires!!! Thanks for the picture thats shows which pins are for what.Could anyone get me that plug from a junk yard? im to lazy to go damn it. hehehe well ill start this little project today :D

#11 ·
Well im done with mine!! looks great much much better light.The only problem is that the sun visor hits the mirror. But i rarery use the visors so not a problem for me.I was gonna post some pics, but it wont let me do it here.

#14 ·
Krix said:
Thats part of why I used one that connects to the windshield. My visors still have full range without hitting the mirror.
hmm... so that means that first gen visors are shorter? Actually they're also adjustable... >.>;;; first gen visors can be adjusted horizontally by a single phillips screw. Thats probably why i didn't get that problem. I found that since the mirror is kinda tilted anyways, it also reduces the interference.

#15 ·
windraver said:
Krix said:
Thats part of why I used one that connects to the windshield. My visors still have full range without hitting the mirror.
hmm... so that means that first gen visors are shorter? Actually they're also adjustable... >.>;;; first gen visors can be adjusted horizontally by a single phillips screw. Thats probably why i didn't get that problem. I found that since the mirror is kinda tilted anyways, it also reduces the interference.
Yea my visor(drivers side) doesnt hit it, just the right side visor does.But i love it so far!!!! Thanks for this how to Windraver.

#16 ·
JDMCrx91 said:
windraver said:
Krix said:
Yea my visor(drivers side) doesnt hit it, just the right side visor does.But i love it so far!!!! Thanks for this how to Windraver.
haha no problem. I love the lighting as well ^.^; my friends always did call me a lights whore... -.-;;

#17 ·
Great write up!!!!
I have recently decided to take on this upgrade. I am taking it a step further though. I used to own a 97 K1500 Z71. The rearview mirror in that truck had the Elctrochromatic Dimming feature, really nice feature. So i purchased a mirror with - map lights, auto-tinting dim, onstar (not sure what to use it for yet). It has taken some research on the12volt.com. I have 10 wires that had to figure out. I now have the wiring diagram and pin-out list. So all that is left is the Windshield mount, yes i know its not going to be as OEM looking as this. I will post up install info and possibly some pics. Let ya know how it went, this weekend. I hope. weather providing.

#18 ·
jtkc said:
Great write up!!!!
I have recently decided to take on this upgrade. I am taking it a step further though. I used to own a 97 K1500 Z71. The rearview mirror in that truck had the Elctrochromatic Dimming feature, really nice feature. So i purchased a mirror with - map lights, auto-tinting dim, onstar (not sure what to use it for yet). It has taken some research on the12volt.com. I have 10 wires that had to figure out. I now have the wiring diagram and pin-out list. So all that is left is the Windshield mount, yes i know its not going to be as OEM looking as this. I will post up install info and possibly some pics. Let ya know how it went, this weekend. I hope. weather providing.
sounds like fun. so you're sourcing the mirror from a chevy k1500 z71 correct? I haven't been able to find any of their rear mirrors on ebay at the moment but if I do I can help out with the wiring i'm sure :D

edit:
well at the moment i've found one with dim and compass

for future reference: [97 98 99 Continental Auto Dim Rear View Mirror Compass]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98-99 ... 35a416f9be

this one is pretty cool too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IMPREZA- ... 20ad80ce87

it has something for opening garage doors. Though I think it'll be a pain to wire.

#19 ·
Well I wanted the feature of the Electro-chromatic dimming along with the map lights.
I found one on E-bay from an 05 impala. Also been told ENVOY or BRAVADA have them.
(from what i am told via The12volt.com, member i exchanged info with).
this is what i purchased for install. for 38 bucks shipped to my door.

Came with Pigtail, and about 12 inches of wire from the harness.
Tested it on my dewalt Battery pack. Everything works.
Looks like weather is going to be great for install this weekend (crossing fingers).
(from what i am told via The12volt.com, member i exchanged info with).

Trying to find a Mirror with map lights and Auto-dimm/tint what have you from a Gm/chevy Truck model is Virtually impossible. Most trucks only came with compass and dimming. So yes and no lol. I thought about buying one from another auto maker like the ones you listed. I just thought i would stick to the topic.

So if i get the Mega metal mounting piece. It will hopefully be installed this weekend. If so i will provide before after pics along with wiring info if needed. Looks to be fun and mildly tough install due to wiring connections.

#20 ·
well i installed my map light, but i havent wired it up yet.

i did it a little differently, but thank you for the pics. i used a DA mirror, the arm is a bit longer. and the ball is installed completely differently inside the mirror. so that required some rethinking. i'll have pics later if anyone is interested. i used a bunch of hot glue to install the ball holder inside.

my passenger side visor just barely brushes the end of the mirror when you swing it. im not sure how it is for you guys, if its any better since the arm is longer and further out. i was hoping it would clear it completely, but the mirror doesnt move out of position when touched.

btw, i would just break the glass to get inside the old OEM one, instead of trying to cut it out as shown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.