Tools needed:
Safety Glasses
Breather mask
OEM ashtray
#2 Phillip screwdriver
Dremel tool with sanding drum and cutting tip
Can of soda

Getting started:

• First you want to take the ashtray out of the car and clean it. Take the two screws out that hold the face plate on.[/*]
  • Now drill a small pilot hold with your cutting tip towards the front and center of your ashtray.[/*]
  • Now trace your can of soda on the bottom of the ashtray. Make sure to put it as far forward as possible.[/*]
  • After cutting out as much as you can with the cutting tip, use the sanding drum to smooth up the over all shape. [/*]
  • Test fit and sand some more. (repeat as necessary)[/*]

*edit to add*
I was just thinking bout the way I cut it out and had a lot of sanding to do. Perhaps if I did it over again, I would use a small drill bit in a hand drill to trace the inner edge of my can outline with small holes. Then carefully punch out the majority of the middle. It would save a LOT of sanding.

Now that you can pass the can easily through the ashtray, reinstall it into the car and enjoy.

*Notes*
My ashtray was missing the metal retaining tab. If I had one, I would cut it into an "L" shape so the retaining tab would hold the ashtray in place, but allow room for the can to set in place.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
My next crx...my progect might get something like this but, more likely the integra arm-rest cup holder.

-Chris

Besides didn't you know all crx's come factory with a cup holder? It's right between the e-brake and the pass. seat.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
imgoingforit said:
My next crx...my progect might get something like this but, more likely the integra arm-rest cup holder.

-Chris

Besides didn't you know all crx's come factory with a cup holder? It's right between the e-brake and the pass. seat.
I used to have a cupholder, 110 pounds and blonde, held 2 cups without spilling!

·
Registered
354 Posts
downest said:
imgoingforit said:

-Chris

I used to have a cupholder, 110 pounds and blonde, held 2 cups without spilling!
:lol: Great! Mine still works! She was so efficient at it I married her. I went for the 3 cup option. One in each hand plus one between her legs. Not to mention it keeps her from messing with the heater/ac controls and prevents her from clicking over the county. :x

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bil said:
So, how was the smell when you were cutting/grinding?
Sorry, I overlooked a reply to you. My bad.

I had on a breather mask, I knew the plastic powder/sandings would be bad to breathe. So I didn't smell it much. I highley recommend using some sort of filter over your nose and mouth while doing the sanding. As well as safety glasses to protect your eyes. Flying plastic shavings can mess U up pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fireant said:
With the metal rataining thing, the ashtray doesnt open far enough to put a cup in unless you "release" the metal to completely remove the ash tray.

Does it stay with a soda there?
With no retaining clip, it held a 20oz coffee jsut fine on my ride to work lastnight. I don't know if I'd trust it with a can until I get the metal retainer. The cup is styrofoam and pretty much kept itself from sliding, although the holder kept it from tilting anywhere.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It looks like the metal retainer uses a notch to hold it still, so I think it would be possible to make another notch farther back, allowing it to open far enough, then cutoff the rest.

I'm glad someone is brave enough to try this. I need to get a spare ashtray and see if I can do it too!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's exactly how it's held in.

What I planned on doing, once i get the metal clip, was using a cut off wheel and cutting the metal retaining plate about 1mm past the retaining clip part so there's no tab to be in the way of my can/cup. That way it will still latch it in, but wont be sticking out.

Also, there seems to be two tabs that catch the retaining clip. I was going to dremel off the one in back, so the cupholder comes all the way out but is still retained.

If I wanted to remove the ashtray, I could use a small flat screwdriver to press the retaining clip down to remove it. But if I'm not smoking in it, what would I want to remove it?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Charles said:
downest said:
What size cups are we talking on that blonde and why was she holding them?
:lol: and... :lol:

You always crack me up, man.

The reason is simple, you gotta learn to play well by yourself before you can play well with others. :wink: :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.