Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much distance you get from the gas you put in your car. List any aftermarket/performance additions you have, what kind of driving you do and anything else you think might be a factor in the consumption equation.

i usually run 90 octane from Husky (2% alcohol added and claims to lower emisions) and im kinda heavy on the gas pedal. if im not in a hurry, i rev up to 3k before shifting, if im in a hurry i go to 6k.

i USUALLY get around 450 to 500 km a tank, and i fill up right when the needle touches the red E line.

Under the hood I have a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, NGK iridium spark plugs and thicker plug wires, a K&N air filter and a DC Sports 4-2-1 header.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
91 Si w/ b16 and y1 tranny. 2.5 in exhaust w/ turbo muffler. Heavy ww kit too.

In town ( where 97% of my driving is done ) i get 27-30mpg

On highway I get 32-34mpg ( on way to Niagara that was at an average of 80 mph)

·
Registered
47 Posts
89 Si with B16 and Y1 tranny. K&N filter, stock exhaust, HF front bumper and rear hatch, no sunroof. I drive it pretty hard and get 27-30 mpg in normal driving, higher of course with extended highway driving. I once tried driving "economically" by shifting at or below 3000 rpm for an entire tank of gas, and actually got worse mileage, only 25mpg. So now I just have fun and shift at anywhere from 5000-7500 rpm.

Laura usually gets 35-40 mpg in her 88 Si, completely stock. I have no idea how she manages it, since I've only gotten a best of 37mpg in my 92 CX and I drive that like it's meant to be driven, slow and boring.

·
Registered
293 Posts
89 hf z6 swap boosted 8-12 psi. the only time i drive my crx is when i want to go fast. so it seams i only get about 20 mpg

but my 94 coupe with a y8 swap is getting 35 city and 43 highway

·
Registered
500 Posts
88 Si with stock everything always got me 33-34mpg. A trip to the beach got 38mpg while going 75mph.

A recent trip to Oregon and back (1200 miles roundtrip) at 80-85mph average got 32, 34, 33, and 35mpg over the trip. For that trip I had installed a homemade intake in the stock location.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You guys are gonna hate me for this, but I'm getting about 14 kilometers per litre. Metric! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
1991 CRX HF B16 Y1 I get about 35 miles to the gallon but I drive it hard and it sucks on the freeway everyone is going at least 70 mph and that is like 5000 rpm in 5th gear for 30 minutes one way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
black_krix_si said:
MiniNSX said:
5000 rpm in 5th gear for 30 minutes one way.
pretty much the same for me, but i did it for 10 hours on the way to N11 :lol:
I think that a b16 can hadle those kind of rmp with our overheating.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
yeah it did fine.

I did have an overheating issue going up hills. It turned out that my radiator was seated properly so when i went up a hill the fan was pulling away from the radiator :lol: I fixed it somewhere in New York at a rest stop. Good thing half the bolts on the car are 10mm, I always have one in the glove box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get 40-45 mpg in the '85 Si, ? in the HF (speedo is broken, among other things). I brought the Si's mileage up from 35 when I bought it by doing a few tricks.

1. 35 tire psi all around
2. HF 5th gear
3. Removed pass. side mirror
4. Gutted interior (carpet, panels, sound deadening, etc)
5. Tune-up w/ timing
6. Intake, cat-back exhaust, need a header/new cat...
7. A/C belt removal (soon to be entire A/C, with sunroof not far behind)
8. Easy on the pedal...

That's the majority of efficiency mods, probably more if I think hard enough. Mak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts