Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a ZC tranny locally for a great deal, I'm thinking about going to pick it up today or tomorrow and making a hybrid with my Si final. Can someone give me a guide to do this swap, transmissions are kind of a black box to me. Also, is it a worthwhile project? I've heard that it's a decent acceleration improvement over the stock Si tranny with the closer ratio gears. What else will I need to get when I open the tranny case (seals etc)?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is all I need:
Parts that you will need to make this work

ZC transmission
Si ring gear and counter shaft
ZC or 1990-93 Integra axles
ZC or 1986-89 Integra intermediate shaft
I'm thinking I may want to just get a blown Si tranny or a Si ring gear and countershaft so I don't have to worry about not having a tranny if i break something.

Does anyone have a hybrid tranny? Can you tell me how much of a difference there is?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
downest said:
So this is all I need:
Parts that you will need to make this work

ZC transmission
Si ring gear and counter shaft
ZC or 1990-93 Integra axles
ZC or 1986-89 Integra intermediate shaft
You don't absolutely need the intermediate shaft and teg axles. You can just use 86-89 Accord axles which will eliminate the intermediate shaft. This is what I did with mine. If you're gonna build a hybrid, may as well put in new axle seals and especially a new input shaft seal. They're cheap, even from the dealer. btw- ask for axle seals for an 88-89 teg and input shaft seal for an 88-91 crx si. This is what I remember but my memory sucks so of course bring the old seals with you to compare before purchase.

Does anyone have a hybrid tranny? Can you tell me how much of a difference there is?
There was a recorded .9 second difference in the quarter mile over the dx tranny at the track for me. 15.3 vs 14.4 with a ZC motor in a stripped out 88 dx. I'm guessing that the hybrid will be a good 4 tenths better than the si. Oh, might also consider an hf 5th too. RPMs at 60mph in top gear will be 2615 for the hf -vs- 2906 for the si.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You could also use an aftermarket 4.7 or 4.9 final drive, ZC 1-4 and an HF 5th to make a super crazy transmission (that you can still drive on the freeway in 5th). I'm planning on building one for fun. :)

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Actually, I recall my comments about SRR final drives. They don't make them anymore and I've been reading that the quality was not so good either. I'm now on the look out for another reputable manufacture that makes a 4.7 or 4.9 final drive for our 88-91 d-series transmissions.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
EDIT. After emailing them, it's apparent that MFactory doesn't know very much about D-series transmissions. They claim that their Final Drive only works in hydro transmissions that originally came with D16A engines.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can someone tell me if I can use the Si diff and retain my axles? I know that using the teg axles I will have to remove a dust ring or something, I know it's probably fine but I'm not sure I want to do that. If I have to, I may just upgrade to DA brakes.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You shouldn't have to change your axles. You should be able to use your differential. It all depends on the bearing size of the transmission case that you are using. If you stay with the Si transmission case and just swap the gears over onto the Si Final Drive, you shouldn't have to worry about different axles at all.

It's likely that the ZC Transmission case will use the same size bearings as well. If it does, you can swap your differential over into that case. Either way, you still won't have to change axles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.