Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought me a 90 Accord EX Coupe. Of course not to replace the Rex, just an extra car probaly for my oldest daughter. Picked it up for $500! Of course it has some problems maybe some of you can help me with. The usual fender rot. A/C not working. Inside door levers broken (just need parts). Faded paint (may have a Maco job in it's future). And the big one that caused me to tow it home and not drive it, the master cylinder or the booster is leaking into the intake and making put out a smoke screen James Bond would be proud of. :lol: also I'm a little concerned the radiator was low and the oil was high :shock: don't say head gasket! Oil was clean and clear so I think it might just be too much. I'll watch once I start driving it. Every thing else pretty much works, sunroof, power door locks, power windows. It's got 220,000 miles and the interior just needs a good cleaning no rips. It's got a stock honda cassette player with optional 7 band equalizer (old school).

Here's some pics. Did I get a good deal or ripped off?

]

Any tips if the smoke is a bad booster or master cylinder let me know, I am watching a booster on Ebay for $50 new ones like $150.
My current fleet is...
2003 Chevy Trailblazer (Wifes)
2001 Honda Civic EX (Kids)
1991 Honda CRX SI (Mine all Mine :twisted:)
1990 Honda Accord EX Coupe (?)

·
Registered
634 Posts
From what I gather, the booster isn't nearly as likely to go bad as the master cylinder. It could be that the M/C is leaking brake fluid into the booster, where it's getting picked up by the vacuum lines and fed into the intake (at least some of the time). My M/C was leaking fluid internally, but not into the booster, so I didn't have the smoke. It's not a hard fix if it's just the M/C. Li'l harder for the booster (never had to replace one in 20 years and 7 or so Hondas, so maybe I'm just lucky like that).

The door levers being broken are pretty common. My '91 Accord did the driver's side at around 175k miles, and now the passenger-side one just cracked, at 195k miles. Old plastic. It's easy to replace, though, and not terribly expensive. I got my new driver's-side from Majestic Honda, but I can't remember what I paid (probably $30 or less). You replace the whole door-puller-opener and the plastic surround that it mounts into. Remove a couple screws, unclip a clip on the metal rod behind it, clip the new one on, and screw it in.

Do they still make cassettes? :) Mine has a stock tape deck, too, but I have no idea if it even works or not. I can't think of where I might have stashed all my 80s cassettes!

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.