Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
It's been a long time coming. And nowhere is really safe from this sort of garbage. Isn't it an invasion of privacy? Do we really not live in a free country anymore? Ehhh. :x

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
If this sort of thing were to become wide spread, I hope it would piss off alot of people enough to push for the speeding laws to be re-worked. I've said before that I would prefer the speed limits to be used to help determine liability in the event of an accident or perhaps as cause for an officer to pull over a car. In the latter case, the officer could issue a written warning to slow down, a ticket for wreckless driving or something else to that end.
Of course, most US citizens just don't care, so this simply wishful thinking.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I personally don't have a problem with this. It focuses on a stretch of highway that is notorious for speeding and accidents. I just hoped this isn't abused in the future. Plus they give you eleven miles per hour.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I know this is a touchy subject, but in high problem areas, this probably is the best solution. Its a high traffic area, and along with the traffic, it seems like people drive flat out stupid there, a good amount of time.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
How about my consitutional right to cross-examine my accuser? I can't question a camera, nor could it show up in court. Any ticket mailed to me by a camera is going straight to a judge with that argument, and I'll bet I could pull it off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
shadowcrx said:
thats why i am glad i live in illinois :lol:
I heard a funny story once (from a guy driving through your good 'ole state of Illinois.)

The Illini State Troopers were using abandoned vehicles and hiding radar cameras in them. Radar mounted in the rear window. You go over 76, you trigger the camera looking out the front window right at your plate as you pass the car. Those dirty [*]!

So this one guy triggers a camera, state of Illinois mails him a ticket along with a picture of the back of his car and the radar readout in plain view. Since he lives out of state, he's like "PFF! I AIN'T PAYIN' THAT!".

But the guy has a sense of humor, so he mails them back a picture of the money for the ticket. I guess the troopers had a *little* sense of humor, because he next received a notice to appear in court for "Failure to Comply" along with a picture of a pair of handcuffs.

What's so great about Illinois again?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Well, according to the info in the above link, Arizona can't assess points for red light or speeding violations, no driving school for red-light violators and limits fines to $100. That all makes sense because they can't prove who was driving.
On the other hand, that just turns it into a big money-making gimmick. It's like they've decided that they can't enforce these laws, so they're going to capitalize on the public's disobediance instead... A new form of taxing drivers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you guys over there not had these before? we have hundreds in england, my girlfriends been flashed three times, i've been got once, only about 10% i think, of the ones here are loaded with film. It is an ongoing debate as to whether they are good or not, the police say they have dropped the death toll on problem areas, i say they are a pain in the arse most of the time. People are so busy making sure they are going the right speed that they aren't paying attention to the road ahead of them, also they act as a bottle neck, people slow down to pass through them cause a jam and then speed up once they are through, totally pointless i think, but if there are people really taking the p##s an doing over a ton then fair do's, at that speed not only will you kill yourself but the person you hit to. its not an invasion of privacy, just another way to control you.

·
Registered
859 Posts
auTONYmous said:
shadowcrx said:
thats why i am glad i live in illinois :lol:
I heard a funny story once (from a guy driving through your good 'ole state of Illinois.)

The Illini State Troopers were using abandoned vehicles and hiding radar cameras in them. Radar mounted in the rear window. You go over 76, you trigger the camera looking out the front window right at your plate as you pass the car. Those dirty [*]!

So this one guy triggers a camera, state of Illinois mails him a ticket along with a picture of the back of his car and the radar readout in plain view. Since he lives out of state, he's like "PFF! I AIN'T PAYIN' THAT!".

But the guy has a sense of humor, so he mails them back a picture of the money for the ticket. I guess the troopers had a *little* sense of humor, because he next received a notice to appear in court for "Failure to Comply" along with a picture of a pair of handcuffs.

What's so great about Illinois again?
let me assure you there is no humour in the bellys of the state police, they are striaght up assholes,

is't it illegal to be throwing radar unless you have at least your parkinglights on? let alone out of an unmaned vehicle!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
In Canada, they tried using photo radar for a while. i Think it lasted a year before everyone on the road moaned and complained so much, and didnt pay their tickets, that the gvmt gave up on it. It costed more in court cases than it made in ticketing people.

Im not sure what the leniency was around here, as i just started driving when the program started up, but everyone from grandmothers to full-time race car drivers were pissed off about the "money-grabbing cameras".

Not to make any cops on here mad, but they stuck the fattest, and probably least physically fit officer behind that ghost-van with the camera in it. Even if someone was excessively speeding, that guy didnt bat an eye. He'd do the paperwork, and im sure he would hop on the radio and try and get a REAL cop to come and track the speeder down. But if someone is excessively speeding, you want them to stop when they are speeding, not after they get home.

Im not saying go as fast as you want. the probability of a fatal accident goes up when the vehicles involved are going faster. I posted this article a long time ago, but i still agree with what it says.

http://sense.bc.ca/disc/disc-05.htm

I think instead of trying to cash in on people in a hurry, there should be a MINIMUM speed limit, and keep the maximum within maybe a 10km/h range of the minimum, maybe a bit more. I think the cameras would be more effective if they caught BOTH ends of the dangerous driver spectrum. If you are unable to keep up with higher speeds, YOU SHOULDNT BE ON THE FREEWAY!

rant over :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
i read that from the article, but ive never seen it before. How does it work? 25 mph is a big difference, and a car going that slow when everyone else is going 75 still seems like an obstacle.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Lumpy53 said:
If you want to fight back try this http://www.outfoxphoto.com/home.html . It makes your plate too shinny to photograph. If they can't read your plate they can't send you a ticket. :D
Take a close look at the comparison pictures. The after pic obviously had a longer exposure (or wider aperture, whatever), making it look brighter and washing out the view of the plate.
On the same note, what about one of those 3M privacy filters? The ones that are clear when you look streight on, but turn black at an angle. link.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, keep a photo-flash mounted (temporarily) facing the rear toward the camera (we only have to have a rear plate here) or on the dash (or both). When you pass an unoccupied car on the road, press the button. When you pass a known camera/detector, press the button. The glare from the flash will blind the "camera/detector" and it will need to be serviced until it is useful again. You may also use a laser pointer the same way. Screws 'em up real bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts