Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I had to run a few errands around town so I hop in my car and head off to the first stop. I should've known something was up when a little old lady in a Towncar nearly rearended me at a four way stop. I get to my first stop, run in for a minute, then hop back in the car. As I'm backing out I turn around to make sure nobody's behind me. I notice something odd in the reflection of my car in the shop's windows. I think WTH my tail lights aren't working. Not just one but both plus my reverse lights are still working. I forget the rest of my errands and drive to work with my emergency's blinking.

In the parking lot at work I check the fuse, it's good, both bulbs (they're a little rusty but appear good). I'm stumped so I climb under the dash. The switch goes in and out with the pedal so far so good. It's 100 plus degrees out so I go in to work to cool off. I think if it's not the fuse, switch or bulbs then it can only be a break in the wiring. Excrement. After work I drive home with emergency's flashing hoping no one hits me.

I get home and decide to take another look under the dash. I trace the two wires coming out of the switch to the fuse. Again WTH?, I find weird, cheap three way pinch connector with one broken wire hanging loose. Strange, my car's had three owners, the young couple who bought it new, a little old couple ,and me. I didn't do it and had my doubts any of them did any halfass wiring. Then I remembered the original owners had an aftermarket cruise control added at the dealer (receipt came with the car). Bingo, the dealer did it. Honestly I don't know how you guys who bought other people's "project cars" deal with all the ghetto wiring. It must be a nightmare.

So I took the driver's seat out (the only way I can work under the dash), took out the three connector (the cruise quit awhile back anyway), and soldered the wired back together then heat shrinked it. I then cable tied out of the way how it should've been done originally. Now I have brake lights again........

· Registered
734 Posts
I bought an 87 Si once for a second car while my 89 Si was being repainted, and so I could park the freshly painted CRX with a cover on it for the winter. I didn't realize until I got it home that the brake lights were on all the time when the car was running...someone had messed with the switch on the pedal for reasons I'll never understand, so it was super-easy to fix -- but I was pretty pissed at the guy who sold me the car (who seemed like a cool guy, the car was hesitating a little when I test drove it, so we went to Autozone and he bought plugs, wires, cap and rotor so I could do a tune up in his driveway and make sure the car ran right before I bought it). Luckily for him, he wasn't home when I called him, all sorts of pissed off, to yell at him for putting my safety at risk by not warning me about the brake lights.

Some people suck at wiring and ghetto-rig stuff beyond belief, and some people do it right...if you buy any car that's been tinkered with at all, that's the chance you take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.